1026 Engine Issues, Diagnose with my video?
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: 1026 Engine Issues, Diagnose with my video?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks

Question 1026 Engine Issues, Diagnose with my video?

Hey I just bought a 1026R used, about 400 hours. He supposedly had taken it to the dealer at the different hour things to do, I even saw the receipt for the 400 hour maintenance service at the dealer.

I first noticed an issue the first time I mowed, about 5 min into mowing I started dropping RPM and so I turned mower off. Whenever I would turn it on it would start losing RPM right away, even with it just sitting there. I noticed I was probably at an 1/8th tank or less so I filled it up and when I first started trying to use it again, it was blowing out a lot of smoke and stuff, but then it's like it became "cleared out" and everything was normal again. I thought maybe it was just something with running low on fuel or something. I've mowed with it and done other stuff for at least another hour or two. Then right in middle of mowing today, I came to a stop (on a slight incline if that matters) and turned mower off. I think I then pulled the throttle back all the way to idle it while sitting there, and it started dropping rpm again and shaking pretty hard. I tried to move throttle forward and it sort of increased RPM but it started dropping right away, and shaking, and then died (this was just sitting there, mower off). I then got it running again and got up to the house where it's flat and tried starting it again. As soon as I start it and up the throttle it starts losing RPM and even blowing some smoke etc. I've checked the oil and it seems fine, it was just at dealer around 15 hours ago with previous owner supposedly and had the 400 hr maintenance done. I'm far from a diesel mechanic, this may be something stupid easy...

I uploaded a video of me starting it and then I give it some throttle, and you can see what happens.

Any help is very very appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    This shouldn't apply when I was already using it to mow and stuff for at least an hour solid though? It just kind of rumbled down to dieing while idling in middle of mowing, and then when I try to restart, it blows smoke kind of blueish white and when I increase throttle as my vid shows, it starts to drop RPM and shake pretty bad etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    As I have learned.... GTT has a lot of excellent advise here..... with plenty of experience.... Would at least give it a ponder. A solenoid is a tricky little booger and if it is or has failed, it certainly wouldn't react the same way each time in all 26R's. Give your thread a little time here and the more knowledgeable members will dissect this issue above and beyond the call of the average Joe.
    Gizmo2 and Duke Snyder like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    This shouldn't apply when I was already using it to mow and stuff for at least an hour solid though? It just kind of rumbled down to dieing while idling in middle of mowing, and then when I try to restart, it blows smoke kind of blueish white and when I increase throttle as my vid shows, it starts to drop RPM and shake pretty bad etc.
    I might first drain the water separator and see if maybe there is excess water in the fuel. Then check the the fuel filters (one is under the floor boards, check your manual) and possibly change them just to be on the safe side. I would drain most of the fuel from the tank prior to installing the new filters (don't run it dry, this will cause even more problems). Refill the tank with know good fuel, not from the seedy gas station that is known for running out of regular unleaded from time to time.

I'm betting on water in the fuel. Also, a good fuel additive may help, but it won't clean dirty filters.

Just my $.02.
    Last edited by 5304; 10-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well the previous owner I just bought it from said he changed the fuel filters at the 400 hour mark. However I checked the inline filter and I had to smear the crap off the outside of it to see in while its hooked up and I can see what looks like a leaf part floating around in there and crap. I'm guessing he didn't change that.... sure doesn't look like it! I'm at less than a 1/4 tank for sure... now's the time to change it. I have to find something to clamp it though. The manual says to check for leaks after changing this, how do I do that other than just watching it to see if it drips?

Am I supposed to see fuel flow through the main fuel filter/sediment bowl? Excuse my ignorance... I'm an electrical/software engineer, not mechanical, and that's my excuse!

I'll have to look at how to drain the "water separator" because I don't even know what that part is or how to do it or how hard it is to do it.

Does this look like theres anything wrong with the injectors?

Thanks for the help!!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Thanks
    I would also bet on a fuel problem or a fuel filter problem. I would also take a look at the air filter...just cuz it's easy.
    Don't lose focus on the fuel system though, that's where the problem is. After all it's a diesel, and a fuel system is about all they got.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Yup. This is a fuel issue. Change all of your filters and examine what comes out. Is the fuel black? Any particles or gunk in it? What color is the fuel?
    ColonyPark, 5304 and Levi like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post

Does this look like theres anything wrong with the injectors?

Thanks for the help!!
    It'll be hard to diagnose anything further until the filters are clean, and the fuel is known to be good and free of water.

The sediment bowl IS the water separator
    Last edited by arlen; 10-29-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I definitely will change the inline fuel filter, he said he just changed the fuel filter which must be the main big one.

What is the water separator and how do I deal with that? What do you guys clamp the inline line before the filter with?

Edit: OK, the water separator is the sediment bowl, gotcha!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast