Can we compare JD TY15958 chain install on R4 Tires.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can we compare JD TY15958 chain install on R4 Tires.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

With the deep lugs, chains can't slide, made for a difficult install. I hope I have them tight enough. I'm concerned with them catching on the pin for 3pt side sway adjuster, if too loose.

I ended up using total length of inside adjustment chain. That is, I placed the hook in the longest length. The last link possible.

Then outside adjuster, with 4 possible links, I have 3 hanging loose, so it's the shortest possible length.

So I'm wondering from others what adjustments you ended up with. Did you use any kind of tool to draw them tight. I found a old. Ratchet Strap that had a cut strap. I cut the strap shorter, pounded a bit of the hooks flat. It worked very good to pull the ends together. Maybe help someone! Have a super day ! Dan
    John Deere 1023 E, 60d mower, H120 loader,
    Frontier 2060L Back Blade, Heavy Hitch with 320 lb weights,
    Artillian forks with Adaptor for JD Snow Plow. JD 54 inch blade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    Yep! PIA! I take my loose chain and wire tie them close so not to fly loose. I had one of my inside links come loose and catch on the bolt of the frame of the BH, going down hill. The tire locked up and made for an interesting ride sideways until it hit asphalt. I think I suck the whole seat up my @ss from the pucker factor. But survived and made mental note to not use zip ties again.
    Myasis Dragon likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

Danbeck (11-22-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

I'm glad you weren't hurt except for your pride and of course the pucker factor , ouch ! What are you doing with loose links now?
    Last edited by Danbeck; 11-20-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add question

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    If you can, a photo would assist is seeing how you have them installed. Installing the chains each winter is not something I look forward to. It seems I try a different technique each season.

I recommend safety wiring the latches and any loose ends you have flying around. If they come loose and catch on the fender, a hydraulic line or some other component it could be bad news.

Once you get your chains mounted "just right" I recommend trimming off any loose links. It makes reinstalling them next season a lot easier.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

Agree on trimming extra links

I agree on trimming any extra lengths, unless the tires are old and new ones would likely be bigger. You can always buy repair links and add them back if you have to.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you can, a photo would assist is seeing how you have them installed. Installing the chains each winter is not something I look forward to. It seems I try a different technique each season.

I recommend safety wiring the latches and any loose ends you have flying around. If they come loose and catch on the fender, a hydraulic line or some other component it could be bad news.

Once you get your chains mounted "just right" I recommend trimming off any loose links. It makes reinstalling them next season a lot easier.
    I use hooks similar to the hooks from the factory rather than wiring. has that break in the past too. Cut a link and tighten one end around the last link, then stretch it tight at you can and hook on the last link you can. I have chain tighteners on mine, both front and rear. Made the fronts from a set I had just bought for the old tractor I sold. Work great, but you need to put a block on the turn stop, so the chains do not catch the hydraulic line on the cylinder. Just do not use 4x4 unless you really need it. Makes steering much better.

PS My chains are not the ones being discussed here.... Sorry.
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 11-20-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John Deere 1025R TLB For This Useful Post:

Danbeck (11-22-2014)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know how everybody else is doing it, but with my GX/turf tires I used to install them wheels on. I've found it far better with the R4's to remove the wheel, roll it onto a properly spread out chain and do the hookup that way. The tire can be flipped around or rolled around to work the slack out to get all the crosslinks down into the lug spaces and the side chains tight...

(Which reminds me I have to order the 2 cross links for my chains to fill in the open space at the connection...)
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HydroHarold For This Useful Post:

Danbeck (11-22-2014)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    I've found it far better with the R4's to remove the wheel, roll it onto a properly spread out chain and do the hookup that way. The tire can be flipped around or rolled around to work the slack out to get all the crosslinks down into the lug spaces and the side chains tight...
    Are your tires loaded? My loaded 2720 tires are close to 400 lbs. once I add the heavy chains. My method is to lay the chains out behind the tractor, tire side down, jack up one tire, lift the chain end closest the tractor and lay it on the tire, getting it caught in the lugs, rotate the tire by hand until the end of the chain hits the floor, then pull it under the tire and attach the hooks on the inside of the chain. Then hook the latch on the outside of the chain. Lower the tractor and repeat on the other side.
    PaDave likes this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Are your tires loaded? My loaded 2720 tires are close to 400 lbs. once I add the heavy chains. My method is to lay the chains out behind the tractor, tire side down, jack up one tire, lift the chain end closest the tractor and lay it on the tire, getting it caught in the lugs, rotate the tire by hand until the end of the chain hits the floor, then pull it under the tire and attach the hooks on the inside of the chain. Then hook the latch on the outside of the chain. Lower the tractor and repeat on the other side.
    This will be the first year installing chains on my 2520 w/loaded R4's this weekend. Since I can't man handle much of anything anymore I really like your method and am going to do just that. My wife already knows she will have to be out in the barn to help me.

I've been dealing with tire chains most of my life from cars/pickups to dump trucks to graders (heavy!!). One thing I haven't seen mentioned, which may of course be obvious, but I always install the chains, then run the machine/vehicle around for a minute or so, then go back and re-tighten the chains. No matter how tight you may think you have them the first time, after you run the machine around for a minute you'd be surprises how much more you can tighten them.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Danbeck (11-22-2014)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for replies. HydroHarold on my outside side chain I was able to latch as short as possible. On my inside side chain it's hooked in last link. It's as long as possible. The cross links are between lugs and I'm unable to pull the inside side chain tighter. So the purpose of this post is to find out if this is what others encounter. When you pull the wheels, are you able to get that inside side chain tighter than I have with wheels on. I used tractor about a hour yesterday and the chains stayed put . So they might be ok as is. I need to purchase chain tighteners. I only plan to chain the rear wheels. I can see pulling the wheels would make the task somewhat easier. Good idea! At 76 I'm not sure I can lift to put them back on. Had a hard time when I pulled the left wheel for transmission fluid change. Thanks again for your replies, Dan

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast