Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Ballast Question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-26-2016 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks

Ballast Question

Need some opinions on the ballast that I'm hoping to use on my JD 1025r with loader. There is no fluid in the tires at this time.
    I was planning on using only a iMatch hitch along with a Heavy Hitch with suitcase weights. My question is will this work and if so, how much weight should I use? Will there be any reason to put fluid in the rear tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Please read the manual that came with your loader. That probably will not be enough ballast. For the H120 loader JD recommends a minimum of 601 lbs. of rear ballast along WITH fluid filled rear tires.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Why not just buy the JD ballast box for $150? The suitcase weights will be over $65 each, and you would need a whole lot of them to equal a ballast box filled with sand or concrete. Plus with an Imatch you can back right up to it and pick it up without getting off the seat. If storing it is an issue, you can leave it sit outside. Nobody will even try to pick it up and take it, and there are no moving parts that would be bothered by the weather.

Filling the rear tires does nothing for ballast because the added weight is on the axle (pivot point). It only helps bring the center of gravity lower on the tractor when driving on slopes.

Hope this helps.
    Oberhaz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks

Ballast Question

Well I'm using just the Heavy Hitch. I however have eight 70 pound weights and eight 42 pound weights. My Heavy Hitch holds 16 weights. So with all 16 weights I can have 896 pounds on the Heavy Hitch. Since my 1025r is used for mowing lawn I didn't want the extra weight of fluid filled tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 10-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-26-2016 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    Why not just buy the JD ballast box for $150? The suitcase weights will be over $65 each, and you would need a whole lot of them to equal a ballast box filled with sand or concrete. Plus with an Imatch you can back right up to it and pick it up without getting off the seat.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured the ballast box would sick out the back a good bit more then if I went with the heavy hitch.
    I was given a imatch that I reconditioned and need to decide how I want to gain ballast before spending any money on one or the other.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oaksmith View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured the ballast box would sick out the back a good bit more then if I went with the heavy hitch.
    I was given a imatch that I reconditioned and need to decide how I want to gain ballast before spending any money on one or the other.
    The ballast box doesn't stick out all that far, it's more compact than the backhoe, that's for sure. The ballast box is less than 20" from the lower links I believe. The heavy hitch might save about 6" or so... if 6-8" makes that much of a difference, you are operating in some very tight quarters. Additionally you want the weight as far behind you as possible.
    Last edited by Green Man; 10-20-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oaksmith View Post
    Well, in all reality the ballast box being further out beyond the rear axle is actually a benefit. The farther out from the pivot point the more counter leverage you produce. The difference will be about 6 or so inches of extra length with the ballast box vs the Heavy Hitch and weights. BTW, you can weld a 2-1/2" square tube to the top of a ballast box, drill a 1/2" hole through it, and you have yourself a receiver.
    Oberhaz likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    Well, in all reality the ballast box being further out beyond the rear axle is actually a benefit. The farther out from the pivot point the more counter leverage you produce. The difference will be about 6 or so inches of extra length with the ballast box vs the Heavy Hitch and weights. BTW, you can weld a 2-1/2" square tube to the top of a ballast box, drill a 1/2" hole through it, and you have yourself a receiver.
    Exactly! My dealer here and I had this very same conversation this summer. Anyway, thought I would pass this along. ...oh, and, instead of filling my box with concrete, I opted to use patio pavers. That way I can increase or decrease the weight as it applies. "If" I need to store or move it to a tight location it maneuvers quite well with a little off loading of the weight and no tractor needed. Contemplating the addition of a receiver hitch to the box now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1122.jpg  
    Last edited by HouseMouse; 10-21-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    etcallhome, Levi and Oberhaz like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    In reality, the Heavy Hitch sticks out only 6" from the iMatch with the weights and can be reversed to not stick out at all. I also run starter weights on my 1026R and work in some extremely hilly terrain and have had no problems whatsoever moving over 450 yards of gravel. Another benefit of the HH versus the ballast box is it will not drag on the ground. The ballast box must be raised creating a higher center of gravity, where the HH can be left low. Yes, the weights are expensive, but they never wear out and can be used in other places on the tractor. One last thing regarding the receiver, it is visible from the tractor so you can easily back and pick up a trailer without leaving the seat. A receiver welded to a ballast box would be pretty difficult to see. I needed something compact for tight spaces and the HH with weights is over 14" shorter with the receiver out and over 20" shorter with the hitch reversed then a regular ballast box. I wasn't worried about the additional leverage, I just needed a compact design while still providing ballast.
    Last edited by Heavy Hitch; 10-21-2014 at 06:45 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Hitch For This Useful Post:

cheesetrain (10-21-2014), Gizmo2 (10-21-2014)

13. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Good post Heavy Hitch.
    I agree with you on all points. I was reluctant to buy a ballast box but lack of nothing else I did. Not sure Heavy Hitch was around at the time and if it was I didn't know about it.
    I had a weight for our 650 that I used for 20 years but it just wasn't heavy enough. To this day I am still backing into things with the ballast box, especially our fence when snow plowing.
    I still do not have a trailer hitch for the very reasons you mentioned.
    Heavy Hitch and Levi like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast