Need to split transmission case and re seal.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Need to split transmission case and re seal.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-09-2019 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Need to split transmission case and re seal.

Hi all, I'm new to the JD forum. It looks like it is full of good info and good people. I'm hoping to get a little advice about my oil leak issue. I have a new to me 2008 1026r with 600hrs on it. I parked it in the garage used it for a few hours and then noticed a few days later that it was leaking oil. I have investigated this leak and what I found was a half dozen loose bolts holding the right rear tranny case together. I've marked the picture with red dots identifying the lose bolts. The oil is leaking from the the top half of the right side housing (circled in yellow in pic). The JD shop says $1600 to open and re seal. Has anyone tackled this themselves? Are there any special tools needed. Can it be done in place? Or does the whole tranny rear end have to come out. I've noticed that the frame parts will have to come off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_093856.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	584297

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Tomfive likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,268 Posts
    A technical manual will help with this -

TM109719

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/Searc...earch=tm109719
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

mcclean.don (04-04-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    A technical manual will help with this -

TM109719

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/Searc...earch=tm109719
    I agree, I'll prob be picking up one of those.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Might want to call the dealer and ask about this. I didn't read the entire thread but there was a known issue with missing bolts on the 1026R and a recall. Maybe the recall was performed but not correctly or something. Might be worth a shot to further look into.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...lt-recall.html

I also agree to get a TM. Personally I like the CD version. It is cheaper and I have a computer in the shop. Besides for how much cheaper it is, I can print out a lot of pages needed if I want a copy that I can hold. If they get greasy I can toss them and print out new pages. Can't go wrong with either one though.
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Here is another one with some information. Not sure if it is a leak in the same area though.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...026r-leak.html
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

mcclean.don (04-04-2018)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Here is another one with some information. Not sure if it is a leak in the same area though.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...026r-leak.html
    Thanks sennister......looks like I have some reading to do.

BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Might want to call the dealer and ask about this. I didn't read the entire thread but there was a known issue with missing bolts on the 1026R and a recall. Maybe the recall was performed but not correctly or something. Might be worth a shot to further look into.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...lt-recall.html

I also agree to get a TM. Personally I like the CD version. It is cheaper and I have a computer in the shop. Besides for how much cheaper it is, I can print out a lot of pages needed if I want a copy that I can hold. If they get greasy I can toss them and print out new pages. Can't go wrong with either one though.
    sennister--i have a question about the recall--would jd still fix the tractor after all this time?
    reason i'm asking is because of all the flack i went thru on my 3pt arms-now jd did offer me a $100 towards a $636 bill. for the 2 of them. just wondering if there's a shutoff time period
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    Splitting tractors is not an hard job- time consuming, but not hard to split. The hard part is fixing the internal issues. If you have to split it, you should only need normal hand tools and a couple of floor jacks. To put it back together, get a few cheap bolts that match the threads on the tranny case and cut the heads off so that you can align the halves easier.

That said, I have no idea if you need to split it or not, but if you do, don't be afraid of it.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Splitting tractors is not an hard job- time consuming, but not hard to split. The hard part is fixing the internal issues. If you have to split it, you should only need normal hand tools and a couple of floor jacks. To put it back together, get a few cheap bolts that match the threads on the tranny case and cut the heads off so that you can align the halves easier.

That said, I have no idea if you need to split it or not, but if you do, don't be afraid of it.
    ...and if it doesn't come back together easily, don't force it by tightening the bolts. Insure that everything is aligned and engaged and it should roll together easily.
    fdmars, Levi, johnH123 and 2 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    I can't answer your questions, but I'll offer my opinion (which is usually free )

If it were me, I would try to fix the leak with the tranny in place ... if I could reach all the bolts easily.

You may not have to entirely remove the whole case cover, maybe just enough (1/4 to 1/2 inch) to clean and re-RTV the seal. In many cases, there is no gasket, just sealing compound. I am also assuming that your can do this while still on the tractor. If you have to take the tranny out or it has an actual gasket, then clean it up and fix it right.

It appears from your pics that the leak is not trivial, if it were just a drop or two every week or so, I could consider leaving it alone and check hydro fluid level from time to time.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

One other thing, you said you have a 2008 1026R, I thought the first ones came out in late 2011.

Just my 2 cents.
    Herminator likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast