• 1 Post By J3 Driver
  • 1 Post By etcallhome

Thread: Looking for light grass cutting, but heavy snow removal

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks

Looking for light grass cutting, but heavy snow removal

I have a cabin in NW Wi where my cabin is down a one mile gravel road - no one else on the road, so I need to clear the road of snowfall. I do have a Polaris Ranger with a plow, but we have been hit heavy in recent years where I have no more room to push the snow - about 1/2 mile is very tight. Looking to get a used tractor for clearing the road of snow. I am looking at a used 2210 - have a couple of questions.

1. Am I crazy to use this thing to remove snow for an entire 1 mile gravel road or is it up to the task?
    2. Any issues with using the snowblower on a gravel road?

Thanks in advance.
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjockey View Post
    I have a cabin in NW Wi where my cabin is down a one mile gravel road - no one else on the road, so I need to clear the road of snowfall. I do have a Polaris Ranger with a plow, but we have been hit heavy in recent years where I have no more room to push the snow - about 1/2 mile is very tight. Looking to get a used tractor for clearing the road of snow. I am looking at a used 2210 - have a couple of questions.

1. Am I crazy to use this thing to remove snow for an entire 1 mile gravel road or is it up to the task?
    I see no reason why not. Just take your time. It sounds like the blower is the best option based on your description above.

2. Any issues with using the snowblower on a gravel road?
    None at all. Just keep the skid shoes adjusted up a bit to avoid collecting rocks. Those of us with gravel driveways have been doing it for decades. If you get really big snows I might consider a 3PH blower. Yes, I know backing up for a long distance can be an issue but if you get really socked with snow the 3PH version will do a better job due to the housing being taller - even if it means taking smaller bits.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    The above. Can’t say it any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    PJR832 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    The above. Can’t say it any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    X2
    PJR832 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    X2
    Okay, sounds like the 2210 is up to the task - thanks.

Couple more questions.

1. Looking at a 2003 2210 - has about 700 hours, comes with a mower deck. Any known issues with this tractor or any issues connecting a snowblower?

2. Asking price is $7500 - does that seem like a fair price.

Thanks.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 1026r with the 54” blower . I live near Green Bay. I occasionally bring my tractor to our place “up north “ to open up driveways that haven’t been plowed for most of the winter. I haven’t come across any type of snow I couldn’t handle yet. It’s very slow going when dealing with 20” deep snow. It would be a an all day job to do a mile of road, but it could be done.

I can understand not having anyplace to push the snow, I have that problem myself. I do think you’d be much better off with a machine that can run at least a 72” blower. Most snow removal on roads is done with plows mounted on dump trucks because it’s the fastest way to do it.

Do you own that mile of road? If it is a town or forest road , a simple call to the town or county may get them to plow it at little or no cost to you. Some roads don’t get plowed simply because the town thinks the cabins don’t get used in winter. A friend of mine has to remind the town that he wants his road plowed. But , the snowmobile club seems to think the road shouldn’t be plowed.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjockey View Post
    Okay, sounds like the 2210 is up to the task - thanks.

Couple more questions.

1. Looking at a 2003 2210 - has about 700 hours, comes with a mower deck. Any known issues with this tractor or any issues connecting a snowblower?

2. Asking price is $7500 - does that seem like a fair price.

Thanks.
    I bought a 2210 new in 2004...60" MMM, no FEL. I put 587 hours on it and other than batteries, oil and filters I never spent a dime on it. I took good care of it and didn't abuse it. It never once had to go back to the shop for any repairs. When I traded it in a couple months ago JD gave me $6000 for it in "real" money since we worked off a cash price. I heard it was sold for around $8000. If you look at Tractorbynet or Machinery Pete you will notice there are very few 2210s priced at less than $7000, and the ones that are look rough. So a $7500 ask price sounds reasonable for a nice unit. There are two issues that you need to be aware of on 2210s and one is the fact that the driveshaft from the engine to the rear hydrostat unit has 2 grease fittings that are nearly impossible to get to. There is no mention of them in the owners manual so they are often neglected. You don't know the issue exists until you get some vibration or catastrophic breakage. To get to the grease fittings requires some disassembly of the tractor. Google "JD 2210 driveshaft" or go to youtube where there are several videos. If this has not been part of the previous owners maintenance you will almost certainly have to do it. The chief symptom of a 2210 driveshaft with issues is vibration at high RPM while stationary as the driveshaft spins at engine speed regardless of motion forward or backward. The second issue to look out for is whether the hydrostat cooling fan that is mounted on the same driveshaft is intact. It is plastic and is mounted just forward of the transmission on the same driveshaft that has the grease fittings. These fans are often broken or missing fins as a result of sticks or debris depending on the previous owners usage. The fans are not expensive but require the same sort of labor intensive work that greasing the driveshaft or replacing the driveshaft u-joints involves. I loved my 2210...it really bothered me to trade it in. My new 1023e has some big shoes to fill. But I thought you might want to be aware of those two issues. And anyone with a 1023e, 1026 or 1025r does not have to worry about the hydrostat fan because JD replaced it with a hydrostat oil cooler that is mounted by the radiator on those models. Supposedly the driveshaft is much easier to grease too, but I have not looked into that yet with just a few hours on mine.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements