Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: ??? for guys with Frontier tillers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

??? for guys with Frontier tillers

I just bought a Frontier RT1149 tiller for my 1025R and I have a question. There are plastic sleeves that go over the driveshaft. One is inside of the other so they can telescope as the driveshaft length changes. My question is that there is a little chain on each end and I'm not sure what that is for and the instructions don't show anything. Is the plastic sleeves supposed to turn with the driveshaft or do you clip the chains to hold the plastic stationary? Any of you guys know what I am supposed to do with them? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,506 Posts
    The chains get secured to anything fixed to keep the plastic safety shield from spinning. There should also be some plastic grease zerks on the shield to lube the points where it attaches to the shaft, these are often overlooked.
    5304 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    The chains get secured to anything fixed to keep the plastic safety shield from spinning. There should also be some plastic grease zerks on the shield to lube the points where it attaches to the shaft, these are often overlooked.
    OK, I did see the little plastic grease zerks. Thanks! The crazy manual that came with it probably has 300 pages and only about 6 of them are in English and don't really explain very much. It is in languages that I have never even heard of before.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks
    I always forget about those plastic grease fitting, might be why my chain was torn off last time I used the tiller. Easy repair.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2012 JD 3520 / 300cx loader / 61" bucket w/tooth bar / iMatch quick hitch
    665 tiller / PHD300 post hole digger / Construction attachments 42" pallet forks/ Ken's Weld on Hooks

2008 JD 3320 / 300cx loader / 61" bucket w/tooth bar / iMatch quick hitch / 445 Backhoe
    60" Frontier box scraper / 60" Woods rotary cutter / 72" KingKutter landscape rake / KingKutter carry all

Gravely Pro Cut 152 Commercial mower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've never had a tiller like this before, but part of the deal with my wife to buy the 1025R was that she wanted a big garden and wanted me to get a tiller. I will be tilling a area that has never been tilled before. Wouldn't I want to set the depth as deep as possible? How do you know how deep you should till? My first thought was leave it as deep as possible and use the three point to adjust the depth. Is that dumb or hard on the tractor? what do you guys do? Do you ever change the depth? I noticed that when you set it on the cement to store it, if it is very deep at all, it sets on the tines instead of the feet and then it wants to tilt cockeyed from side to side even with the stand leg down. Am I doing something wrong? I ended up putting a 3" block under each foot and then it sat nice and even because the tines were not touching the floor. Is that OK. Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    No questions are "dumb" ones, especially if you are new to something.

Ok, I might be able to help a bit. In my experience with "virgin" ground, your best bet may be to first run a plow through the area you would like your garden. This serves three purposes.

First, the plow should make you aware of any sizable rocks under that grass that could make for a costly repair to your tiller.

Second, the plow will break-up the ground and make for a much easier time with the tiller.

Third, the plow will go deeper into the ground than the tiller, which makes it easier for deeper-rooted plants like carrots and potatoes to find nice areas to grow into.

An inexpensive plow, like a middlebuster or potato plow, would do very well in this application. Then if you decide to plant potatoes, you have the right tool to harvest them.

Next is tilling depth. You kind of figure this out as you gain experience, but essentially this breaks down again to how deep the root system needs to anchor itself. Cabbage has a bit deeper root system than corn and beans, but I can usually till the areas for all of these veggies to around 4"-6" and everyone is happy. Till too deep and your corn will fall over at the first good gust of wind.

Finally, the way you are storing it is fine, if you don't have to "wiggle" it to get it lined back up to your 3PH when reattaching. I actually leave mine sit on the tines due to space constraints in my shed. Every little bit of wiggle room is needed.

Hope this helps...
    dieselshadow and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks
    Good points. A plow makes a big difference. The first time I didn't own a plow and it was slow and hard. Eventually I got down 6 plus and everything was nice. I used a friends plow on my second garden and that was much easier for all the reasons mentioned. I have lots of rocks and it's nice to find them before the tiller does.
    2012 JD 3520 / 300cx loader / 61" bucket w/tooth bar / iMatch quick hitch
    665 tiller / PHD300 post hole digger / Construction attachments 42" pallet forks/ Ken's Weld on Hooks

2008 JD 3320 / 300cx loader / 61" bucket w/tooth bar / iMatch quick hitch / 445 Backhoe
    60" Frontier box scraper / 60" Woods rotary cutter / 72" KingKutter landscape rake / KingKutter carry all

Gravely Pro Cut 152 Commercial mower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of the tips guys!! Very helpful!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry, sorta off topic, but those that have recommended using a plow on virgin ground before 'tilling, would a single bottom plow also work well?
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Sorry, sorta off topic, but those that have recommended using a plow on virgin ground before 'tilling, would a single bottom plow also work well?
    Absolutely would. Single bottom plows are quite a bit larger and require more ponies to pull, but it should work fine on a 1023/1025. I had only suggested the middlebuster or potato plow due to their relatively low cost (about $125-$150 at Tractor Supply).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

Green Man (10-03-2014)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast