Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blower in the Bucket

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-25-2018 @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

Blower in the Bucket

Well, after a lot of time and thought, I have bought a Billy Goat 9hp leaf blower for cleanup this fall season. I think the best plan would be to fabricate some kind of carry-all with casters and have the blower ride atop. How well does this work? Before I do all this, I was simply going to strap the blower to the bucket and give that a whirl? Do you guys have any tips regarding either setup? Anyone tried either or both, if so which works better?

I have some hills on my property as well as some fairly large areas, so pushing the blower is something I would like to avoid in order to get more accomplished. That said, I am slightly worried about the bucket raising the center of gravity and potentially rolling the tractor. I suppose I can always slow down.

What say you guys? Insight would be appreciated.

I'm already thinking the agrimetal 1600 might have been the right thing to buy, but at over 3x the cost of the BG, I figured I could make it work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    LIS Sailor, What tractor do you have/will it be used with?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have a 1023e with H120 loader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    I have a Little Wonder push blower, and I've thought about doing the same but I think the outlett/airstream needs to be close to the ground to get under the leaves to be effective.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    What about pulling it? I mean if you want to fabricate a mount to your loader, why not just fab up a mount to the 3PH or drawbar and pull that billy goat? Now you have no worries about tipping the tractor and your blower will be close to the ground.
    Myasis Dragon and SulleyBear like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    What about pulling it? I mean if you want to fabricate a mount to your loader, why not just fab up a mount to the 3PH or drawbar and pull that billy goat? Now you have no worries about tipping the tractor and your blower will be close to the ground.
    x2...... Tonton is a sharp guy and worth listening to his opinion!

Much safer approach, I think. Plus you are going to have trouble with the casters and soft ground. I know because I tried a version of that on what I am building, which is mounting my 13hp walk behind blower onto the front of my JD 455 by using the snow plow blade quick attach brackets and the actual front mount quick attach unit itself.

With my setup, I will be able to raise and lower the blower and also angle it from side to side. I haven;t finished it yet but so far, so good. I plan to suspend mine in the air as close to the ground as possible for the blower to work well.

I already have extra of the pieces I am using to fabricate this unit. If I had to go out and purchase these brackets and quick attach unit, it would cost about $1,000 with the hydraulic angling kit.....
    5304 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Sulley, I'd like to see pictures of that set-up once complete.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    Sulley, I'd like to see pictures of that set-up once complete.
    Will do........
    5304 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    The Billy Goat can direct the flow of air down via the adjustable nozzle. So I would aim it down and then manipulate the loader up and down to change flow.

I don’t think I would spend the time to fabricate anything on the loader for this setup. Just use ratchet-straps.

I do not want to tow as then you can only make passes in one direction. Thats why I was thinking if I put it on the back, then I would have get it on the 3pt.

I’m going to try the loader out tomorrow am and then go from there. Just thinking out loud about solutions. Seems like there is a large underserved market for this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I wanted to circle back and report that using the blower in the bucket works amazingly well. Not only that, but there is almost no fatigue, so I was able to accomplish a LOT of yard work. Only reason I cam inside was because dinner was ready!

Using the blower in the bucket was great because you can manipulate the air flow by raising up the blower. For instance I was able to blow out the pacasandra by hover the loaded from above and to the side. Also, the loader can reach around trees. I can't imagine having better maneuverability with the blower on the 3pt. Not to mention you can't see it when driving forward.

I did this with ratchet straps which worked fine. But I think I would like a more permanent/quick way to attach and detach.

Highly recommended. I can post a video if you would all like to see what this looks like.
    Last edited by LIS Sailor; 10-21-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Gizmo2 and felixm22 like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIS Sailor For This Useful Post:

keane (10-22-2014), Kennyd (10-21-2014)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast