Minor dilemma - lifting box blade and rototiller over the side of Big Tex trailer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Minor dilemma - lifting box blade and rototiller over the side of Big Tex trailer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks

Minor dilemma - lifting box blade and rototiller over the side of Big Tex trailer

Due to my short sightedness and lack of time when my 1025R package was delivered last month, my rototiller is still loaded at the front of my Big Tex 18' trailer, with the box blade immediately behind it.

I installed Ken's bolt-on hooks on the bucket and have contemplated trying to lift them off with straps but haven't convinced myself that it would work due to weight on the front end without a ballast box or if it would even lift high enough to clear the side rails.

A normal person who buys an 18' trailer would have a vehicle big enough to hook up to the hitch and safely drive the 1025R up on the trailer to do so. I'm currently in need of a vehicle that will tow a trailer that size, and I don't trust my 2001 Wrangler to keep the tongue on the bumper hitch when I drive up on the trailer.

The self appointed chairwoman of the implement appropriation committee questioned why I wanted a trailer that big before I bought HER a tractor for Valentine's Day. I gave her a clever and convincing answer that worked at the time. Six weeks later she wonders why we have a trailer in the driveway with a rototiller on it instead of tilling up a garden plot.

Suggestions, ideas, laughter or sarcasm? I'm new here but I can take it
    Last edited by rws71; 03-27-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Levi, Robnik, Herminator and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Hook the trailer to the Jeep. Block up the other end of the trailer so it won’t move. Drive up on the trailer and hook implements to the 3-point hitch. Drive off trailer.
    Kennyd, fdmars, Levi and 16 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    No way I would attempt to lift that off without any ballast on the back side. It'll be very tipsy.

If you don't want to use your Jeep...

Do you have wood blocking or other blocking of some kind and wheel chocks where you could keep the trailer in place and stabilized on each end?

A buddy with a truck that could hook up for 30 minutes?
    Levi, OxPath, keane and 5 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Hook the trailer to the Jeep. Block up the other end of the trailer so it won’t move. Drive up on the trailer and hook implements to the 3-point hitch. Drive off trailer.
    ^^^ This. If you have any questions, post up some pics of bumper hitch. I know my 18' really wants to bring up the back end of my Cherokee, but once I get past a certain point it comes back down. Ain't floated away or flipped over yet!
    Levi, OxPath, Robnik and 2 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    ^^^ This. If you have any questions, post up some pics of bumper hitch. I know my 18' really wants to bring up the back end of my Cherokee, but once I get past a certain point it comes back down. Ain't floated away or flipped over yet!
    First go buy a blast box, then do as above.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi, Drifterbike, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    How about using a floor jack at the back of the trailer to keep the Jeep from lifting.
    Levi, Ray_PA, bama1025r and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Which way are the implements facing? I'd do as Coal train suggests, but back on and pick them up with the 3pt. You should be able to at least spin the BB around and put it on the 3pt as ballast before you try to lift the tiller. Put the Jeep in 4x4 and set the brake, too.

If lifting the tiller still seems too sketchy to carry off the trailer, I'd lift it and turn it 90°, and lower it onto a pallet. Then use pallet forks to get it off the trailer. If you don't have forks, buy some. You'll thank me.
    Levi, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-13-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Hook the trailer up to the jeep. Come with the loader at a 90 degree angle from the side of the trailer, try to pick up the box blade. If the trailer lifts it off the deck, even one or two inches you are golden. Set the parking brake on the tractor with the box blade hanging a little. Pull the jeep and trailer forward, lower the loader/box blade to the ground . Connect the box blade to the tractor, repeat at 90 degrees except lifting the tiller, except now with the box blade for ballast. By moving the jeep/trailer instead of the tractor there won't be an opportunity for movement/bouncing/shifting.
    Tomfive, Levi, Oscar Leroy and 2 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcj115 For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (03-27-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcj115 View Post
    Hook the trailer up to the jeep. Come with the loader at a 90 degree angle from the side of the trailer, try to pick up the box blade. If the trailer lifts it off the deck, even one or two inches you are golden. Set the parking brake on the tractor with the box blade hanging a little. Pull the jeep and trailer forward, lower the loader/box blade to the ground . Connect the box blade to the tractor, repeat at 90 degrees except lifting the tiller, except now with the box blade for ballast. By moving the jeep/trailer instead of the tractor there won't be an opportunity for movement/bouncing/shifting.
    Boy I have been there a few times but used it the other way. I lifted stuff up then drove the trailer under it cause I did not want swing or anything to go wrong with a awkward load.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    What ramps do you have on the Big Tex - knee or mega?

Do you have any implement avaiable that you could hang on the 3 point for ballast? Do you have a MMM installed? I've lifted my Frontier 5 foot box blade with my pallet forks with nothing on the tractor but the empty imatch hitch and the 60D MMM installed. I was able to get it up to 3 feet to a storage platform.

I'd put on the mower, if you have one, and give lifting one of your implements on the trailer a try. You'll either be able to move it or you'll find out that you can't. Just start slowly going up a few inches, and if the back tractor wheels start to lift, put it back down and think about another method.

I'd even consider using a chain to slide the implements off down the ramps to the ground.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 03-27-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Robnik likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast