new noise in pto

Thread: new noise in pto

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-02-2016 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks

new noise in pto

was out sucking up leaves today and down on the creek road with the 1025r and thought i hit something.Backed up, nothing there. Thought maybe scalped a high point.Maybe a little. Any way later i noticed that the deck was making a rattling noise at low rpm. whoa! Ok call it a day.I'm about out of light and want to look at this.
    I checked under the deck, nothing, blades are ok, on tight, WTH!! ok, I m dropping the deck. Drop the deck and engage PTO. OH no there it is ,again WTH. Grab drive shaft, has about 1/4"-3/8" that i can turn it /freeplay. Is this normal? i've used the mower very little as i have a smaller GT and my wife mows with that most of the time.
    Any way no doubt its a new sound and I'm not liking it. rear and mid pto do it. Tractor has 58hrs .any ideas? Goes away over 2k RPM
    May have to haul it up to the dealer as it is about about nine months old. busy time of year here and don't want to be with out it. tractor itself sems fine. Do these get noisy with use ?? Any insight appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    It is normal for the mid-PTO shaft to have (what you would think) a lot of freeplay. It's built in to the gear train of the PTO. With everything disconnected it's making the noise, in all PTO selections? (Front, both, and rear?)
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    yep,all 3 selections. Just seems new to me.I never noticed the noise before and it is a new sound.I never grabbed the drive shaft and turned it before so i have no reference for that. like i said i've only mowed an hour or 3 with it before fall cleanup and it was quiet. Now the mower deck gets run a couple hours every weekend till the leaves are done.New noises are genrally something needs checked out so it has me wondering.
    The driveshaft play does not concern me as much as the low rpm noise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Noises can be incredibly hard, if not impossible to troubleshoot in written form such as this forum. I wish I could provide more assistance, but without a video or sound clip, this could be a very difficult process. Is your tractor still under warranty? It should be since it's a 1025R, they haven't been out long enough for the powertrain warranty to expire. You may need to contact your dealer tomorrow to get this resolved.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    yes, i know > thanks for the reply.Thought about a short video clip of it but didn't have time for that today. figure i'll check with the dealer while its under warranty. I understand there is no way to ID a sound that you can't hear. Just makes me feel better knowing you guys are out there and have similar issues with similar tractors and experience that you all are willing to share. This will be my first real issue with this tractor.Guess I'm about to find out what kind of dealer i have.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antishovel View Post
    yes, i know > thanks for the reply.Thought about a short video clip of it but didn't have time for that today. figure i'll check with the dealer while its under warranty. I understand there is no way to ID a sound that you can't hear. Just makes me feel better knowing you guys are out there and have similar issues with similar tractors and experience that you all are willing to share. This will be my first real issue with this tractor.Guess I'm about to find out what kind of dealer i have.
    My the Force be with you, young JeDi.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements