First Experience with JD Warranty... Not so good
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: First Experience with JD Warranty... Not so good

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Location
    Holt, MO
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    First Experience with JD Warranty... Not so good

    My 2017 1025R TLB developed a hydraulic oil leak. It has less than 60 hours on it, and per the dealer, has 443 days of basic warranty remaining as of today. After having it for 2 1/2 weeks, they tell me they finally find the leak in the case housing between the axle tube and the main housing. Then the guy tells me that the fluid is not covered under warranty, so I'll have to pay for that.

    Wait... what?!?

    So you're telling me that, you have removed and drained my hydrostatic transmission to reseal this leak, which is under warranty, and I have to pay to put 6 gallons of oil back in it? I said, so you're going to ship this back to me dry because warranty doesn't cover fluid that you drained to do a repair? Supposedly he is going to talk to his warranty manager about it and call me back... 5 hours later, no response. I said, if you took your car to a dealership with a transmission leaking, under warranty, would you expect to pay for the 2-4 gallons of transmission fluid it takes to fill them up again after replacing a valve body? Nope. Didn't think so.

    This is after me calling 5 times for an update on what was wrong with it. I told them when dropping it off that it leaks when it sits. Somehow they equated this to "We need to run it for several hours and check for leaks." They power washed it, did this "test" twice, put cardboard under it, then the tech took the following day off. Guy tells me that there's no leaks yet. Once again, it leaks after sitting. He goes and looks at it and, wow, there's oil under it. That was Thursday last week.

    Not very happy. If this ends up being the case, I probably won't be going back to JD for my next piece of equipment or implement.

    2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box
    BXPanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    Harbor Freight quick hitch (it only cost $80!)
    Everything Attachments 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
    Titan Attachments 42" pallet forks

    Then there's my little ol 2008 x304

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Location
    Burton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,757
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 440 Times in 348 Posts
    Not cool! Not cool at all...
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

  4. Top | #3
    goat704!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Location
    South Saint Paul,Mn.
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
    Don't these come with like 6 yrs of warranty on drive train?
    That is definitely a production assembly or poor casting issue, I would guess.
    JD better step up on this!
    Keep us informed please.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts

    So, so wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by jkohnz View Post
    My 2017 1025R TLB developed a hydraulic oil leak. It has less than 60 hours on it, and per the dealer, has 443 days of basic warranty remaining as of today. After having it for 2 1/2 weeks, they tell me they finally find the leak in the case housing between the axle tube and the main housing. Then the guy tells me that the fluid is not covered under warranty, so I'll have to pay for that.

    Wait... what?!?

    So you're telling me that, you have removed and drained my hydrostatic transmission to reseal this leak, which is under warranty, and I have to pay to put 6 gallons of oil back in it? I said, so you're going to ship this back to me dry because warranty doesn't cover fluid that you drained to do a repair? Supposedly he is going to talk to his warranty manager about it and call me back... 5 hours later, no response. I said, if you took your car to a dealership with a transmission leaking, under warranty, would you expect to pay for the 2-4 gallons of transmission fluid it takes to fill them up again after replacing a valve body? Nope. Didn't think so.

    This is after me calling 5 times for an update on what was wrong with it. I told them when dropping it off that it leaks when it sits. Somehow they equated this to "We need to run it for several hours and check for leaks." They power washed it, did this "test" twice, put cardboard under it, then the tech took the following day off. Guy tells me that there's no leaks yet. Once again, it leaks after sitting. He goes and looks at it and, wow, there's oil under it. That was Thursday last week.

    Not very happy. If this ends up being the case, I probably won't be going back to JD for my next piece of equipment or implement.
    In so many ways, THAT IS JUST WRONG, no matter how you add it up, Are they, JD dealer, also caring a loan for the equipment and if so, They own part of the tractor yet, You may have to explain that the fluid is their part of the cost/loan. I WOULD BE LEVED!
    Keep us posted on what they say next. JUST SO WRONG.

    NO LIKES ON THIS AT ALL!!!!

    waltmart

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
    I did a quick google search -- Holt, MO is near Kansas City? If so, I saw Ag-Power and Heritage JD in that neck of the woods. Are you close enough to one of the other dealers? Whether it's tractors, cars, boats, etc, there are good and bad dealers. John Deere makes good tractors, but problems can happen. Quality service matters in times like those. I would hope you don't need many service visits during your first few years. Maybe you could call one of the other JD dealers and feel them out for how professional they deal with you over the phone at least? Don't know, but I've got a couple dealers -- one for boats and one for cars -- near me and I won't set foot in their establishment. It's pretty much ruled out those manufacturer's for me as they're the only ones in the area.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

    jkohnz (04-10-2018)

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Location
    Holt, MO
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    I did a quick google search -- Holt, MO is near Kansas City? If so, I saw Ag-Power and Heritage JD in that neck of the woods. Are you close enough to one of the other dealers? Whether it's tractors, cars, boats, etc, there are good and bad dealers. John Deere makes good tractors, but problems can happen. Quality service matters in times like those. I would hope you don't need many service visits during your first few years. Maybe you could call one of the other JD dealers and feel them out for how professional they deal with you over the phone at least? Don't know, but I've got a couple dealers -- one for boats and one for cars -- near me and I won't set foot in their establishment. It's pretty much ruled out those manufacturer's for me as they're the only ones in the area.
    It's at Heritage right now...

    I know about good/bad dealers. I used to work for a GM dealership as a mechanic. That's why I think this is a total load of BS. I could have torn it down and fixed it myself for the cost of the fluid.

    2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box
    BXPanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    Harbor Freight quick hitch (it only cost $80!)
    Everything Attachments 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
    Titan Attachments 42" pallet forks

    Then there's my little ol 2008 x304

  10. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,042
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkohnz View Post
    It's at Heritage right now...

    I know about good/bad dealers. I used to work for a GM dealership as a mechanic. That's why I think this is a total load of BS. I could have torn it down and fixed it myself for the cost of the fluid.
    Just for giggles and grins, why don't you call the other two dealers and ask the service manager if the cost of the hydraulic fluid is covered during a warranty repair like yours. Does JD's warranty agreement state that fluids are not covered during a repair? It seems the same would be true for engine oil or coolant during any type of service which would require either or both to be drained.

    Also, what is the exact hours on your machine? You mentioned "less than 60 hrs". At 50 hrs the fluid would have needed changed anyway and the suction screen cleaned? Was that service performed? If not, is the dealer going to clean your suction screen when they reassemble the tractor?

    Also, did you deliver the tractor to the dealer or did they transport it? If they transported it, are they charging for that as well.

    The cost of 6 gallons of HyGard is about $97 (BTW: the specs show your tractor uses 3.25 gal). The cost to split your transmission and repair will likely be over $1000. I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.
    Last edited by jgayman; 04-10-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    jkohnz (04-10-2018)

  12. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Location
    Holt, MO
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Just for giggles and grins, why don't you call the other two dealers and ask the service manager if the cost of the hydraulic fluid is covered during a warranty repair like yours. Does JD's warranty agreement state that fluids are not covered during a repair? It seems the same would be true for engine oil or coolant during any type of service which would require either or both to be drained.

    Also, what is the exact hours on your machine? You mentioned "less than 60 hrs". At 50 hrs the fluid would have needed changed anyway and the suction screen cleaned? Was that service performed? If not, is the dealer going to clean your suction screen when they reassemble the tractor?

    Also, did you deliver the tractor to the dealer or did they transport it? If they transported it, are they charging for that as well.

    The cost of 6 gallons of HyGard is about $97 (BTW: the specs show your tractor uses 3.25 gal). The cost to split your transmission and repair will likely be over $1000. I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.

    Hours are about 59.7 if I remember correctly. The 50 hour service came up on this when I took it to them (I hauled it to JD, not paying for them to come get it and bring it back). I specifically asked that, if the unit needs taken apart, could I pay extra for a filter and have them clean the screen. That guy said sure, not a problem at all. I told him I only wanted this done *IF* it was going to require draining it. Otherwise, I would just buy the filter and fluid and do it myself.

    This second guy is the one giving me the hassle. He tells me the filter will cost between $25 and $50, and it will take 6 gallons. Obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to that part. I've watched enough TTWT to know it takes less than 4 lol. I totally planned on doing it myself until I found this leak (which was around the 47 hour mark). Give me a service manual, and I can tear anything apart and put it back together again (correctly).

    The cost of the fluid isn't "the end of the world". I can only take that the experience with the warranty and dealer is only a sign of things to come, though. If something else breaks, which usually happens, I will expect the same kind of nonsense. But, for sure, I will be calling around, maybe even to another town to find a non-Heritage dealer, to see what they say, once they open tomorrow.
    Last edited by jkohnz; 04-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.

    2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box
    BXPanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    Harbor Freight quick hitch (it only cost $80!)
    Everything Attachments 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
    Titan Attachments 42" pallet forks

    Then there's my little ol 2008 x304

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jkohnz For This Useful Post:

    Tractor Tim (05-07-2018)

  14. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Location
    North New Jersey
    Posts
    411
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.
    You are right, its not the end of the world. But, when you spend the kind of $$$ these new tractors cost, and it has a failure with such low hours.....then its the principle of the matter more than anything else.
    This dealer is an ambassador for JD in everything they do, so yea, Id be sure to contact someone up the chain and let them have a piece of your mind. This is just wrong on so many levels it isn't funny.
    BigJim55, Marlin, tj1 and 5 others like this.

  15. Top | #10
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,042
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    You are right, its not the end of the world. But, when you spend the kind of $$$ these new tractors cost, and it has a failure with such low hours.....then its the principle of the matter more than anything else.
    This dealer is an ambassador for JD in everything they do, so yea, Id be sure to contact someone up the chain and let them have a piece of your mind. This is just wrong on so many levels it isn't funny.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I'm just curious if this is the official JD policy on fluids during a warranty repair or if this dealer is just being a douche. I guess I was looking for a silver lining to get over this particular hurdle. If it was due for a fluid change anyway for which you would have had to buy the fluid and do it yourself you are now getting the dealer to do it for you (and you're still buying the fluid). I guess you could always insist that they put the old fluid back in. :-)

    I would be more concerned about what the actual final charges are rather than the service guy's shooting from the hip estimates. In other words, I'd be pretty tweaked to get charged for 6-gallons of HyGard knowing my tractor could only take 4 gallons at most.
    DRobinson, BigJim55, tj1 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    jkohnz (04-10-2018)

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •