Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Front Axle Spindle Leak

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks

Front Axle Spindle Leak

Hi all
    Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, Or has any advise about it.
    Not sure how much is going to be involved in replacing this seal, hoping someone else had gone through it.

Item 25 in the picture is my problem I believe.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PU03536________UN17FEB11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	572033
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    there is a recent thread here on GTT about this.... Last week(?). Anyway, Yup, it's a booger to do. Guess the over all opinion was ... if it's just dribbling, just leave it alone or attend to it if it gets really bad. Your choice.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseMouse For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-17-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leney View Post
    Hi all
    Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, Or has any advise about it.
    Not sure how much is going to be involved in replacing this seal, hoping someone else had gone through it.

Item 25 in the picture is my problem I believe.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PU03536________UN17FEB11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	572033
    hate to say this, but when i had my 2520 apart the first time, i replaced just that seal, and it leaked again soon. u better take the top part down, and look at them parts,, that is where the bronz spacer i can't remember the right word, but that wore into the shaft, which in turn left the seal go out.
    i have a thread on here about it. pics show what i'm trying to say-ok.
    i see ur tractor is 4 yrs old. are u running with rear ballast anytime the loader is on? i blame mine on not having enough rear ballast, and when the hydraulics picked the one side of tractor off the ground a lot, it (that bronz piece) wore thru and damaged the shaft. good luck-ok.
    Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-17-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ah ha!

Thank You, I had found some similar threads for other tractors but not the 1 series.
    I just did another search and found the thread you are talking about on a 1026.

You used the same booger term in that one as well.
    Lol
    Thank you.

It's defiantly more than just a drip, but I think I will clean it up really good and monitor.

If I end up tearing into it, I'll be sure to document.
    Gizmo2, fdmars, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    hate to say this, but when i had my 2520 apart the first time, i replaced just that seal, and it leaked again soon. u better take the top part down, and look at them parts,, that is where the bronz spacer i can't remember the right word, but that wore into the shaft, which in turn left the seal go out.
    i have a thread on here about it. pics show what i'm trying to say-ok.
    i see ur tractor is 4 yrs old. are u running with rear ballast anytime the loader is on? i blame mine on not having enough rear ballast, and when the hydraulics picked the one side of tractor off the ground a lot, it (that bronz piece) wore thru and damaged the shaft. good luck-ok.
    Ohhh please don't say shaft damage.
    How much$ did that set you back in parts?

I always have my ballast box on, or snow blower.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2014 1025r

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leney View Post
    Ohhh please don't say shaft damage.
    How much$ did that set you back in parts?

I always have my ballast box on, or snow blower.
    i don't have my paperwork right here now. but it really wasn't that bad. the shaft would be the worst.

i upgraded both sides from the older version to the newer style jd put in the 2720's in 08. now that was somewhere around 2 grand, but afterwards that, i had a larger ballast box made. plus fluid in the tires. jd has wonderful hyd. pumps on these little tractors, one reason i bought what i did back then. but time after time lifting the rear tire off the ground did mine in i think

ur noot gonna know really what u need till u get it apart. but make sure u drop the top piece off too. that is what was knocking my seal out.
    Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i don't have my paperwork right here now. but it really wasn't that bad. the shaft would be the worst.

i upgraded both sides from the older version to the newer style jd put in the 2720's in 08. now that was somewhere around 2 grand, but afterwards that, i had a larger ballast box made. plus fluid in the tires. jd has wonderful hyd. pumps on these little tractors, one reason i bought what i did back then. but time after time lifting the rear tire off the ground did mine in i think

ur noot gonna know really what u need till u get it apart. but make sure u drop the top piece off too. that is what was knocking my seal out.
    Ok thanks so much for the advice.

I only have 230hr on the clock... so this is a bit of a surprise, I defiantly use it hard, but I never lift the rear end off the ground.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2014 1025r

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Hi Leney,

I started the other thread. Same spot yours is leaking from it looks like. Check out my post. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...eak-1026r.html Some where in one of the links some one was nice enough to post some parts of the technical manual procedure.

Ive noticed a pressure build up in my front axle when I remove the dip stick. I blame ambient temp swings. The pressure buildup could be enough to make a semi weak seal leak. I cleaned the spot off with break cleaner to get an idea how much was actually leaking out. But so far mine has stoped leaking for now. And I have used it snowblowing the last two blizzards we had here in 4wd and 2wd.

If its really starts pouring out then yeah I will repair it. An intermittent leak I'll just live with it. But thats just me.

Check out that other post. You should get a feel from the technical manual excerpts if this is something you want to tackle yourself. It didn't look too bad to me. Goodluck
    Last edited by Bobbybats; 03-17-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Linky no workie all fix now
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbybats For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-17-2018)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbybats For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-17-2018)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    I have not seen it mentioned yet,,,, but,,,,
    when is someone going to step up to the bar,,, and dump 140WT gear oil in the front axle?

We did this in the 1950's with an AC HD10 bulldozer,,
    the 90WT would run out,, but, the 140WT stayed put,,,
    after about 5 years, we had to pump some grease in with the 140WT,, as it got worse,,
    but, that was better than leaking.

I can not see where it would be a problem running gears in gear oil,,,

My 1980 Troy Bilt Horse tiller called for 140WT,,
    I am positive those gears ran faster than these axles.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast