1025R Ignition key different replacement?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 1025R Ignition key different replacement?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks

1025R Ignition key different replacement?

Hi, I'm a new member of GTT and a new owner of a JD 1025r. It's just under a year old now, and I noticed something interesting. The key from my old Craftsman tractor fits my new John Deere. My question is, is there an upgraded ignition available that has individual keys and plugs into the existing wiring harness so there is a little security if the tractor has to be left outside?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Thanks
    None that I'm aware of.
    kylew likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Nope.

Your best bet is to come up with your own kill switch and hidden location if you are really worried about it.
    kylew and goat704! like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    10 bucks says you can stick anything that'll fit in the key slot and it'll turn and start. You could turn off the fuel at the filter by the engine as a deterrent and/or pull a strategic fuse. A hidden kill switch is a great idea.
    DRobinson and SulleyBear like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,270 Posts
    Yup, a master disconnect somewhere off the battery could do the trick.
    SulleyBear, kylew and goat704! like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    I was a bit shocked myself when I took the key to my 2018 2025R to the local farm store to have a spare made. Hand the fellow at the key machine my key, he looked at it took 2 off the key blank display rack and handed all of them back to me. I said no duplicating cutting needed and he said nope....universal key....no cutting needed. I really should not have been surprised. I retired from a Caterpillar Inc parts distribution center and we used to receive the keys to Caterpillar machinery in boxes of many thousands to sell to the dealers as needed. At least most Cat machines are a bit harder to transport and hide if stolen than our compact tractors.
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    You can buy a set of "Universal Keys" online for a wide variety of machines.

Here is a link to buy a full set of universal keys for just about everything you would want in tractors, heavy equipment, lawn equipment, etc. for less than $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Keys-Heavy-Eq...ctor+key&psc=1

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. There is a Youtube video where the guy takes the key from his new 1025R and while at the dealership one weekend early evening, he goes around to various pieces of equipment to see what his key would start and everything he tried, the key would operate.

If you are worried about the theft of your machine, you can add a GPS tracker to the tractor for very reasonable cost. Just make sure to hide it pretty well so it's on the machine long enough for you to locate it and get the law enforcement assistance to recover it.

There are numerous very good GPS trackers which you can hide on the vehicle. It's best to have the GPS have it's own battery source or hook it to a very small portable battery supply the size of a cigarette lighter. Make sure anything you consider isn't the old 2G cell technology as parts of the cell system are no longer supporting the 2 g signals. Some have monthly subscription fees, some don't. Some require a minimum service contract, some don't. You have to read the fine print carefully and also the reviews by those who have used the devices.

Here is a link to the page where the GPS trackers are sold on Amazon. There are a bunch to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=SX58U4N4518Z

Personally, I added separate insurance coverage on my tractor, cab and all implements so it was covered on it's own and not as part of my homeowners policy. The homeowners policies will cover the tractor for theft while on your property and some other restrictions. Homeowners policies will NOT cover the machine for damage if it's struck by a vehicle while alongside the road, or on someone else's property, etc. For about $200 a year, I have a policy that covers my tractor and implements for $40,000 regardless of the type of loss or where the loss should occur.

To protect against loss, you can spend money on a GPS unit, or other theft prevention / reduction approaches or you can insure the item against loss. I would rather insure the loss and if it's stolen or damaged, use the proceeds to replace it. Items which have been stolen from me in the past, I wouldn't want them back after the theft.
    BigJim55, kylew and goat704! like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Some ideas: use at your own risk.

1) Chain thru the steering wheel to some other part of the tractor with a padlock.

2) Repurpose one of the safety switches as a circuit with a switch to prevent operation.

3) Install a Tile GPS tracker on the tractor somewhere hidden so it can be found if needed.

4) insurance is a good idea as well.

5) In a hidden spot only known to you, etch a specific phrase or initials on the tractor so that it can be found later.

6) Take picture of each of your implements/tractor, followed by a pic of the vin plate of each machine. Keep these in your phone so that you have them away from home at all times should the need arise.

7) Chain the parking brake pedal down, or drill a hole in the linkage, so that you can insert a padlock underneath the tractor, jamming the parking brake while engaged.

8) Turn off the fuel supply.

9) Remove the starter relay, and/or multiple realys from the fuse block so that the machine is inoperable.

10) Hidden master disconnect keyed switch in the ground cable to the battery.
    Zebrafive, PJR832, kylew and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    There is a reason why equipment like a stolen tractor like these are rarely recovered. Unless the thief were to take the tractor into a dealer for work, no one would ever run the VIN number for any reason through a database which would flag the machine as stolen. However, if your machine was financed when stolen, Deere files a UCC Lien on the tractor and all implements so if Deere were to report the item as stolen on their lien, then perhaps the serial or vin number would show up as stolen if a new lien holder was attempting to make a loan on the machine.

But this is the proverbial needle in the haystack location method. Our local dealer has lost brand new machines and implements right off the dealership lot. Those machines are probably working every day somewhere and as long as they keep the machine away from a dealer where they might check the VIN number to put into their Service Records, then the machine is very UN-likely to ever be found or discovered as a stolen machine.

You have to wonder where so many of the like new major components sold on "auction sites" such as entire engines, entire rear transaxles, etc come from. After all, it's not like many of these machines are "totaled" in crashes and then stripped and sold through salvage yards. They are just stripped and sold through salvage operations......Not all new machine components are likely stolen, but I would be amazed if some weren't.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    I also went with insurance on tractor and all the implements. There was some basic coverage under our homeowners insurance for named hazards as my agent calls them. Transporting to deer camp no coverage or any incidents at deer camp no coverage. For about $20.00 a month its covered for anything that might happen to it anyplace and anytime. I can drive it off into the lake we live on and its covered. This insurance coverage is only for personal use of the machine and implements. If charging for doing work with the machine thats a whole different ball game.
    SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast