Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Opinion on H120 with australian compliance kit or challenge 1821 FEL

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks

Opinion on H120 with australian compliance kit or challenge 1821 FEL

Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a JD 1025R while JD Australia has the 1% interest deal. That said I'm hitting a snag, as I understand the H120 is no longer compliant due to a rollback issue, but there's a JD kit to correct for this. The alternative is the locally made challenge 1821 loader and bucket, but its lift height and capacity isn't quite as good, nor does it attract the 1% interest (its about 2.31%).

The dealers keep talking up the challenge loader and bucket, but I haven't been able to see the H120 with the compliance kit in operation.

I'm hoping someone here has a H120 with the compliance kit and can comment, or has the challenge loader and bucket and has a view on which way I should go.

I really like the quick detach and stand on the H120, and the cheaper interest would offset the cost of the compliance kit.

Thanks very much,

craby

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Welcome craby,
    I have not seen any of the smaller loaders with a kit to make them compliant, and I don't see anything in JDParts about it for the H120.

For other who are curious what this is about, there is newer law in Australia that requires all loaders sold to be self-leveling.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Levi (10-23-2014), psrumors (10-23-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    For other who are curious what this is about, there is newer law in Australia that requires all loaders sold to be self-leveling.
    Not that any of us commoners ever know what the intent of politicians are but do have any idea the reason behind the law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    02-26-2017 @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    I don't understand the reasoning behind this law either. I guess it's another way to dumify our population.
    2013 4720 with 400cx loader and 4-n-1 bucket ,485 backhoe with 18" bucket. Soon to come Artillian HD forks,TSC 7' tiller,I- match,Hydraulic box blade,frontier rear 7' snowblower,7' frontier snow blade and root grapple. SOLD2013 John Deere 1025r filb with alot of #hit that's more than 500 characters apparently!

8. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    My guess would be the politicians believe operators are too dumb to curl their load down as they lift so they don't dump the load on themselves.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Edit: Deleted
    Last edited by Traction; 10-23-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Thread got too political

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    Safety laws are there for a reason. As we get older, it seems easier to question the validity of certain safety requirements and some may seem to believe that safety features make us unintelligent. But I doubt we would question the politicians who enacted the law if it ultimately saved the lives of our daughters and sons where a single dumb moment resulted in load rollback that injured or killed them. I can live with features (and laws) that would enable a second chance at life when I too experience a teenage relapse in wisdom.

We all have our unexpectedly dumb moments. So even if the law only prevents 1 single rollback death, I bet you would all be glad if it was your life or the life of a family member that it saves.

Plus, it would be awesome to have a self leveling loader.
    This may get political so I must be careful...
    Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this whole "if it saves one life" mentality. Such thought has brought us gas cans that don't work, RIO systems on lawn mowers, massive notso common sense guns laws that disarms law abiding citizens, regulations the drive up costs, inhibit business growth and force manufacturing out of this country. Why do we ever let rapists and murderers out of prison on parol? Surely it's worth one life to keep them jailed isn't it?
    Would you be willing to pay $1000 more for your loader? And have it lift less because of the extra linkages involved with self leveling? I for one am not willing to have my government dictate more things in my life that cost me more money.

I could go on for hours but I'll stop there...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

kitfox (10-27-2014), Marlin (02-01-2015), psrumors (10-23-2014)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Welcome craby,
    I have not seen any of the smaller loaders with a kit to make them compliant, and I don't see anything in JDParts about it for the H120.

OK, don't understand the self-leveling law but would like to know what that has to do with the "rollback issue"?? Wouldn't get much on the FEL if it's level all the time or be able to keep it in the FEL. Can't dig if it's level either. Am I missing something here?
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    OK, don't understand the self-leveling law but would like to know what that has to do with the "rollback issue"?? Wouldn't get much on the FEL if it's level all the time or be able to keep it in the FEL. Can't dig if it's level either. Am I missing something here?
    X2

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Self leveling keeps the angle of the bucket where you put it, not necessarily "level".

If I set the bottom of the bucket level (or any other angle) at ground level, on a normal loader the bucket will tilt back as I lift it to max height. It's a function of the geometry if the loader.

With a self leveling loader, there is an extra linkage that causes the bucket to remain very close to the same position through the entire range of motion. It's not perfectly exact, but it is super close. If you're using pallet forks and lift a pallet off the ground, it will stay level all by itself as you lift it. If you scoop up a bucket full of dirt and tilt it all the way back, it will stay tilted to that position all the way to the top of the loaders lift range. If you have loose, large, or uneven items on the bucket or forks, it is possible for the bucket to tile backwards enough as you lift for stuff to fall backward toward the operator, potentially causing injury or damage to the tractor.

The downside of MSL (mechanical self leveling) is that it adds weight with the extra linkage which reduces capacity, and adds height to the loader arms which makes it a little tricky to see around sometimes.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

jgayman (10-23-2014)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast