What to use on new blade to keep snow from sticking?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What to use on new blade to keep snow from sticking?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-27-2016 @ 09:50 AM
    Thanks

What to use on new blade to keep snow from sticking?

I have a new 54" blade coming, and want to know what you guys use to keep snow from sticking? I used Mo Deck on my new deck this year, and it worked great! Can I spray that on my new blade, or use something else? I would like to have something that would last all winter without reapplying. Thanks!
    2014 John Deere 1025r
    John Deere H120 Loader
    60D drive over deck with hydraulic lift
    Femco 40 gallon 3ph Sprayer
    John Deere Ballast Box
    John Deere 54" Plow with Quick Hitch
    Craftsman Plug Aerator
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks
    psrumors Custom Seat Springs
    OC Gizmo 2150 lumen LED Lights

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 TRD with level lift and aftermarket wheels/tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I always used the blade at full angle combined with SPEED with the old lawntractor

First season with the 54" blade on a 1025R for me.....looking forward to it.

It's a painted surface, so wouldn't car wax work?
    DRobinson and Levi like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-27-2016 @ 09:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    I always used the blade at full angle combined with SPEED with the old lawntractor

First season with the 54" blade on a 1025R for me.....looking forward to it.

It's a painted surface, so wouldn't car wax work?

Yes, but it won't last all season.
    2014 John Deere 1025r
    John Deere H120 Loader
    60D drive over deck with hydraulic lift
    Femco 40 gallon 3ph Sprayer
    John Deere Ballast Box
    John Deere 54" Plow with Quick Hitch
    Craftsman Plug Aerator
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks
    psrumors Custom Seat Springs
    OC Gizmo 2150 lumen LED Lights

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4 TRD with level lift and aftermarket wheels/tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Never had a snow sticking problem.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks
    Just spray PAM cooking oil on the blade every time you plow. Now problem with snow sticking.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Just spray PAM cooking oil on the blade every time you plow. Now problem with snow sticking.
    Same thing for wet snow when using the blower. use Pam . If it is a powder or air temp very cold snow won't stick to blade or in blower shoot.

Or like someone else us some car wax , either way nothing will last the complete winter season.
    FIL was saying he used Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating, Black, 16.5 oz. Aerosol on the underside of his mower deck ,,,not the none with a grid or texture might work on blades or snowblower shoot.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    IF you store your plow INSIDE a heated space, roll it outside and let it cool down to the ambient air temperature completely BEFORE you even think of plowing snow (blowers especially). Then apply your favorite "stuff": Car wax, floor wax (wax when warm if possible),WD-40, CRC, Pam, Crisco, teflon spray, silicone spray, Preparation H, baby powder, etc... There is nothing that works for every plow in every snow condition every time (snow moisture content dependant) all season or even one entire snow event sometimes.

I'm a habitual re-applier of WD-40 out of a re-use rug spot remover (multiple cats) pump sprayer. Not only the blade, but the swivel pin and trip hinge as well. I'm so excited when I'm getting ready to plow I just plain go crazy with the stuff!
    Gizmo2, Duke Snyder, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    I use just old car wax on my snow blower and it works great. I wax it at the end of each season so it is ready to go.
    As for mower decks and blades, use kerosene or diesel fuel on them. Re-apply each time you sharpen your blades and at the end of the season.

Dennis
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    IF you store your plow INSIDE a heated space, roll it outside and let it cool down to the ambient air temperature completely BEFORE you even think of plowing snow (blowers especially). Then apply your favorite "stuff": Car wax, floor wax (wax when warm if possible),WD-40, CRC, Pam, Crisco, teflon spray, silicone spray, Preparation H, baby powder, etc... There is nothing that works for every plow in every snow condition every time (snow moisture content dependant) all season or even one entire snow event sometimes.

I'm a habitual re-applier of WD-40 out of a re-use rug spot remover (multiple cats) pump sprayer. Not only the blade, but the swivel pin and trip hinge as well. I'm so excited when I'm getting ready to plow I just plain go crazy with the stuff!
    ^^ this.. I use wd40 on everything as well.. I even use it on the underside of my quad when I go mudding to make clean up easier.. Just hit it with the hose when I get home and sticky mud pretty much falls right off..
    Levi and 316 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-16-2015 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Another thought. I've used cheap tire shine under my atv and it Mage it so easy to clean off. I'm going to try that on my blade as well bet it works great!

-----Kev

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast