Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Bleeding fuel system after replacing fuel filter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-17-2018 @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks

Bleeding fuel system after replacing fuel filter

First post here. I've read and searched forever on this problem and I can't figure it out. I've watched every video I can find and nothing seems to address what I've got going on.

I've had my 1025r for 3 1/2 years (180 hours). I was doing my spring service and replaced the fuel filter in the sediment bowl. It was running perfectly before and now it won't start. I had filled the bowl before putting it back on. Ran for a few seconds and died.

From other posts, my fuel pump does not click or make noise. Never has. My system doesn't seem to self prime. I called my local dealer where I bought it. Their suggestion was to just keep cranking and they confimed I'd not hear the fuel pump clicking.

I cracked open the steel lines at the injectors and can see small bubbles coming out. But I've been trying for hours and hours. I've had to charge my battery several times (cranked till battery was dead 3 or 4 times just today)

Other things that have been suggested that I've tried or checked:
    Fuel is on.
    Filter seems correct and not leaking.
    Tank is 3/4 full.
    I've tried starting fluid and it won't take off.
    When its cranking and not using and starting fluid, it does nothing but crank. Doesn't even try and fire.

I'm so frustrated at this. Something that is this routine and common should not be this difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I'm at a loss and about ready to trailer back to the dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like your fuel transfer pump is not working. If you are turning the key to the on position and are not hearing a clicking noise you are nut pumping fuel to the high pressure pump. These engines self prime with the fuel transfer pump. Make sure your fuel shut off valve is opened. You might also try and fill the fuel tank to the top of the tank. This might give you some gravity feed to the fuel system.

Do you see fuel in the fuel filter water separator? You shouldn't need to crank it over for more than a minute or so. Do not use ether on these engines with glow plugs. Bottom line is, you are not getting fuel to the engine.
    Levi, Ray_PA, keane and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-17-2018 @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    Not getting fuel makes sense and I've considered that. But here's my question. If my transfer fuel pump has died, would the tractor run normally without it? It was running fine until I changed the filter and can't believe that it just died at the exact same time as changing the filter.

Could it be weak? Is that pump going out common at 180 hours?

Thanx for the help

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash0311 View Post

I cracked open the steel lines at the injectors and can see small bubbles coming out.
    be very careful cracking the steel line if its a high pressure common rail system the pressure could cause serious injury i don't have much experience with yanmar engines but have experience with Cummins and it sounds like the transfer pump went out as these systems are self priming i believe these systems work very similar except for the electronics and pressures but i attached the documents to explain how the Cummins system works since i think they are similar i also found a link on how to bleed a john deere engine http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cek2H5ZgUqZQ9e
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bmichael; 04-15-2018 at 01:29 AM.
    Levi likes this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    So, how's the in-line filter under the L. floorboard? Might have picked up enough gunk from the tank to plug when the repriming business was going on. This filter should be changed way more often than most do it...
    chex313, Levi, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    So, how's the in-line filter under the L. floorboard? Might have picked up enough gunk from the tank to plug when the repriming business was going on. This filter should be changed way more often than most do it...
    What HH said. There is another filter under tank in case you didn't know. Didn't see you mention it in your post.
    Levi and Ray_PA like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    To answer your question, no the engine won't run if the pump died. That's why it's there. It's a noisy little thing and you should hear it clicking when the key is on but the engine off. You mentioned that your pump has never made noise/clicking. You should be able to feel it then if it's working, at least some.

When I changed my filter at the engine, I forgot to turn the fuel shutoff back on. When I turned the key on to prime the bowl, the pump didn't work. When I turned the shutoff back on the pump worked and primed the bowl. I didn't look hard, but there must be an electrical connection somewhere that disconnects the electrical circuit to the pump when the shutoff is closed. I looked at the parts catalog for my year tractor and found a electrical connector on the wiring harness called fuel shutoff solenoid connector (if I recall correctly). That makes sense in my case.

So...
    Make sure your shutoff is completely on. Might try closing and opening a couple times. Try the ignition (key on, engine off) see if the pump "clicks". If not, disconnect the electrical connector from the pump and use a volt meter set to DC, to see if you are getting 12 volts when you turn the key on to run position. That'll tell you if it's the pump or if it's even getting power.

If you're satisfied the pump is working, change the under floorboard filter. It's most likely not letting enough fuel through to get to the pump. They are only about $5.

Let us know.

P.S. As Case said, DO NOT use starting fluid. You're asking for more trouble.
    Last edited by kylew; 04-15-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    fdmars, HydroHarold, Levi and 2 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks

Been almost there

We ran the fuel out of an IH 784 and absolutely drove ourselves nuts with similar issues. In our case, it turned out that debris had plugged the line coming out of the tank.

I doubt you have that issue but I would start at the tank and crack couplings to see if you have fuel flow. If you do, then move to the next spot coupling in the line. The post about the fuel shut off solenoid sounds likely but if you trace it systematically, you will know for sure where the issue is.

Cracking low pressure or no pressure lines is just messy. Cracking high pressure lines can be dangerous. Lay a cloth over the line to slow down the high pressure fuel. If you want to watch, make sure you have eye protection and protection for exposed skin. Diesel injected under the skin isn't good for your complexion or health.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    We ran the fuel out of an IH 784 and absolutely drove ourselves nuts with similar issues. In our case, it turned out that debris had plugged the line coming out of the tank.

I doubt you have that issue but I would start at the tank and crack couplings to see if you have fuel flow. If you do, then move to the next spot coupling in the line. The post about the fuel shut off solenoid sounds likely but if you trace it systematically, you will know for sure where the issue is.

Cracking low pressure or no pressure lines is just messy. Cracking high pressure lines can be dangerous. Lay a cloth over the line to slow down the high pressure fuel. If you want to watch, make sure you have eye protection and protection for exposed skin. Diesel injected under the skin isn't good for your complexion or health.

Treefarmer
    Hmmm, that must be common with the 784's. We had a similar issue and found a small fir branch inside the fuel line. There was also debris stuck in the elbow for the fuel filter housing. Once cleared out and put back together it still wouldn't start because it's gravity feed to the pump. I ended up putting a little air pressure in the tank, then cracked the lines open until fuel came out. I kept doing that until I had fuel at the pump and it started right up.
    HydroHarold, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseIH574 View Post
    You might also try and fill the fuel tank to the top of the tank. This might give you some gravity feed to the fuel system
    This is what I was going to suggest trying. It worked for me one time. I changed the fuel filter and sediment bowl on a 1025r and it would start, but stall out or start and run super rough without smoothing out. I turned off and filled the tank full. Turned it back on and ran rough for a couple seconds and then smoothed right out. Worth trying at least.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast