Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: First Tractor Decision - 1025r/2025r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks

First Tractor Decision - 1025r/2025r

All - This may be my first post on this forum, but I hope to become a regular contributor in the future. I have 20 acres, but really only maintain about 3 acres around the house, trails in the woods and a quarter mile gravel lane with some steep grades. I've lived here almost three years and have gotten by with a 24hp Craftsman 42in riding mower for lawn duties and mowing back in the woods, plus pulling a small trailer for firewood. I use a driveway groomer pulled behind my truck for leveling my lane - works ok, but no way to recover the gravel on the sides of the lane without manually raking.

The implements I plan on using include:
    60" MMM
    H120 Loader
    Rear Blade (60" or 72") with offset capability to pull gravel back onto lane
    Box Blade
    3pt Spreader for salt/sand/ice melt
    3pt 12v sprayer
    3pt 2" receiver hitch (to initially pull the driveway groomer)

Price wise, the 1025r with 60in MMM and H120 loader fits within my budget, especially now with the current 0% financing and $1500 implement credit. The new tractor will take some of the mowing duties away from my rider, which will hopefully extend its service life, as I will really only need it around the house area and between a few trees.

My primary concern is snow removal - initially with the rear blade and loader, perhaps adding a front blade down the road. This past winter we received several snows of 6-8" as well as a couple ice storms, which I'm hoping I can prepare for with pre-emptive ice melt spread on the steep areas of the lane.

Thoughts? Any and all are appreciated.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    My initial thought, you are going to be one happy guy when you get your new tractor.
    636mullet likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Using a loader and rear blade for snow removal will work, but I didn't enjoy it. My $$ would be get the 1025R and with the money saved get the front blade. I use my 1026R for maintaining my 2.2 acres and it's always done what I asked. I started with a 318, a wagon, and an ATV with snowblade. Over the years I've refined it to the 1026R with a 60" MMM for mowing and a 54" front blade for snow removal. I just picked up a 3 point PTO spreader for seed and fert. It could be used for salt, but I worry it'll rust as keeping it clean will be more difficult. I have a sprayer that's 12V and I put it in my 3 point carry all for straying. It only has 2 spray nozzles for about 60" of coverage, but it works well in my acre of yard.

In your situation and "IDEAL" scenario would be a ZTR for mowing and a larger tractor for only tractor duties. That's everyone's "lotto" dream thou
    right?

Lucky for you there are lots of friendly people here with every scenario available to help you decide. Welcome to GTT!

etcallhome and Gizmo2 like this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Nice post 636mullet.
    etcallhome and 636mullet like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    Using a loader and rear blade for snow removal will work, but I didn't enjoy it. My $$ would be get the 1025R and with the money saved get the front blade. I use my 1026R for maintaining my 2.2 acres and it's always done what I asked. I started with a 318, a wagon, and an ATV with snowblade. Over the years I've refined it to the 1026R with a 60" MMM for mowing and a 54" front blade for snow removal. I just picked up a 3 point PTO spreader for seed and fert. It could be used for salt, but I worry it'll rust as keeping it clean will be more difficult. I have a sprayer that's 12V and I put it in my 3 point carry all for straying. It only has 2 spray nozzles for about 60" of coverage, but it works well in my acre of yard.

In your situation and "IDEAL" scenario would be a ZTR for mowing and a larger tractor for only tractor duties. That's everyone's "lotto" dream thou
    right?

Lucky for you there are lots of friendly people here with every scenario available to help you decide. Welcome to GTT!

Great advice on the front blade - I just checked and they are not that expensive for the 1025r - $600 range. I would still need the rear for driveway maintenance purposes, but I could probably live without a box blade for some time. Snow removal is a primary concern as we had to rely on a neighbor last year and I hate to not be self sufficient. I know salt would be corrosive, but I've been looking at poly hoppers with stainless metal parts.

I can do the entire yard in about 3 hours now with the rider. A ZTR would speed that up, but I'm thinking the 60" cut on the MMM will also save time and wear/tear on my rider. If I do win the Lotto, then yes, a ZTR will be added!!

Thanks again!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzrjim View Post
    Great advice on the front blade - I just checked and they are not that expensive for the 1025r - $600 range. I would still need the rear for driveway maintenance purposes, but I could probably live without a box blade for some time. Snow removal is a primary concern as we had to rely on a neighbor last year and I hate to not be self sufficient. I know salt would be corrosive, but I've been looking at poly hoppers with stainless metal parts.

I can do the entire yard in about 3 hours now with the rider. A ZTR would speed that up, but I'm thinking the 60" cut on the MMM will also save time and wear/tear on my rider. If I do win the Lotto, then yes, a ZTR will be added!!

Thanks again!
    I'd do the rear boxblade rather than backblade.

I went with the front full hyd front blade (about $1300 for everything) for snow removal and the rear boxblade for road grading. Boxblade works GREAT and looking forward to getting the snow this winter to use the front. Watched my neighbor with his back blade last year moving snow and it just pushed his tractor around something fierce.

With the 0% financing - every $750 or so will be about $10/month. I'd get everything you think you'd need for the next 6 years and bundle it in as it really isn't costing you anything additional to do so now (no interest.)

Yes the 60MMM will save wear and tear on the rider, but using a $20K tractor to save wear an tear on a $2K (or less) lawn tractor? I mow right around my house, etc with the 1025R and it is actually MORE maneuverable than my 1986 JD180 lawn tractor. Selling the lawn tractor as it just isn't necessary.

Although for the price of the MMM, you can get a decent zero-turn and save wear and tear on your new expensive tractor. I only wanted to maintain one engine and don't have a ton of space for storage, so I got the MMM, but if I had the space for it - I'd get the zero turn for mowing duties and the tractor for everything else.
    56FordGuy and 636mullet like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzrjim View Post

Thanks again!
    Does the $600 include the attachment brackets and everything else as a complete unit?
    Keith

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Does the $600 include the attachment brackets and everything else as a complete unit?
    That gets you the basic manual blade (no hyd tilt/lift)
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    I sort of thought that.
    Keith

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    Yeah...didn't research far enough. $1500 for full hydraulics.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast