Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Problem Installing PTO and 47" snow blower on 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-22-2014 @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks

Problem Installing PTO and 47" snow blower on 1025r

Last year, I had the dealer install a 47" quick hitch snow blower on my new 1025r. In the spring, I took off the blower with the quick hitch attached, took off the PTO and the front mounting bracket that holds it. Kept everything together. Yesterday, I reassembled it. When I tried to connect the PTO (rear, not mid) to the snow blower driveshaft it was about 1 1/2" too short. Help! 12-16" of snow expected today and tonight. What did I do wrong? Have been searching online for good pictures of how the assembly should look in case I'm putting something on upside down or backwards, but haven't found any. Everything looks logical. Disassembled and reassembled three times and nothing changed, still 1 1/2" too short . Then I thought about what Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Last edited by MaryH; 11-10-2014 at 12:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Most likely nothing has changed. Make sure the drive shaft has not collapsed. It is suppose to move in and out. At least that is the only thing I can thinkl of if you have not done anything to it.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    The pto shaft that connects to the snow blower telescopes. Is that shaft stuck & not telescoping?
    That is the only part that could change length.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisR For This Useful Post:

MaryH (11-10-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    The 1025 front PTO driveshaft doesn't have a slip joint in the shaft. When installing the front PTO, the front the shaft (hex part) slides front in the two bearings mounted in the front mount. When installing the PTO driveshaft at the rear, the shaft coupling at the rear needs to be aligned with the splines and slide back onto the splines. This may take twisting the driveshaft a little to get it to align on the splines. Essentially what is happening when you install the driveshaft, is you are actually sliding the shaft out of the front bearings (hex end) a little bit to enable sliding it onto the splines at the drive end. The front mount (hex end) then becomes the driveshaft slip joint since the shaft is no longer bottom out. The shaft can move freely within the hex bearings to keep the driveshaft from binding.
    Levi and MaryH like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

MaryH (11-10-2014)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I can't help you as I don't have a snow blower BUT, Hope someone can figure this out.
    MaryH likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

MaryH (11-10-2014)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    12-22-2014 @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    The 1025 front PTO driveshaft doesn't have a slip joint in the shaft. When installing the front PTO, the front the shaft (hex part) slides front in the two bearings mounted in the front mount. When installing the PTO driveshaft at the rear, the shaft coupling at the rear needs to be aligned with the splines and slide back onto the splines. This may take twisting the driveshaft a little to get it to align on the splines. Essentially what is happening when you install the driveshaft, is you are actually sliding the shaft out of the front bearings (hex end) a little bit to enable sliding it onto the splines at the drive end. The front mount (hex end) then becomes the driveshaft slip joint since the shaft is no longer bottom out. The shaft can move freely within the hex bearings to keep the driveshaft from binding.
    Yes, the front slides back a little, I connect it to the back drive and then with the angle it's at, it doesn't go forward to gain that extra inch or so I need to hook up the blower. Maybe it's as simple as more grease on that hex end.
    etcallhome likes this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks

Pics might help those in the know.....Mine is a mid PTO mount, so sorry cannot help.....
    MaryH likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Yes, the front slides back a little, I connect it to the back drive and then with the angle it's at, it doesn't go forward to gain that extra inch or so I need to hook up the blower. Maybe it's as simple as more grease on that hex end.
    I think I understand what your are saying. Is this is? When the rear of the PTO shaft is connected to the front PTO diff. output splines, the shaft has slid back out of the front mount (hex end) so far that there isn't enough of the shaft exposed on the blower side of the shart to connect the short driveshaft from the blower too. Whew. I surely don't know what would cause that unless the front mount isn't actually attached properly to the tractor but I don't know how you would get it attached correctly.
    Pictures will maybe help.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Last year, I had the dealer install a 47" quick hitch snow blower on my new 1025r. In the spring, I took off the blower with the quick hitch attached, took off the PTO and the front mounting bracket that holds it. Kept everything together. Yesterday, I reassembled it. When I tried to connect the PTO (rear, not mid) to the snow blower driveshaft it was about 1 1/2" too short. Help! 12-16" of snow expected today and tonight. What did I do wrong? Have been searching online for good pictures of how the assembly should look in case I'm putting something on upside down or backwards, but haven't found any. Everything looks logical. Disassembled and reassembled three times and nothing changed, still 1 1/2" too short . Then I thought about what Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    I just installed my blower for the first time today. If the pto shaft is connected to the mm pto, and there is not enough sticking thru the front bearing to attach the blower, there has to be something wrong with the way the front hitch is installed. Is the steel rod attached on the front mount holding it in place? Is it there?

That is the only possibility that I can think of.

Phil d

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil D For This Useful Post:

MaryH (11-10-2014)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
    Thanks
    Here are some pictures of what it should look like. About 2 1/2 inches of spline protrude from the front of the quick hitch. Once the snow blower shaft is correctly connected, about 1 1/2 inches of spline show on the front of the snow blower drive shaft. I included several pictures of the how the quick hitch is connected to the tractor. I'm wondering if you just don't have the splines lined up, so it seems that the drive shaft is too short. It can be a little difficult to line it up, slide back the locking collar, and slide it on at the same time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	35104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	35105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	35106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	35107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	35108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0102.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	35109
    Levi likes this.
    1025R, H120 loader, 54 inch JD Snow Blower, 54 inch JD snow plow, Heavy Hitch rear weight bar/hitch, Heavy Hitch front weight bar, iMatch, Ken's Hooks, Original Tractor Cab, DR 3-pt trimmer, Titan pallet forks, Exmark Lazer-Z w/RED

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast