Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Tilt cylinder blown

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks

Tilt cylinder blown

Hello all

We got a ton of the wettest and heaviest snow if seen in a long time. I was using my 54” blade on the quick hitch and went to angle it opposite direction and nothing. I’ve read before of people blowing out the cylinders on these. Any insight would be helpful.

Cylinder is only about a month old with maybe 50hrs on it. Picked it up from green parts store. Going to try Monday to see if they have some sort of warranty. Does JD sell a rebuild kit for these?
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Hello all

We got a ton of the wettest and heaviest snow if seen in a long time. I was using my 54” blade on the quick hitch and went to angle it opposite direction and nothing. I’ve read before of people blowing out the cylinders on these. Any insight would be helpful.

Cylinder is only about a month old with maybe 50hrs on it. Picked it up from green parts store. Going to try Monday to see if they have some sort of warranty. Does JD sell a rebuild kit for these?
    Most of the ones I have seen are sealed. You would have to cut off one end and then weld it back up after repairing. What is this on? It should not fail that quick so I would return it and see what they say. Are you sure it's blown? Maybe a line get partially disconnected or something?
    PJR832 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    All lines/ fittings, fluid levels are as they should be. I do have a gravel drive and could have clipped a rut or large frozen stone. Attached my blower and tested the chute and it appears the tractor side of things is fine.

Anyone deal with green parts store. I can’t see anything in regards to warranty
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    Haven't dealt with them before, but imagine it should have at least a 90 day warrenty, if not a year. Call your local dealer, they should be able to tell you the warrenty length. Maybe they can warrenty it for you too.
    PJR832 likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    I can't speak to Green Parts specifically, but I purchased a water pump for my 455 from Green Farm Parts a few years ago. Within a few months of installing it, it began to weep antifreeze. I contacted Green Farm Parts and their response was no problem, it has a 1 year warranty. It was winter and I had the cab on. It would have to come off to replace the water pump. I asked if we could wait until Spring, when I would normally remove the cab. Again, no problem.

When spring came, I contacted them again and asked if I could get an advance replacement, to minimize the downtime. Again, they said no problem. Here is the real kicker, they sent the advance replacement out without my paying for it (with an assumed credit to be made upon receipt of the defective pump). Not even a credit card authorization! Strictly the assumption that I would ship back the defective unit.

Guess where I buy my parts now?
    Last edited by martincom; 04-08-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    UPDATE

Pulled the pins and remove the tilt cylinder this afternoon. Cylinder rod came right out. I noticed there were threads on inside of cylinder rod and a bolt to hold it to the plunger. Seems when it was manufactured the bolt was installed cross threaded and only a few turns.

Dug it the chop saw and cut the bottom of cylinder off. Ground and cleaned cylinder as best I could. I then re tapped the cylinder rod and re attached the plunger inside to the cylinder rod adding locktite. Welded the cylinder back together and re installed fittings and lines and bench tested. All worked as it should.

Wish I had taken pictures but it saved me from buying a new cylinder at the dealer for 500$. Even if it only lasts the rest of the season I’ve only lost my time and a litre of fluid!
    fdmars, Tomfive, jgayman and 11 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dombougie For This Useful Post:

jgayman (04-09-2018)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    UPDATE

Pulled the pins and remove the tilt cylinder this afternoon. Cylinder rod came right out. I noticed there were threads on inside of cylinder rod and a bolt to hold it to the plunger. Seems when it was manufactured the bolt was installed cross threaded and only a few turns.

Dug it the chop saw and cut the bottom of cylinder off. Ground and cleaned cylinder as best I could. I then re tapped the cylinder rod and re attached the plunger inside to the cylinder rod adding locktite. Welded the cylinder back together and re installed fittings and lines and bench tested. All worked as it should.

Wish I had taken pictures but it saved me from buying a new cylinder at the dealer for 500$. Even if it only lasts the rest of the season I’ve only lost my time and a litre of fluid!
    Well done, you know your way around a work shop, impressive fix!

If the bolt was only in a few turns, then there was probably plenty of good threads for the bolt when you put it back together, at least as many as a helicoil, I bet it will hold up.

And sadly this is yet another testament to the pitiful state of quality control that it was even ever assembled like that...
    Last edited by AJgrn78; 04-09-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    BigJim55, PJR832, Fozsey and 1 others like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    UPDATE

Did Green Parts decline to warranty it? I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would have not gone down that road unless I couldn't have received a warranty replacement. If your repair would not have been possible or successful, once you opened the cylinder up, it would have likely nullified any warranty.
    Drifterbike and sennister like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Did Green Parts decline to warranty it? I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would have not gone down that road unless I couldn't have received a warranty replacement. If your repair would not have been possible or successful, once you opened the cylinder up, it would have likely nullified any warranty.
    That was kind of my thought. It is one thing if they said, we believe you, we don't need the defective old cylinder back, we will just ship a new one. Unless I really needed that tilt function, I would have sent it in for a new one. Though I have 2 or 3 spare cylinders laying around so I would have just swapped it out while waiting on the replacement.
    Drifterbike likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    UPDATE

Well done.......Nice repair.

Recently, I had a steering cylinder that was leaking severely and the moment the shops found out it was a steering cylinder and would have to be re-welded (verses the threaded type cylinders) I couldn't find a shop who would touch it. And I tried over a dozen different ones. The fact that it was a steering cylinder seemed to be the deal killer. Must be more liability than they want to assume....(?)

I have broken several of the pins which hold the angle cylinder in the quick hitch, but had no issue with the actual angle cylinder itself. In fact, I now use a hitch pin with the "T" handle on top and a spring pin through the bottom so it's easier to change out and keep a couple spare hitch pins in the "spare parts" bin.

I did have a new hydraulic line on my 1025R quick attach hitch blow one morning when I was finishing plowing. It sprayed oil all over everything. The dealer had the technician, Caleb, who installed my Mauser cab and also did all of the implement set up out here within the hour. He inspected the problem and he went back to the dealership and built 4 new hoses and all new fittings and replaced them all and then he also made a protective sleeve and secured the lines in the sleeve, in one of the chrome support rings which are bolted to the side of the tractor frame.

No problems since....Not sure why the line ruptured but the new lines made at the dealership seem to be heavier quality rubber hydraulic line than came on the hitch from the factory. With my 455 and over 20 years of HARD plowing, never had a hose fail but did lose several of the 90 degree fittings at the angle cylinder because of ice building up in the hitch around the angle cylinder and then when the plow is angled, the ice would bend the fitting on the end of the cylinder.

On the 1025R with the factory exhaust pipe, it throws the heat and exhaust right at the area where the ice formed on my hitch on the 455 so it keeps that area free of snow and ice. A little Simple Green and the exhaust smoke washed right off the back of the plow and hitch area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180104_121851490.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	589058
    Toughsox likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast