Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Land purchase and 1025

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks

Land purchase and 1025

Well we closed on some land today and am picking up a new 1025r filb tomorrow. Getting a box blade, rear blade, ballest box and 60" mid mount mower. First order of business is getting some driveway going. Any tips to level this before I start on it Sunday?? It's all running that way and about 800' total.

One of my customers has offered to drop his Bobcat off and let me use it for awhile. But I really don't like using people's stuff.
    Thanks!

etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Nice looking property. Kearney Nebraska?
    etcallhome, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Oops! Sorry for the second post.
    Last edited by Robnik; 05-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robnik For This Useful Post:

robertopod (05-04-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Land purchase and 1025

Quote Originally Posted by Robnik View Post
    Oops! Sorry for the second post.
    No problem! And thank you! And no it's Kearney Mo. Little town north of Kansas City. But the land is in an evener smaller town of Trimble Mo.
    Last edited by robertopod; 05-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    etcallhome, Levi, raco232 and 3 others like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to robertopod For This Useful Post:

Robnik (05-03-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertopod View Post
    No problem! And thank you! And no it's Kearney Mo. Little town north of Kansas City. But the land is in an evener smaller town of Trimble Mo.
    Congratulations on the new property, new tractor and new hobby (the latter come free with the former). You're in our backyard, as we're near Holt. The 1025 will be great for what you need on your property. How many acres, if I may ask? I see you have some of our invasive Red Cedar on your place. If you want more, I'll donate some. Take all you want (see how nice we are on this forum).
    Levi, Robnik, Veblen and 2 others like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 356 For This Useful Post:

robertopod (05-04-2018)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks

Take the bobcat

I'd be really, really tempted to take the offer of the Bobcat and get the rough grading done, any trees knocked down etc. It depends on your relationship with your customer and how comfortable you are on a Bobcat but a half day on the big machine would put you way ahead and spare your shiny new machine some rough work.

Absent the Bobcat, I'd concentrate on moving the brush, grass and duff off the road area first. That stuff won't grade well so I would push the brush and loose stuff off and use the box blade to strip the top couple of inches of topsoil and sod and pile that up. Cut a path wide enough for the road and ditches. Then use the box blade and rippers to start shaping your road, moving dirt off the high spots and filling in the low spots etc. Cut any ditches you need to take water away from the road and plan on any needed culverts. Your first priority on the actual road is to manage the water, particularly with the nice rolling slopes. Get the water into a ditch and have outlets that take it away. Once you have the basic road grade done, you can use the rear blade and shape the ditches and crown the road. Unless you have a roller or way to pack the road, you will need to do this over time so loose material will settle. You can pack some by filling the FEL bucket up with dirt and putting it on the ground in float position and backing up. That works well with a bigger machine but you can get some packing done with what you have. A dually pickup or other heavy truck running back and forth helps as does letting some time go by and some rain.

Top with whatever surface you want, rock, milled asphalt or leave bare if you won't use it much for a while. You will end up regrading periodically, especially until everything is packed in and some rock or other covering on the top.

Congratulations on the purchases. It's a pretty piece of property.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, Levi, W9GFO and 7 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

robertopod (05-04-2018)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    Congratulations on the new property, new tractor and new hobby (the latter come free with the former). You're in our backyard, as we're near Holt. The 1025 will be great for what you need on your property. How many acres, if I may ask? I see you have some of our invasive Red Cedar on your place. If you want more, I'll donate some. Take all you want (see how nice we are on this forum).
    Thank you and yep. We aren't far from Holt at all. It is 12 acres total. About 2-1/2 have been "cleared". With some more work to do on those cleared acres. Which was my excuse for needing the machine!
    Levi, Robnik and Fozsey like this.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I'd be really, really tempted to take the offer of the Bobcat and get the rough grading done, any trees knocked down etc. It depends on your relationship with your customer and how comfortable you are on a Bobcat but a half day on the big machine would put you way ahead and spare your shiny new machine some rough work.

Absent the Bobcat, I'd concentrate on moving the brush, grass and duff off the road area first. That stuff won't grade well so I would push the brush and loose stuff off and use the box blade to strip the top couple of inches of topsoil and sod and pile that up. Cut a path wide enough for the road and ditches. Then use the box blade and rippers to start shaping your road, moving dirt off the high spots and filling in the low spots etc. Cut any ditches you need to take water away from the road and plan on any needed culverts. Your first priority on the actual road is to manage the water, particularly with the nice rolling slopes. Get the water into a ditch and have outlets that take it away. Once you have the basic road grade done, you can use the rear blade and shape the ditches and crown the road. Unless you have a roller or way to pack the road, you will need to do this over time so loose material will settle. You can pack some by filling the FEL bucket up with dirt and putting it on the ground in float position and backing up. That works well with a bigger machine but you can get some packing done with what you have. A dually pickup or other heavy truck running back and forth helps as does letting some time go by and some rain.

Top with whatever surface you want, rock, milled asphalt or leave bare if you won't use it much for a while. You will end up regrading periodically, especially until everything is packed in and some rock or other covering on the top.

Congratulations on the purchases. It's a pretty piece of property.

Treefarmer
    Thank you for all of the input. I think I will start with your advice and my new machine and see how I do. If I get too frustrated with the time it is taking then I'll think about borrowing the loader. I've been lurking on here for awhile while pondering the purchase. The input here is invaluable.
    Levi, Robnik, Fozsey and 1 others like this.

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    Oh and my wife wants to keep the "Christmas trees"
    Levi and Robnik like this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post

This is excellent advice!

My experience starting with new land about three years ago, is that the 1025R is not enough tractor for some jobs, and it will do others if you break the job down into small bites. They just take a lot longer. Think of the old adage about how an ant eats an elephant - one bite at a time.

You'll start wishing you had bought a bigger tractor. But once you get the bigger jobs done (even if it means hiring out some of the one time-and done types of jobs), the 1025R starts to come into its own.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 05-04-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    etcallhome, Levi, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

robertopod (05-04-2018)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast