Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Trick for Clearing First Snow on Gravel Drive

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks

Trick for Clearing First Snow on Gravel Drive

We just received about 4" of fairly light snow. The surfaces I keep cleared in the winter vary from road crush gravel, 1" washed rock, some grass areas, and some plain old dirt. I find the challenge of the first couple of snowfalls is clearing it without scrapping the gravel off the driveway or tearing up the grass in the grassy areas. Last year I pushed the first snow aside with the "heel" of the FEL bucket and it worked good to sort of pack down that first snow and start to build it up. This year I started doing that and then I thought I would try something else. I hooked up my 5' back blade and simply spun the blade backward, pulled the top link up tight so the blade was riding at as much of an angle as it could. It worked great. It would ride over the gravel without digging, it packed the snow into the grassy areas, and it is almost ready for the snow blower after the next snow, if this one doesn't melt off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	35773 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4452.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	560.5 KB 
ID:	35774 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4453.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	447.2 KB 
ID:	35775
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    You got it! That's the secret to using the blade on thawed gravel. I find it easier to push with the heal in reverse as then I'm not dealing with packed snow that I've already ran over and I don't have to worry about the snow piling up between the blade and my rear tires.
    Carvel Loafer and Levi like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    That is a great idea! That would prevent you from picking gravel out of melted snow piles come spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    2025R, 63 MMM, FEL, Ballast Box

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    When it snowed here in Georgia, I plowed the road with my rear blade. My neighbors literally came out of their houses to thank me. They were taking pictures and video. It was quite the event. I bid you well in your snow clearing duties. I'm afraid that you will never have cheering fans like I did one time and you'll have to keep doing it over and over again.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Yep - those first couple snows before the ground is frozen is tough. I did lots of damage the first couple years - and it sure is a pain to rake all that gravel out of the grass in the spring.

I plow only with my loader, and do just as you said now - keep the cutting edge up just a hair and push it off with the bucket. Once the driveway is frozen or have it to hard pack then I can scrape as normal.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvel Loafer View Post
    We just received about 4" of fairly light snow. The surfaces I keep cleared in the winter vary from road crush gravel, 1" washed rock, some grass areas, and some plain old dirt. I find the challenge of the first couple of snowfalls is clearing it without scrapping the gravel off the driveway or tearing up the grass in the grassy areas. Last year I pushed the first snow aside with the "heel" of the FEL bucket and it worked good to sort of pack down that first snow and start to build it up. This year I started doing that and then I thought I would try something else. I hooked up my 5' back blade and simply spun the blade backward, pulled the top link up tight so the blade was riding at as much of an angle as it could. It worked great. It would ride over the gravel without digging, it packed the snow into the grassy areas, and it is almost ready for the snow blower after the next snow, if this one doesn't melt off.

Which reminds me, I watched 3 or 4 of your YouTube videos yesterday. Think it was last winter's. Good job and I like the blower you have but doing it backwards would make my neck hurt.
    etcallhome likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Which reminds me, I watched 3 or 4 of your YouTube videos yesterday. Think it was last winter's. Good job and I like the blower you have but doing it backwards would make my neck hurt.
    Working backward seems to be the norm anyway with a 3PH, I have a comfortable side saddle position that I have grown accustomed to with using my left foot for the pedals. Even a lot of my 3PH mowing in the summer is the same when I am back mowing along the bush line. I'm always turning around for something even if it is backing up. But I know what you are saying, it can be a pain in the neck at times and I wonder how this body will feel in another 15-20 years when I start to get old.
    Duke Snyder and Levi like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvel Loafer For This Useful Post:

Jmud (09-18-2016)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

Side Saddle

Working backward seems to be the norm anyway with a 3PH, I have a comfortable side saddle position that I have grown accustomed to with using my left foot for the pedals. Even a lot of my 3PH mowing in the summer is the same when I am back mowing along the bush line. I'm always turning around for something even if it is backing up. But I know what you are saying, it can be a pain in the neck at times and I wonder how this body will feel in another 15-20 years when I start to get old.
    Well, I'm 60 & I learned to ride side saddle to watch better as I backed a manure spreader back under the barn cleaner back in the 70's. Done in moderation with my blower now, it's really not that bad!
    1026R FEL
    60" back blade
    48" rake
    48" box blade
    ballast box
    boom pole
    SB1148 snow blower

RCR 1548 3 point brush mower
    Husqvarna 46" tractor mower
    Bobcat 2300 UTV with Rapid Link
    Land Plane LP1160

12. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

Be careful pushing in reverse with your blade. I was once told that 3pt hitches are great for pulling (tensile loading), not so hot for pushing (compression loading).

-J.
    Gizmo2 and Carvel Loafer like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,610 Posts
    The first couple of snows of 1-4" ,I usually don't PLOW. I will drive up or down the drive way a few times to get it packed. If I try to plow at all , I will back blade and then I leave front blade off the gravel by an 1" or 2".
    After a few freezes then plow as normal.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast