Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Air filter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks

Air filter

Anyone else have this problem? I get new air filters for my 1025 and as I have done with any dual air filter system I have dealt with in all my years running equipment I put the inner filter in first and make sure its seated then I put the outter filter on and before I push it in I make sure the inner filter is pushed in and straight before I put the outter one in all the way.

So today I do that and I can't get the outter filter all the way in. So as I pull them out I see that the inner filter is sticking way out from where it should be. I pull it out and see that end has knobs on it where my old filter doesnt. So I just grab the new filters and the old filter and off to my dealer which is 40 mins away.

I go in and say to parts guy you gave me wrong filter and as he is looking up part he says did you smack it? I say no I have never had to smack a filter, he reaches over and smacks the end of the new inner filter and basically forces it into the new outer and then says see? I respond back by taking it out and just drop in old filter and say I never had to do that before. This one just slides right in. He says well not anymore and goes and comes back with a different inner filter and says this is what they have for yours. They are all the same. He then tells me that this is what JD has changed. Both filters are the same height when standing side by side, I checked.

So I said well Thanks, its still bs that i have to beat a air filter together, go to say hi to my sales man and tell him I want to change tires and what does he think about the tires on a tractor in the show room and he says have you let the pressure out of yours and i said yes but I still want different tires and start to ask if he can get them and he says whats wrong with your air filter so I showed him and he says spit on it when you get home. It wil slide right in. Yeah oldest trick in the book.

Anyway, he gets up and says good luck with everything and I just said thanks and headed for the door.. I see him heading to the back to talk to parys guy and decided I am going to try another dealer. Over the last year things have changed. Maybe its me? Before he was always ready to jump on the computer and spend my money but now its like he cant get me out of there fast enough.

I put the 2 filters together and then I had to put a thin line of oil on the filters, and then shoved both of them together as one to get them in the housing and then had to fight getting the cover back on. Closing the 2 tabs were harder than I ever had to do in the past. Had to actually take side panel off to do it. Glad I put the pins in like everyone else. Getting a wrench to take panel off probably would have pushed me over the edge.

I did notice my old inner filter was made in China and the new inner filter is from Mexico. 2 different styles. I am guessing my tractor likes the Chinese one better...

So does anyone else have to do the same thing with your filters?
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Something to look out for in the future. I just did my 200 hr service using JD's filter pack, which only comes with a new outer filter. Installed without issues. The inner for filter didn't have any dirt on it, so I didn't give it any thought about replacing it. Was your inner filter dirty?
    Levi, BigJim55 and wentonbrown like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post

I did notice my old inner filter was made in China and the new inner filter is from Mexico. 2 different styles. I am guessing my tractor likes the Chinese one better...

So does anyone else have to do the same thing with your filters?
    Not yet. I've got my 1000 hour service coming up but don't think the air filters, at least the inner one, will have to be changed. They must have just changed over to the new style in the past year. Having them made in Mexico must be our President's way of making Mexico pay for the wall and sticking it to China.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

wentonbrown (04-14-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Not yet. I've got my 1000 hour service coming up but don't think the air filters, at least the inner one, will have to be changed. They must have just changed over to the new style in the past year. Having them made in Mexico must be our President's way of making Mexico pay for the wall and sticking it to China.

Now that is funny! Thanks for the laugh Levi! Made my morning!
    Gizmo2, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Thanks for the info. Something to look out for in the future. I just did my 200 hr service using JD's filter pack, which only comes with a new outer filter. Installed without issues. The inner for filter didn't have any dirt on it, so I didn't give it any thought about replacing it. Was your inner filter dirty?
    Yes it was. I was working in a lot of dust and it got dirty. Usually they dont. I'm gonna take a pic of them when we get back today, or tomorrow morning.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Seems odd that your are changing your inner filter - how many hours on the machine?

The only way the inner filter will get dirty is if the outer one is leaking by being deformed or damaged - unless you are approaching 1000 hours or more.
    Gizmo2, rydplrs, Levi and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (04-14-2018)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    I echo Stan's (Coaltrain) conclusions. Also, oil is a not good idea as it is a magnet for dust. It will cling to the oil rather than being discharged from the dust boot.

You really don't want to be opening up the air cleaner, unless you have to. There is always the possibility of dust/dirt being dislodged and falling into the throttle body.

The 1025R air cleaner has a pipe plug in the port for the air restriction indicator. I'd suggest you add it and utilize that as the indication of when to change the outer filter. As with everything Deere, the JD price for this item is rather nuts. It is manufactured by Donaldson and there is at least one GTT thread I know of that has links where to purchase what you need at an affordable price:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ator-port.html
    Levi, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

TheOtherChris (04-14-2018)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I echo Stan's (Coaltrain) conclusions. Also, oil is a not good idea as it is a magnet for dust. It will cling to the oil rather than being discharged from the dust boot.

You really don't want to be opening up the air cleaner, unless you have to. There is always the possibility of dust/dirt being dislodged and falling into the throttle body.

The 1025R air cleaner has a pipe plug in the port for the air restriction indicator. I'd suggest you add it and utilize that as the indication of when to change the outer filter. As with everything Deere, the JD price for this item is rather nuts. It is manufactured by Donaldson and there is at least one GTT thread I know of that has links where to purchase what you need at an affordable price:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ator-port.html
    All these tractors - or anything with these canister type air filters - should have an air restriction indicator standard.

As you said - you shouldn't open the canister unless you need to. Each time you open it you are risking getting dirt in there. And each time you remove the filter to "look" at it you are taking the chance of damaging the seal.

And don't get me started about banging the air filter to clean it.......

~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (04-15-2018)

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    I never ask the fox, if the chickens are ok in the hen house. If you do clean an air filter you can use a vacuum to suck loose dirt away in the chamber don't use forced air. A new air filter is not as efficient, filtering dirt as a used filter is. Not saying to run with a plugged filter either. Back in the day before the air filter marketing craze took over. They taught us in JD tech classes to clean air filters and reuse them until they were too dirty for service.

Now days selling a new filter is the preferred service method. I have said before. It's all about the money now days!!!

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseIH574 View Post
    I never ask the fox, if the chickens are ok in the hen house. If you do clean an air filter you can use a vacuum to suck loose dirt away in the chamber don't use forced air. A new air filter is not as efficient, filtering dirt as a used filter is. Not saying to run with a plugged filter either. Back in the day before the air filter marketing craze took over. They taught us in JD tech classes to clean air filters and reuse them until they were too dirty for service.

Now days selling a new filter is the preferred service method. I have said before. It's all about the money now days!!!
    Thank you, I now feel vindicated with my own air filter service routine.
    Levi, BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast