Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I replaced my fuel filter and

1. Top | #1
    JKR
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Question I replaced my fuel filter and

This may sound dumb, but I replace my fuel filter on my 1025R.
    The tractor was always started easy and ran well.

When I replace the fuel filter I turn the key and let the fuel fill up the filter and the glow plug went out. The tractor started and stalled. Then I restarted it and it ran just like it always did, fine.

Now hear the problem. Every time I start the tractor it starts and stalls and runs well on the second start.
    I can't see were I or what I did wrong on replacing the fuel filter. I only use John Deere parts.

The tractor is one year old and 100 hours. It was just a maintained I do on all my vehicles every year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    I'm glad you asked this question as I'm about to change the filters on my 1026R as well. According to the owners manual, you followed the correct procedure post filter change by priming the fuel system. The fuel system is supposed to be self bleeding, but I believe I've heard this is not always the case? Let's see what the experienced folks have to say. My guess is you still have air in the fuel lines somewhere. On older machines you would have to crack a fuel line to bleed out the air so perhaps that may need to take place, but let's see what others that have done this have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts

I replaced my fuel filter and

Bleeding the injectors shouldn't be needed if the engine has run. I suspect you have an air leak on your filter which allows a bit of air in the system when it's shuts down for a period of time. Recheck your filter for good connections. If it was your separator, make sure it's seated correctly and is tight.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Bleeding the injectors shouldn't be needed if the engine has run. I suspect you have an air leak on your filter which allows a bit of air in the system when it's shuts down for a period of time. Recheck your filter for good connections. If it was your separator, make sure it's seated correctly and is tight.
    ^^^^ this!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Mine did that but when I started it the second time I opened it to WOT and let it run that way for 10 seconds or so and idled down, shut it off and re-started. Everything was fine, never happened after that. Now I never started it a 3rd time to see if it would stall before doing what I did so I can't say that this will solve anything. It's just what I did. It might not have stalled on the 3rd try, I don't know.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Two dumb thoughts. Does the fuel filter/ water separator had a fuel shut off on it that was not turned on? Did you do the filter under the floor board and if so did you put the new in the correct way?

Green Man likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I would think if there was an air leak , when he turns on the key and the fuel pump comes on he would see a fuel leak some place before starting the engine, because you are pressurizing the system.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Nice thing about Diesel is that you can very easily smell a fuel leak if for some reason it's difficult to see visually. Maybe start sniffing around?

John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red badger View Post
    I would think if there was an air leak , when he turns on the key and the fuel pump comes on he would see a fuel leak some place before starting the engine, because you are pressurizing the system.
    Even though that's what common sense would tell you, it's not always the case. I've seen/had this happen on several vehicles, boats, and tractors. I have an older 12 valve Cummins B5.9 that is kinda known for doing just this. Under a vacuum or lack of pressure, a crack in a rubber fuel line opens up, lets air in and fuel runs back to the tank. Under pressure the fuel lines are fine. Makes it difficult to start, but it runs fine once started. No fuel leaks. Many of the bigger ag tractors also suffer from the same problems. Old rubber fuel lines can do this. So can an improperly seated filter or gasket. It may act just like a check valve.
    Green Man likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

12. Top | #10
    JKR
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I will run the tractor longer and at a higher RPM to see what happens.
    When I went to the JD dealer and ask for the fuel filter. They gave me one. The one that go's in the clear glass looking tube with a spring and red rubber O ring at the bottom of the glass.
    There are no leaks, no smell, and runs well after the second start. I can't restart the tractor until Friday night or Sunday. I will let you know what happens.

I did turn off the fuel petcock when I replace the filter and turn it back on when I was done. I did wait until the fuel glass was full before starting.

I think running the engine at a higher RPM will do the trick.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast