Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Snowblower Blues 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Thanks

Snowblower Blues 1025R

When I bought my 1025R in August, I included a 54" snow blower on the order. The dealer told me they could not get it in until late September, but it wasn't a big deal since we don't usually get snow that early. Because of some problems I had with the initial delivery of the tractor, mowing deck, and front blade, and because I paid for setup, I asked them to install it and make it work when it was delivered. They agreed, and a technician came with the snow blower to take care of it. Unfortunately, they forgot some parts and could not complete the install. I needed to mow one more time and so I put the mowing deck back on. I agreed to complete the snow blower install if they would give me the parts.

One bizarre aspect of the snow blower is that they only give you one drift cutter depending on the type of tractor you have. (It even says this in the manual!) I wasn't happy about this, and the dealer told me he will give me a second one. (Still on order.) This still doesn't make sense to me. If I have to cut crosswise through a big drift on my driveway, it's quite irrelevant what type of tractor I'm driving.

So I picked up most of the missing parts when I was at the dealer for something else and embarked on the installation myself. There were a couple of problems installing the shaft from the mid PTO to the front of the tractor. The front end was over-painted and it wouldn't go far enough into the bushings to get it onto the PTO at the back end. I had to take the shaft back out and scrape the paint off, even sand it a little, then clean it and re-grease it. After all of that, I still couldn't get it to lock into the mid PTO spindle. I finally figured out there was a protective plastic sleeve hidden inside the connector on the shaft. The manual specifically mentioned to remove the protective sleeve on the other end (which was painfully obvious), but said nothing about this plastic insert that was pretty hidden. The manual also mentions a torque spec on the bushing hardware, but there's no clearance to get a torque wrench with a socket on it into the space between the bushings. The supplied bolts were too long. But I got it together and "estimated" the torque and now it works smoothly.

I then discovered that the pin on the quick hitch would not go all the way into its hole to lock the angle at 0 degrees for the blower. I released the pressure in the hydraulic lines and was able to line the holes up and feel the pin from the bottom, but it still wouldn't go in, even with some help from a rubber mallot. (I decided against trying a sledge hammer since I knew I would need to take it out at some point.) I decided to loosen the big nut on the pivot point pin on the bottom of the hitch to see if there was some play there. I have a wrench that size (1 1/8"), but I couldn't budge it. My biggest socket was only 1 1/16", so I ended up using a large, long-handled pipe wrench and all my strength. It finally turned. At 2 or three turns, the pin went into the hole. The nut was still plenty tight, so I suspect that it was over tightened and somehow distorted the hitch assembly.

The hydraulic lines that came on the blower had right angle connectors on the ends. There were also connectors appropriate for the 1025R in the parts bag, but I had to change them out. I was careful to release the pressure and I took extreme precautions to deal with the hydraulic fluid that I knew was coming, but I still managed to make a mess in the driveway.

I was ready to test the shaft and see if the blower worked. The dealer had generously greased the shaft in every conceivable place. I know now that I should have wiped off any excess grease before firing up the PTO. Little did I know that the shaft is self-cleaning!! Several more marks in the driveway.....

So I'm all ready to hook up the chute hydraulic lines and wrap this project up. And they're too short!!! If I take both lines straight back from the snow blower housing to the 1025R connection points (not bothering to go through the hooks on the side of the tractor, just straight over the top of the front wheel), the black line is about 12 inches too short and the yellow line is about 4 inches too short. I even removed the housing of the chute angling hydraulic cylinder to see if there might be more hose hiding inside. Nothing doing. So I'll call the dealer again tomorrow.

If it weren't for the rest of you on this forum, I would be concluding about now that I am the first person to own this tractor and I'm helping to debug the design, manufacturing, and delivery processes.
    Levi and FredHickory like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    When I bought my 1025R in August, I included a 54" snow blower on the order. The dealer told me they could not get it in until late September, but it wasn't a big deal since we don't usually get snow that early. Because of some problems I had with the initial delivery of the tractor, mowing deck, and front blade, and because I paid for setup, I asked them to install it and make it work when it was delivered. They agreed, and a technician came with the snow blower to take care of it. Unfortunately, they forgot some parts and could not complete the install. I needed to mow one more time and so I put the mowing deck back on. I agreed to complete the snow blower install if they would give me the parts.

One bizarre aspect of the snow blower is that they only give you one drift cutter depending on the type of tractor you have. (It even says this in the manual!) I wasn't happy about this, and the dealer told me he will give me a second one. (Still on order.) This still doesn't make sense to me. If I have to cut crosswise through a big drift on my driveway, it's quite irrelevant what type of tractor I'm driving.

So I picked up most of the missing parts when I was at the dealer for something else and embarked on the installation myself. There were a couple of problems installing the shaft from the mid PTO to the front of the tractor. The front end was over-painted and it wouldn't go far enough into the bushings to get it onto the PTO at the back end. I had to take the shaft back out and scrape the paint off, even sand it a little, then clean it and re-grease it. After all of that, I still couldn't get it to lock into the mid PTO spindle. I finally figured out there was a protective plastic sleeve hidden inside the connector on the shaft. The manual specifically mentioned to remove the protective sleeve on the other end (which was painfully obvious), but said nothing about this plastic insert that was pretty hidden. The manual also mentions a torque spec on the bushing hardware, but there's no clearance to get a torque wrench with a socket on it into the space between the bushings. The supplied bolts were too long. But I got it together and "estimated" the torque and now it works smoothly.

I then discovered that the pin on the quick hitch would not go all the way into its hole to lock the angle at 0 degrees for the blower. I released the pressure in the hydraulic lines and was able to line the holes up and feel the pin from the bottom, but it still wouldn't go in, even with some help from a rubber mallot. (I decided against trying a sledge hammer since I knew I would need to take it out at some point.) I decided to loosen the big nut on the pivot point pin on the bottom of the hitch to see if there was some play there. I have a wrench that size (1 1/8"), but I couldn't budge it. My biggest socket was only 1 1/16", so I ended up using a large, long-handled pipe wrench and all my strength. It finally turned. At 2 or three turns, the pin went into the hole. The nut was still plenty tight, so I suspect that it was over tightened and somehow distorted the hitch assembly.

The hydraulic lines that came on the blower had right angle connectors on the ends. There were also connectors appropriate for the 1025R in the parts bag, but I had to change them out. I was careful to release the pressure and I took extreme precautions to deal with the hydraulic fluid that I knew was coming, but I still managed to make a mess in the driveway.

I was ready to test the shaft and see if the blower worked. The dealer had generously greased the shaft in every conceivable place. I know now that I should have wiped off any excess grease before firing up the PTO. Little did I know that the shaft is self-cleaning!! Several more marks in the driveway.....

So I'm all ready to hook up the chute hydraulic lines and wrap this project up. And they're too short!!! If I take both lines straight back from the snow blower housing to the 1025R connection points (not bothering to go through the hooks on the side of the tractor, just straight over the top of the front wheel), the black line is about 12 inches too short and the yellow line is about 4 inches too short. I even removed the housing of the chute angling hydraulic cylinder to see if there might be more hose hiding inside. Nothing doing. So I'll call the dealer again tomorrow.

If it weren't for the rest of you on this forum, I would be concluding about now that I am the first person to own this tractor and I'm helping to debug the design, manufacturing, and delivery processes.
    Thank you for posting this as I'm doing initial install of my 54" blower this week. Your help is much appreciated.

Shame on your dealer!

I'm a new member but have been lurking for a while. I would guess 75% of problems relate to dealer assembly and set up. My dealer thankfully did a vg job for the most part.

I am surprised JD doesn't do more of the assembly at the factory. They lose control using their present system.

Just my 2 cents.

Phil
    johnH123 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    I'm not going to comment on most of the initial problems you mentioned because I have no experience with SB mounting on the 102X series. That being said all SB up-stop and implement drive kits I've used include the specific hydraulic hose extensions and adapters needed to match-up to your machine. Any chance these parts are missing? Did you receive a parts list with your literature kit?
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Good post keane. Like Phil D stated, it may help others.
    Love the self-cleaning comment.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-29-2017 @ 03:20 PM
    Thanks
    I just dropped my off at the dealer today to get the snow blower set up, I had told him I would just pick it up when it came in and do it myself, he said " I don't think you want to do that, let us do it" i'm starting to understand why!
    2016 2032R - Turf Tires - 62" MMM Auto Connect - H130 FEL 53" Bucket - Piranha Tooth Bar - Ken's Hook's - Artillian Forks 24'' 42'' - IMatch - Ballast box - 54" 3 pt Snowblower - JD 45 Gallon 3 pt sprayer - CMP Attachments 3 pt Dethatcher - - JD Core Aerator - Trac-Vac 880 - 2060 Box Blade

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Sorry your having some much trouble, sounds like most of the trouble is from your dealer setup. Dealer had installed mine and tested it before delivery in July. I had connected mine for about 5 min then, so Sat I installed everything except the blower. At first one of the hoses was to short, till I seen the one hose was wrapped down under the lift cyl on frt quick hitch....DAh..
    One day this week I might try the blower just for safety sake, but I feel it should be OK .. I have to say I have a pretty good dealer.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post

This is exactly why I installed my own. Was NOT hard to do. Time consuming yes. Hard no.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks
    I'm quite familiar with the issue of the short hydraulic hoses for the cylinder that rotates the chute. I had been putting off purchasing a blower trying to get by with a the 54" front blade and the loader on the 3720 for the heavier snows. As the snows accumulated last winter and I started to run out of room to push the snow, and an approaching monster winter storm that was predicted, I bit the bullet and purchased the 54" blower. I already had the mid pto and quick hitch for my 52 broom installed so all I had to do was hook up to the blower and go. Not so fast.

I too discovered that the hoses to the chute cylinder were as you said about 12" too short. It was too late to get new hoses but I had fabricated some extensions a few years ago when I used my brother's 47" blower from his 425 on my X748. Other than looking like some classic red neck engineering it worked fine long enough to get new hoses. I called my dealer the next morning and he brought new hoses and installed them. The hoses are not the same as the factory hoses as they are considerably stiffer and more difficult to attach and detach in cold weather so they are ordering new hoses and and will be installed probably in the next week or so.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tweivoda View Post
    The hoses are not the same as the factory hoses as they are considerably stiffer and more difficult to attach and detach in cold weather so they are ordering new hoses and and will be installed probably in the next week or so.
    Interesting. I always thought the JD OEM hoses were unusually stiff in cold weather. I recently replaced brand new JD hoses on a rear blade because they were too long. The JD hoses had a ribbed plastic feel to them and were very stiff. The replacement hoses I got at the local hydraulic shop are very smooth and flexible. Much more rubber-like.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tweivoda View Post
    I'm quite familiar with the issue of the short hydraulic hoses for the cylinder that rotates the chute. I had been putting off purchasing a blower trying to get by with a the 54" front blade and the loader on the 3720 for the heavier snows. As the snows accumulated last winter and I started to run out of room to push the snow, and an approaching monster winter storm that was predicted, I bit the bullet and purchased the 54" blower. I already had the mid pto and quick hitch for my 52 broom installed so all I had to do was hook up to the blower and go. Not so fast.

I too discovered that the hoses to the chute cylinder were as you said about 12" too short. It was too late to get new hoses but I had fabricated some extensions a few years ago when I used my brother's 47" blower from his 425 on my X748. Other than looking like some classic red neck engineering it worked fine long enough to get new hoses. I called my dealer the next morning and he brought new hoses and installed them. The hoses are not the same as the factory hoses as they are considerably stiffer and more difficult to attach and detach in cold weather so they are ordering new hoses and and will be installed probably in the next week or so.
    The blower kits are all the same from what I am told by the dealer. The hoses are the right length for the shortest installation. All other set ups come with the appropriately sized "extension hoses" to match the installation that it is ordered for. I think they were in the up stop kit. So you already had the kit for the broom and did not order the kit for the blower. That is why you did not get the correct hose extensions.

Hoses are stiff. Once they are on for the winter, I do not take them off.... No need with the blower to use the FEL. Blower throws it way out of the way.

Bill
    etcallhome likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast