Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: FEL Exposed Hydraulic Cylinder

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks

FEL Exposed Hydraulic Cylinder

Unfortunately have to store my FEL outside this winter. Hope to build shop facility next summer. Should I put any kind of lubrication on the exposed part of the Hydraulic Cylinder to protect it?
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    The cylinder rams have a coating on them to resist corrosion but I have seen several recommendations to apply a little Fluid Film to the exposed rods for extra insurance.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    I am in the same boat of storing my loader in a unheated pole barn. Just last week the temps were above freezing and I noticed the rams were practically dripping with water. I wiped them off and put a a thin coat of grease on them. I don't have fluid film around. My old 45 loader had this storage procedure. I plan to wipe the grease off before my first use in the spring.

Thanks for the info in the H120 rams having some coating on them. I noticed they have a grey hue to them verses the traditional look. Since my H120 FEL is new to me I have been studying both the paper and online manual on storage. I can't seem to find any information......

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    The coating used on the cylinders is called "Black Nitride", and is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than typical chrome-especially today's chrome.
    Levi likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Kennyd;169330]The coating used on the cylinders is called "Black Nitride", and is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than typical chrome-especially today's chrome.[/QUOTE]

ESPECIALLY the "simulated chrome" used on 260 BH stabilizers....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stabilizer.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	893.4 KB 
ID:	35971

...BH stored under a tarp tented and loosely tied down for "ventilation". No precipitation contacted these pistons and still they caught the rash. This is what happens when I DON'T READ the manual completely so I have no recourses with JD. It plainly states to put a coating of "grease" on exposed BH pistons. None of the other pistons sections that were exposed suffered any damage... I suspect this cylinder assembly was of foreign origin (not Orient). But certainly not worth a nitride coating in JD's book!.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    In a past Professional life, I dealt with the supplier JD used for their chrome plated cylinder rod material. I was on a first name basis with the President & VP and half the rest of the production & QA people in the plant that did the plating. They did a LOT of honing and hard chrome plating of my product. They were true masters of plating.

This black nitriding does seem to have one HUGE advantage over hard chrome plating, the treatment actually is part of the parent metal as opposed to being a coating on top of the surface. Where the cost savings comes in is the fact the black nitriding coats the rod surface plus hardens it. That's two separate operations on chrome plated cyl. rod material. Plus the black nitriding is a relatively low temperature operation compared to other hardening processes, only 1076 deg. F. The charts shown by some suppliers of the process don't really show that much of an improvement in corrosion protection and wear protection over hard chrome plating but the cost savings alone would be reason enough to adopt the new process.

Difficult to say if the cylinders or rods are imported. JD has their own cylinder mfg. plant in Moline, but they also buy "boat loads" of cylinders too.

PHIL D. - I'd let your wife's car sit outside before I'd let your tractor/loader set outside. A car can withstand weather many times better than a tractor. NOTHING ages a tractor faster than being exposed to rain, snow, sunlight, etc.
    Red badger likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (11-29-2014)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Almost all of the smaller cylinders are purchased from suppliers. I have been in Cylinder in Moline and they all are big cylinders. Like too big for 1 man to carry.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    In a past Professional life, I dealt with the supplier JD used for their chrome plated cylinder rod material. I was on a first name basis with the President & VP and half the rest of the production & QA people in the plant that did the plating. They did a LOT of honing and hard chrome plating of my product. They were true masters of plating.

This black nitriding does seem to have one HUGE advantage over hard chrome plating, the treatment actually is part of the parent metal as opposed to being a coating on top of the surface. Where the cost savings comes in is the fact the black nitriding coats the rod surface plus hardens it. That's two separate operations on chrome plated cyl. rod material. Plus the black nitriding is a relatively low temperature operation compared to other hardening processes, only 1076 deg. F. The charts shown by some suppliers of the process don't really show that much of an improvement in corrosion protection and wear protection over hard chrome plating but the cost savings alone would be reason enough to adopt the new process.

Difficult to say if the cylinders or rods are imported. JD has their own cylinder mfg. plant in Moline, but they also buy "boat loads" of cylinders too.

PHIL D. - I'd let your wife's car sit outside before I'd let your tractor/loader set outside. A car can withstand weather many times better than a tractor. NOTHING ages a tractor faster than being exposed to rain, snow, sunlight, etc.

I really like that idea. My car and tractor can stay in the garage and her car can go out. After she gets done snow blowing she Can clean her car off before going to work. I will of course have hot coffee for her when she is done. (On a side note only the FEL is staying outside, tractor is in garage)
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    Please report back on how this worked out for you.... errr... umm... I mean, let us know your new address.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Please report back on how this worked out for you.... errr... umm... I mean, let us know your new address.
    I don't know, I thought the hot coffee was a nice touch. :empathy3:
    2008 JD 2305 , Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' box blade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast