John Deere 2210 Front Left wheel leaking oil
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: John Deere 2210 Front Left wheel leaking oil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-28-2018 @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    My 2210 is leaking oil inside the left front wheel. I can't find a vent tube anywhere on the front end. When I pull the oil stick out to check level. I can here the air pressure from the dip stick. I'm thinking pressure is causing leak or blown seal. Tractor has low hours (400)
    Last edited by Bynum1racing; 07-29-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Does the john deere 2210 have a front differential vent?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2210 and also noticed a release of air pressure when I remove the dipstick. Mine is leaking at the MFWD driveshaft. I have a X595 and noticed there is a vent on the front transaxle just like the hydro.

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the filler cap to vent the gearcase.
    JUST JOHN DEERE

X595 with 62C deck
    X595 with Buford Bucket
    X740 with 62C deck
    2210 with Buford Bucket
    TS Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George of Buford View Post
    I have a 2210 and also noticed a release of air pressure when I remove the dipstick. Mine is leaking at the MFWD driveshaft. I have a X595 and noticed there is a vent on the front transaxle just like the hydro.

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the filler cap to vent the gearcase.
    I would be careful as a simple hole would also allow water to enter.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    There was a guy here who got a threaded pipe nipple that fits in the dipstick hole, installed it, and ran a piece of vinyl tub from the nipple, up under the side panel and then connected it to the airbox.

the other thing is that the 10 series are notorious for leaky front ends. I don't think that venting it will help you much.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    There was a guy here who got a threaded pipe nipple that fits in the dipstick hole, installed it, and ran a piece of vinyl tub from the nipple, up under the side panel and then connected it to the airbox.
    That's not a bad idea.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynum1racing View Post
    My 2210 is leaking oil inside the left front wheel. I can't find a vent tube anywhere on the front end. When I pull the oil stick out to check level. I can here the air pressure from the dip stick. I'm thinking pressure is causing leak or blown seal. Tractor has low hours (400)
    It's probably just more of a function of the tractor being 12 to 15 years old (depending when it was made) and unfortunately, these tractors are not strangers to front axle leaks. Bottom line, a vent likely wouldn't hurt if done correctly, but I doubt it's going to stop the leak or prevent future leaks based upon the history of these machines.

You might want to try a chemical solution to see if you can swell the seal and solve the leak. I will honestly admit I never used to be a big believer in the "Miracle in a bottle approach", but I have to say, I have had great success with one particular product. The Blue Devil product. Here is the website for their products.

https://store.gobdp.com/products/

I have used it in tractor hydro units, power steering systems, transmission seals and it also stopped a leaky rear main seal on my wives Ford Expedition which the dealership repaired twice and it still leaked. After using the Blue Devil, it hasn't leaked since...... It's about $22 a bottle and it's the easiest "attempt" to resolve the leak. It works by restoring flexibility to rubber seals and swells the seals somewhat, to help address the leaks. However, If a seal is torn or damaged, nothing short of replacing the seal is going to stop the leak.

You may want to contact Blue Devil and ask them about using their product. I would focus on the thickness of the fluid used in the axle when selecting the Blue Devil product. Perhaps they will recommend against it, I don't know. But if you want to try something else to attempt to stop or slow the leak without tearing it apart, this would be an option.

If I were to vent it, I would approach it as John123 mentioned in his post, perhaps with the difference being sourcing a vent which wouldn't require the hose to the airbox.

Often, "creative solutions" to these types of problems can be found in the after market performance parts marketplace. For example, when you search "Axle vents" at the Summitt racing site, there are 145 items found, including everything from complete kits to individual pieces. Since so much of the after market racing requires fabrication, this is often a good source for individual items such as this......

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...d=axle%20vents

Summitt is just one of many, many companies in the industry. I selected it simply because I have worked with them in the past.

Granted, you are not going to be able to look up your 2210 Deere and have them suggest a specific solution. But it's a good place for ideas as well as individual pieces which are available that might solve your issue. It's worth a shot.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I replaced the seal. So far so good. I drove the tractor maybe 50 yards. I pulled the dip stick. A lot if pressure came from it. Definitely will be doing some type of venting system for it. Afraid to run it much. Afraid it will blow all seals! I thought that was a lot pressure for just a short run!
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    In my opinion, there should not be pressure inside the MFWD case. I have two MFWD X595's and they do have a vent just like the hydro. As I said, I planned to add a vent on the filler cap. The hydro has a filler cap, R91129, ($6) that is exactly the same as the dipstick cap, except that there is no dipstick. I drilled a hole from both sides on an upward angle so water would not run into the holes. I hit the existing unused dipstick hole inside the cap so there is now positive ventilation for the MFWD housing. My tractors are always under roof and I will risk a little condensation, rather than changing seals. I just need to remember where I put the dipstick cap when I need to check it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vent.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	495.1 KB 
ID:	641684

George of Buford
    Last edited by George of Buford; 08-04-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    JUST JOHN DEERE

X595 with 62C deck
    X595 with Buford Bucket
    X740 with 62C deck
    2210 with Buford Bucket
    TS Gator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynum1racing View Post
    Well, I replaced the seal. So far so good. I drove the tractor maybe 50 yards. I pulled the dip stick. A lot if pressure came from it. Definitely will be doing some type of venting system for it. Afraid to run it much. Afraid it will blow all seals! I thought that was a lot pressure for just a short run!
    The seal in the final drive cover? if so, did you replace and torque the nut correctly?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I like the hydro cap idea. I am going to use that remedy for now. My 2210 is alway under cover at the shop. Thank you.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast