Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Tire Chain Alternatives

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks

Tire Chain Alternatives

With the impending winter I know a lot of us have been pondering whether we need chains when plowing with our SCUTs. Just curious if anyone is using any of the "alternative" traction products.

I'm anticipating needing... something but, I'm not thrilled with what I expect to happen to my driveway if I throw chains on my 2032R.

Deere markets their "Terragrips" for lawn tractors but they don't carry anything like that for the SCUTs. But I did find a company that does. Rubbertirechains.com carries the same product as the Terragrip but in a bunch of additional sizes. And these are about half the cost ($198 incl shipping) of standard steel chains. ($360 w/shipping)

Has anyone played with these? Views? Opinions? Wild guesses?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Just an observation dosed with simple logic... Rubber chains is simply adding "AG Tread" strapped onto your "whatever tread" tires. It is well known that Ag's and R4's are only slightly better IN SNOW than turfs. Turfs are useless without chains and Ag's and R4's are only slightly better thus the only way to go is steel on pavement for every tire.

If you are worried about the driveway finish or re-coating (paint) simply keep wheel spin to an absolute minimum in all situations. Use the 4WD plus "Rear End Lock" in gear when plowing and judge the amount of tire slip against the amount of snow the machine is pushing. If it slips... push less snow per pass.

Manuvering in tight spots to turn around, unlock the RE locker and if you can manage, unlock the 4wd until you get straight(er) for the next pass. The larger the turning radius, the less chains will mark pavement. (All bets are off with "lugged link" chains, I have never used them other than on a car, they must be real "pavement coating eaters"!) I don't care on my own "worn out" black top, but I'm damned carful with the neighbors especially one where I have to back uphill. "Straight, RE Locked and 4WD IN." Same for backblading away from buildings, etc...

I just can't see rubber traction aids except for possibly 2WD passenger cars and even then properly adjusted chains will be far more useful and safer including the "cable" type. Mine go on when it starts to look like continuous freezing conditions and I take them off when the sun warms my neck in the spring, I don't mess with "off and on" chains all winter.

Experiment! See what it takes to do your plowing and what your machine wants to keep it from spinning. It may take you a couple extra passes (extra seat time!) or higher plowing speed (watch that snow fly!)... Experiment!
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5304 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    bob
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 09:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    With the impending winter I know a lot of us have been pondering whether we need chains when plowing with our SCUTs. Just curious if anyone is using any of the "alternative" traction products.

I'm anticipating needing... something but, I'm not thrilled with what I expect to happen to my driveway if I throw chains on my 2032R.

Deere markets their "Terragrips" for lawn tractors but they don't carry anything like that for the SCUTs. But I did find a company that does. Rubbertirechains.com carries the same product as the Terragrip but in a bunch of additional sizes. And these are about half the cost ($198 incl shipping) of standard steel chains. ($360 w/shipping)

Has anyone played with these? Views? Opinions? Wild guesses?
    I have used "rubbertirechains" on my 455(with snow blade).....on my blacktop driveway. For me, on my driveway, in icy conditions, they got very slippery. Yes they protect the driveway, but in freezing rain, sleet and then snow they became a PITA!!!!! My driveway is slightly sloped which made things worse. I have used rear tire chains on my 1026R with a 54 inch snowblower and have had no problems. Yes, if I am not careful,
    I can leave slight chain marks on my driveway. I can live with that.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    12-13-2016 @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    I'll go along with the others. I feel ice will be your enemy. Steel chains may mark up your driveway, but they will help on the ice. I doubt the rubber chains will do much good on ice.
    John Deere 1023E with H120 loader, 54D mower deck, JD Ballast box, iMatch, Frontier forks, & a Frontier SB1154 snowblower.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberhaz View Post
    I'll go along with the others. I feel ice will be your enemy. Steel chains may mark up your driveway, but they will help on the ice. I doubt the rubber chains will do much good on ice.
    I concur! I have a horseshoe drive and both sides climb uphill.... chains are King! Never had an issue with making the drive. Ice, well who goes out during an ice storm?
    Duke Snyder and Levi like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Agree with the others ,,use steel chains. I only had one pair of JD chains, they lasted me maybe 2 seasons. After that took regular v and bar type car chains and made my own. I've only had one cross link to break or wear out in the past 12 years and believe me they get used. Every time out is a minimum of 2-3 hrs and sometimes all day.
    Yes , over the past 40 + yrs of living at my house and plowing my sloped driveway if I spin the wheels you may see some marks on the concrete but nothing of concern. On asphalt again if I try to take a full blade and the snow is 24" deep and wheel or wheels spins again yes a few marks ,but again nothing to worry about, Next time the drive is coated you never know if or where the marks were, so again no concern.
    When rubber tire chains first came out a telephone company administrator in charge of our vehicles decided we would switch from steel chains to the new rubber chains and then even the steel cable chains ,,what a PIA . Didn't matter if we were driving around town or out in the country . We was hung up, had more accidents , sliding down hills with these chains on . You would apply your brake to go down a hill , even use low gear and if the the rear tires would slide chains made the vehicle into a big skate board...... SAME YOUR MONEY not yelling just saying.. don't buy them .

Buy steel chains , use them try not to spin your tires and at the end of the winter you'll be safe and your driveway will look fine .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    bob
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 09:39 AM
    Thanks
    If you decide to go with steel chains, tirechains.com, is a good source.
    Gizmo2, HydroHarold and felixm22 like this.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bob For This Useful Post:

OxfordGreen (12-06-2015)

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    I put steel chains on our 2320 in 2008, haven't taken them off yet. Ran steel chains on the 650 for 20 some years before that. I have never had any issues with damage to the driveway.
    Levi likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have a little 318 and last winter even with R1 tires I could not go anywhere. I purchased a set from tirechains.com and they have been on ever since. I have a gravel drive put park in a garage with a cement floor and have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-27-2016 @ 09:50 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I'm just lucky, but my driveway is level. I don't use chains at all, and had no trouble plowing out my driveway with 4wd.
    2014 John Deere 1025r
    John Deere H120 Loader
    60D drive over deck with hydraulic lift
    Femco 40 gallon 3ph Sprayer
    John Deere Ballast Box
    John Deere 54" Plow with Quick Hitch
    Craftsman Plug Aerator
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks
    psrumors Custom Seat Springs
    OC Gizmo 2150 lumen LED Lights

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 TRD with level lift and aftermarket wheels/tires.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast