• 4 Post By mark02tj
  • 9 Post By jimmylh

Thread: Rear PTO Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2018 @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks

Rear PTO Problem

I installed my rear tiller today on my 1025R ,slide the pto driveshaft on, it turns by hand but when I engaged the PTO switch it doesn't turn the tiller on. I can hear the PTO spinning inside the tractor but its not turning the PTO shaft? What could cause this. I was by myself so I couldn't get down to see it the middle PTO is turning going to have someone sit on seat while I look.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDouglas View Post
    I installed my rear tiller today on my 1025R ,slide the pto driveshaft on, it turns by hand but when I engaged the PTO switch it doesn't turn the tiller on. I can hear the PTO spinning inside the tractor but its not turning the PTO shaft? What could cause this. I was by myself so I couldn't get down to see it the middle PTO is turning going to have someone sit on seat while I look.
    have you confirmed the mid/rear pto selector switch next to the seat (left side) is in the proper position?
    for rear pto operation, i believe that lever should be moved to the full forward position. there is a
    diagram on the decal showing the pto positions
    Levi, keane, ky_shawn and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-15-2018 @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    have you confirmed the mid/rear pto selector switch next to the seat (left side) is in the proper position?
    for rear pto operation, i believe that lever should be moved to the full forward position. there is a
    diagram on the decal showing the pto positions
    Hell no, forgot about that... duh... thanks I will check tomorrow let you know.. THANKS AGAIN..
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    What Dutch just said (maybe you heard the mid PTO spinning?)
    AND: if it WAS the mid pto involved at all, engaging yellow PTO knob WHILE ALREADY OFF seat will shut her down.
    °To check rear PTO, select it only as Dutch said, get off the seat, THEN engage yellow knob - PTO will run with you (carefully) watching from the ground as a stationary operational function (corn auger, wood saw, generator, add other stationary job here).
    °Unseating after engaging ANY selected PTO station first will (should) always shut her down. Hope that helps!!
    °See manual for PTO safetys checklist.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dieseldoghouse For This Useful Post:

DannGerous667 (03-19-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    I think both the middle and forward positions of the PTO lever will have the rear PTO engaged. But in the middle position, both the mid and rear run.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDouglas View Post
    Hell no, forgot about that... duh... thanks I will check tomorrow let you know.. THANKS AGAIN..
    Sometimes we tend to over think things, I'm not implying for one minute you are guilty of this.
    mark02tj, ky_shawn and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Did you get it figured out?

If the PTO selector switch is in the right position, is there a chance that you have a shearbolt on the PTO coupler? My chipper has a small 1/4-20 bolt built right into where the U-Joints are on the shaft. So the PTO shaft will spin in the tractor (what you're hearing), but the entire shaft doesn't spin. Yeah, I had an "oh, crap" moment when that happened to me.

Let us know what it turned out to be.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    I had a real "duh" moment the other day with my new tiller. I cut the pto shaft to fit. I got everything hooked up and started the tractor. Put the pto lever to rear and hit the pto button. I could hear something turning, but tiller wasn't moving. I went into panic mode thinking I had just ruined the pto shaft by cutting it too short. I had flashes of trying to explain to my wife I just ruined a part costing hundreds of dollars. Then I saw the shear bolt was missing off the tiller end of the pto shaft. I had taken it off a couple of days earlier to see what size it was. lol. I put it back and all was good.
    Levi, mark02tj, keane and 6 others like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements