Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cleaning up 60" mower deck for winter stowage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Cleaning up 60" mower deck for winter stowage

I just power washed my 60" mower for the 1023E. Prior to that I removed the drive over ramps to obtain access to the bearing castings, They were FULL of leaves and grass. The black plastic covers inhibits good cleaning out of this area. For cleaning a paint brush with Lysol works wonders with power washer. As a preclude to rust all the hardware is now stainless steel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks
    I just cleaned my deck up today after vacuuming the yard for the last time this year. I quit using water several years ago to clean my decks.
    There are too many places for water to pocket & cause corrosion. I stand the deck up on edge & lean it against something.
    I then use a long blow gun to blow the grass & other debris from under the plastic covers & around the spindles.
    I scrape the bottom of the deck & wipe the top down with a damp rag.
    Levi likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I just cleaned my deck up today after vacuuming the yard for the last time this year. I quit using water several years ago to clean my decks.
    There are too many places for water to pocket & cause corrosion. I stand the deck up on edge & lean it against something.
    I then use a long blow gun to blow the grass & other debris from under the plastic covers & around the spindles.
    I scrape the bottom of the deck & wipe the top down with a damp rag.
    I've done both ways over the years. This year I pressured washed the deck and a few places still had to scrape. Then after setting up for several hours I greased the fittings . Either the same day or the next day I painted the underside of deck. For years then I would put a coat of the graphite base from TSC. This year my fil told me he has been using Duplicolor bed coating on his deck for the last couple of years . He told me his deck looks the best it has for years and he had been using the graphite for 5-10 years.
    Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating, Black, 16.5 oz. Aerosol
    Last edited by etcallhome; 11-16-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    636mullet and Levi like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Hummm.... Just wondering if I'm the only guy that detensions his deck belt springs at the end of the season...? I unhook it from the deck end and hold it untensioned with a piece of wire from the spring to the hook... Crazy? But it only takes a couple seconds.
    Valley Boy likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I've done both ways over the years. This year I pressured washed the deck and a few places still had to scrape. Then after setting up for several hours I greased the fittings .
    I use the air from my backpack blower to clean my entire tractor everytime I put the tractor away after using it, even if I haven't used the deck. It's amazing how much leaf and grass debris ends up on top of the deck or other places even under the hood.

I grease all of the fittings BEFORE I powerwash the tractor, and then after power washing, I run the PTO, etc. and make sure the water is out and used compressed air if necessary. Once "dry", I give each zirk another squirt of grease simply to push any moisture out, especially in the older style front axle spindles on the 455 series as well as the front PTO shaft and MMM driveshaft from the mid PTO.

Probably a little overkill, but I feel by having the new grease in the item before powerwashing, it prevents some of the water from being able to easily get in. By pushing new grease in after washing and using compressed air, hopefully I have pushed any moisture out.

Seems to have worked so far. 2,800 hrs and counting.
    etcallhome and ColonyPark like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Hummm.... Just wondering if I'm the only guy that detensions his deck belt springs at the end of the season...? I unhook it from the deck end and hold it untensioned with a piece of wire from the spring to the hook... Crazy? But it only takes a couple seconds.
    I just use a rubber bungee cord to release the spring tensioner from the belt just to take the pressure off of the belt. I wrap it around the front mounting bracket on the deck and pull the tension off the spring arm. It's also an opportunity to get any debris out from under the covers as well as greasing the tensioner bushings.

On the other end of the spectrum, on Saturday, I saw a zero turn with a Kawasaki engine which had been run 550 hrs without ever changing the oil. It melted the dipstick completely off from the thread on cap. And of course, the owner was upset that this catastrophic engine failure "wasn't to be covered by the warranty".....
    HydroHarold and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    After cleaning the deck and sharpening the blades, I use kerosene or diesel fuel on the bottom of the deck and the blades. I soak a rag and wipe them both down. It works well.

As for the plastic covers.... I took them off and have now problem blowing the grass and leaves out with air.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    No your not. I do the same thing. I unhooked the spring from the front bracket as well. I have the mower stored on furniture dollies under the back of my trailer. Bracket and springs sitting on top. Blades as well. Then I remember to sharpen them come spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HydroHarold likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I just use a rubber bungee cord to release the spring tensioner from the belt just to take the pressure off of the belt. I wrap it around the front mounting bracket on the deck and pull the tension off the spring arm. It's also an opportunity to get any debris out from under the covers as well as greasing the tensioner bushings.

On the other end of the spectrum, on Saturday, I saw a zero turn with a Kawasaki engine which had been run 550 hrs without ever changing the oil. It melted the dipstick completely off from the thread on cap. And of course, the owner was upset that this catastrophic engine failure "wasn't to be covered by the warranty".....
    That is a shame , that it wasn't covered under warranty ! My gosh should have been able t go at least 600 hr
    HydroHarold and Levi like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    While the mower was all clean I decided to do some rust prevention. The pulleys, idler assembly, front gear box mount, are yellow zinc chromate plated finish. All prone to rust if you use the equipment with regular use. So I got some JD green paint and gave them 4 coats right over the zinc plating. I also cleaned off the gear box and removed the rust on the bare surfaces and shot it JD green too. All the bolts and nuts were starting to rust, so replaced them with stainless hardware.

For a high quality piece of equipment the rust was more than expected for 2 1/2 years old.

I have the same intentions for the snow blower too. I started off by recoating the 2nd stage housing area and the chute. Too many chips for rusting as I have a paved driveway, no stones.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast