Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To much hydro fluid

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks

To much hydro fluid

When I did my 200 hr. Service I added a wee bit to much hydro fluid where it's up to the top line on the stick, cold. What's the best way to drain a little.
    Thanks
    Steve

JD 2012/1023E, H120 FEL, 54" QH front plow, JD ballast box, JD 627 tiller, Kens hooks, Log boom, Original Tractor Cab, Small Grapple

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Best way to drain small measured amounts is to siphon them out of the top or filler. Get a little drill drive pump or one of those trans/oil siphon pumps.

Otherwise you probably have to try to open the drain plug and let some out.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Take a hydraulic hose off/apart but be careful.
    DRobinson and Levi like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    I did this once or twice with the sight glass days of the 2210 & 2305. Not the way I liked , but the only way I could think of was loosen the drain plug till it started to leak. Of course it was way to slow for my needs , so loosened the plug just a tad more, man fluid and plug went everywhere.. The next time , still made a little mess just not as bad, I held on too the plug till I removed what I thought was enough .
    Neither way was good but I couldn't think of another way. I though of loosening the oil filter, didn't know if it would ruin the gasket. I didn't have a suction hose long enough to put down the fill tube and wasn't sure if it would have worked anyway...

Wish you luck , we've been there.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    If you mean the top of the cross-hatch on the dip stick then you are fine, no need to drain any out. That is the "true" full mark for the sump.

I overfilled mine a bit recently and I used one of those suction-style oil extractors to remove the excess. It worked perfectly. I simply inserted the hose down the dip stick hole and sucked a bit out. Never spilled a drop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extractor.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	34122
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you mean the top of the cross-hatch on the dip stick then you are fine, no need to drain any out. That is the "true" full mark for the sump.

I overfilled mine a bit recently and I used one of those suction-style oil extractors to remove the excess. It worked perfectly. I simply inserted the hose down the dip stick hole and sucked a bit out. Never spilled a drop.

Thanks everyone. When I read the instructions it said that if you are at the top line it will overflow from where ever. ? Where did you get that oil extractor, looks pretty cool.
    Steve

JD 2012/1023E, H120 FEL, 54" QH front plow, JD ballast box, JD 627 tiller, Kens hooks, Log boom, Original Tractor Cab, Small Grapple

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I bought it from Amazon. It has been handy. I have two Honda generators that are a royal pain to change oil due to the goofy crush washer and they make a mess inside the frame. I now suck the oil out and forget the drain plug. Same with another mower engine where the oil drains all over the frame. Now it's mess free. It takes a little longer to drain the oil but it seems to get more out.

On my X500 I always seemed to drain just under 2 qts. With the oil extractor I was about to drain every last drop to the point where when I put 2 qts of oil back in it was right on the full mark.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claudester View Post
    Thanks everyone. When I read the instructions it said that if you are at the top line it will overflow from where ever. ? Where did you get that oil extractor, looks pretty cool.
    My 2720 has the goofy sight glass and the non-existant dip stick. The sight glass seems to be all over the place whereas the dip stick is more consistent.

Looking at the 1023e manual I see the following:

• Check oil level on dipstick. Oil level should be between levels (B) and (C) on dipstick.
    • Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow.
    • If oil is above top mark on the dipstick, drain to proper level.

So you do not want to be ABOVE the top mark.
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

Yep - this!

http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Oil-Extra.../dp/B0000BYO97

Pela 6000 Oil Extractor - IDParts.com

I've had one for years to do top side oil changes on my VW TDI's. Have used it many times for other stuff also - and yes - the hydro fluid on my 2520. At my last change I was relying on the sight glass as I was topping off, but missed it when the glass became full - kept adding until I finally figured out a way to get at the dipstick and ended up 1.5 quarts over full. Got the Pela extractor out and sucked it out through the dipstick tube. That was nice as the extractor is pretty slow, so I sat behind the tractor and watched the sight glass - then pulled the hose out at just the right time to have it show 1/2 on the glass.

If you are at the top line of the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it. I see in your sig line you have a front plow. You know you will loose a little bit of fluid each time you install/remove a hydraulic line. I install/remove my loader many times in the summer and probably loose 1 quart in all over the year.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Yep - this!

Amazon.com: Oil Extractor - 6 liter: Sports & Outdoors

Pela 6000 Oil Extractor - IDParts.com

I've had one for years to do top side oil changes on my VW TDI's. Have used it many times for other stuff also - and yes - the hydro fluid on my 2520. At my last change I was relying on the sight glass as I was topping off, but missed it when the glass became full - kept adding until I finally figured out a way to get at the dipstick and ended up 1.5 quarts over full. Got the Pela extractor out and sucked it out through the dipstick tube. That was nice as the extractor is pretty slow, so I sat behind the tractor and watched the sight glass - then pulled the hose out at just the right time to have it show 1/2 on the glass.

If you are at the top line of the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it. I see in your sig line you have a front plow. You know you will loose a little bit of fluid each time you install/remove a hydraulic line. I install/remove my loader many times in the summer and probably loose 1 quart in all over the year.
    Seeing as how you said it I don't have about hooking up the FEL or something that uses the hydro fluid. Guess I said it didn't I?! Shut up Levi, it's taken care of.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast