Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Coolant or Engine Block Heater?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks

Coolant or Engine Block Heater?

Which would you rather buy? Does anyone run both? Coolant vs Engine block heaters? Does anyone make a hydraulic line heater?

It is on a 1025r.
    PAST: 13' X738, 87' 318, 72' 140 (wish I still had all of them)
    PRESENT: 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, 47" QH blower, Case 52" tiller, FIMCO Sprayer, Ballast Box, Subsoiler, springs & hooks
    FUTURE: Forks, Cab, Quick Hitch Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    I went with an engine block heater, have yet to use it as it was installed 2 months ago....had tractor 5 years here in CT and never had a issue with starting. have kept in unheated shed, and when needed w/ winter at its coldest, put a blanket over it and small heater under it pre start. think block heater is safer way to go. Having said all that, I don't have to deal w/ the temps you do.....I did use a thread on this forum as a guide to install, was easy to follow and very well written. If you go that route I will attempt to find it again. Good luck w/ your decision.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    I had a block heater installed on my 1025r before delivery in 2013.
    I had one on my 2305 before that.
    Tractors start easier, cab heater works faster, I usually plug it in at least 1/2 hour before starting.
    rtgt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Engine block heater is far the best way to go, you should not need the coolant heater with the block heater, I assume you mean radiator hose heater when you say coolant, as they both heat the coolant system only the block heater heats it in the engine block which will transfer the heat to the oil also if plugged in long enough. We have used block heaters on the tractors and skid loaders on the farm since the mid 60's. As far as hyd. System heater we have never used this guess not sure if available. There is a excellent thread on Instalation of a block heater for the 1025R with pics.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    I have had my 1025R for little under a month now. The dealer automatically put on the quote to install the engine block heater - AR87167 with needed adapter AM134805. I am also in MN, so I thought this would be nice to have right away for winter. I have been plugging it in about an hour before I plan to use it and it seems the tractor starts much happier- little smoke, smooth idle, etc.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    I think both the coolant and block heaters will work just fine. They'll both heat the block up which, in turn should warm both the coolant and oil. You get to the same end either way.

I prefer to use a magnetic block heater just because I'm not adding anything to the engine. No additional places for leaks and less chance of me doing something stupid that might kill my machine. (Not that I've ever done anything stupid before... much. )
    MDrew and Oberhaz like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I think both the coolant and block heaters will work just fine. They'll both heat the block up which, in turn should warm both the coolant and oil. You get to the same end either way.

I prefer to use a magnetic block heater just because I'm not adding anything to the engine. No additional places for leaks and less chance of me doing something stupid that might kill my machine. (Not that I've ever done anything stupid before... much. )

Thanks to everyone. Jim, do you have a link to the one that you use? Right now the JD sits in the attached garage with heated floors (50 deg) but it may be moving to a utility shed soon. I do like the idea of a magnetic one, if the tractor doesn't get moved to the utility shed, it will need to do overnights in unheated garages off site.
    PAST: 13' X738, 87' 318, 72' 140 (wish I still had all of them)
    PRESENT: 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, 47" QH blower, Case 52" tiller, FIMCO Sprayer, Ballast Box, Subsoiler, springs & hooks
    FUTURE: Forks, Cab, Quick Hitch Blade

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Years ago I had a magnetic heater which worked good, was handy to put on any oil pan of something sitting out in sub zero weather. Didn't heat the coolant but really helped get the oil flowing quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oberhaz likes this.
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    I picked up a Kat's 1160 300-watt unit. Same company make a couple of other sizes as well.
    Oberhaz and Tractor Tim like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks

Brrrtend to add some video rr

I bought the block heater early this spring, despite not experiencing much of a problem starting at -15 degrees last year. I just wanted to be "nicer" to her this year. I intend to add some video of the installation process in the next month or so.
    Last edited by Myasis Dragon; 11-13-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: A mis-click added text to the title, which I didn't notice, and, apparently can't edit.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast