Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 1025R Difficulty Shifting Gears - Any Advice

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

1025R Difficulty Shifting Gears - Any Advice

Before I call the dealer, here's what I'm concerned about:

After starting my tractor and warming it up, I sometimes have real difficulty shifting into either gear (High or Low).

At other times, when stopping to get off the tractor, the same happens - I cannot shift into neutral. I have to turn off the tractor to get off safely.

Advice please and thank you!

==Grizzler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Acreage newbie on 120 acres of rolling Alberta prairie.
    5065E "Bullfrog" Cab, FEL, snowplow, bale spears, quick-hitch, bucket, 72" Piranha toothbar, pallet forks
    1025R "Tadpole" FEL, MMM, iMatch, tiller, rake, ballast box, backhoe (+BXpanded goodies), roughcutter, land plane, Kenny's Bolt-On hooks/diff-lock pedal/ext iMatch hook, Piranha tooth bar, Psrumor's better seat springs, Artillian forks/front-hoe/front i-Match, LED lights, RIO disable, fire extinguisher, Heavy Hitch
    Z950R Tweels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    I run into the same problem. Sometimes it feels like the shifter is welded in place. Other times, my pant leg or leg accidentally and easily knocks the tractor into gear when I'm moving on or off the backhoe without dismounting the tractor.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the hard shifting, but I'd bet it's related to a loaded drivetrain. I say this only because the many times that I have accidentally knocked the shifter into gear, the tractor was running in neutral; no load on the geartrain. I know there were plenty of other times when the shifter worked easily when I intended it to, but those times don't stand out like the hard shifting or accidental shifting occasions.

I don't think there's anything abnormal with the functioning of the range shifter and it's just the nature of the beast. The only "fix" I've found for the hard shifting is to "bump" the drive pedals, though this often results in some gear grinding if I am aggressive.

I just reread your post. Your shifting issue may be more severe than mine. Are you stopping and parking on inclines? That could contribute to a loaded drivetrain.
    Last edited by OxPath; 11-02-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    Green Man, 5304 and Levi like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

4. Top | #3
    JKR
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    I have the same problem but maybe not as bad. I just push the brake peddle down all the way tap the forward or reverse peddle and the gear shifter now moves in or out of gear.
    I;m not say it's the fix for you, but with a try.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    This thread has some good reading and also has the neutral creep adjustment procedure from the tech manual.
    farmgirl19, 5304 and Oberhaz like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,053 Times in 2,218 Posts
    This is normal I think. All you have to do is tickle either the forward or reverse pedal while gently pushing the lever in the direction you want it to go and it will move like butter. You don't have to put much pressure at all on the pedal - not even enough that the tractor will move. Been using hydrostatic Deere tractors for many years and I've got into this habit for so long I don't even realize I am doing it.

There is nothing wrong with your tractor. It's just that there is usually a slight load on the transmission at all times with the hydro.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-30-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    I'm seeing the same problem on my 1025r with 4.5 hours. Usually I can't shift into L, so I shift to H, touch the foward pedal and then shift to L. Happens about 50% of the time.
    If it becomes more problematic, I may have to investigate the linkage.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    It really is just a loading up of the transmission. I simply press on the pedals, forward first, then reverse, just a tad and it slips right into gear. I was doing this just now when moving and stacking firewood without even thinking about it, but noticed I do this every time I shift the lever. Both my 1023E and now my 1025R will rarely shift into gear easily without just touching the pedals as stated above.

Just my $.02
    farmgirl19 and W9GFO like this.

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    To check for creep (where the neutral adjustment isn't quite right) one must jack the rear of the tractor up (safely mind you, it can tilt due to the front axle pivot) and see if the wheels turn while the engine is running. It's easy enough to do and when properly adjusted will make gear shifts smooth as silk as long as you are on flat ground. Check out the previous thread I linked to earlier. It explains it in much better detail.
    farmgirl19, 5304 and Oberhaz like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    its rare but when it happens all I do is shift my weight a bit (think when you were a kid starting a sled down a hill, ha!).. That's all it takes to shift when it happens.. And yes.. its always when I'm on some kind of a slope..

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks
    If it takes more than a "tickle" on the pedals to make it shift then I would say it is the neutral creep adjustment. I had to adjust mine, the only problem is it was done by the dealer and in the process they over tightened the shock that centres the pedals and it eventually snapped, after warranty of course.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast