Need help with location of Independent Lift valve for MMM
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kennyd
  • 1 Post By martincom
  • 1 Post By martincom

Thread: Need help with location of Independent Lift valve for MMM

  1. Top | #1
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,201
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 388 Times in 241 Posts

    Need help with location of Independent Lift valve for MMM

    I had the dealer install the Independent Lift on my 1025r some time ago. It has acted up a few times before but always straightened out after running awhile. But today I went to use it and it will not work at all. Since I did not install it I don't know exactly where the valve is located and the deck is all the way up in lock position so can't really get a good look underneath. And can't remove the deck to get it out of the way since the lift doesn't work.

    I've checked the switch and it is good, has 12 volts across it and drops to 0 when switched, but no click can be heard and the deck doesn't move so I assume the valve is bad. My question is can anyone tell me where the valve is located and if it can be accessed from the top by removing a floorboard or?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,458
    Thanks
    5,070
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 2,552 Posts
    See if this thread helps. There are a few more, I just google searched (top right) “lift installation”

    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ift-1025r.html
    Drifterbike likes this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

    spferdil (08-03-2018)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
    The valve is mounted almost dead center of the floor board if I remember correctly from when I installed it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jphavener For This Useful Post:

    spferdil (08-03-2018)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,473
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 282 Times in 214 Posts
    It is bolted to the bottom side of a steel frame cross plate. So you will not be able to access it by removing the floor board.

    If the deck is all the way up, stack up some blocking for a fulcrum point and then use a 2x4 or similar as a pry to lift the deck enough to take the load of the stepped cam, so you can have an assistant turn the dial to "install". Be sure you have everything prepped for removal.
    Firemark likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

    spferdil (08-03-2018)

  10. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    It is bolted to the bottom side of a steel frame cross plate. So you will not be able to access it by removing the floor board.
    I may be wrong but I thought the valve cartridge and solenoid were accessible from the top side. The ports in the valve body are below the plate, so those aren't accessible.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

  11. Top | #6
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 565 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I had the dealer install the Independent Lift on my 1025r some time ago. It has acted up a few times before but always straightened out after running awhile. But today I went to use it and it will not work at all. Since I did not install it I don't know exactly where the valve is located and the deck is all the way up in lock position so can't really get a good look underneath. And can't remove the deck to get it out of the way since the lift doesn't work.

    I've checked the switch and it is good, has 12 volts across it and drops to 0 when switched, but no click can be heard and the deck doesn't move so I assume the valve is bad. My question is can anyone tell me where the valve is located and if it can be accessed from the top by removing a floorboard or?
    It is interesting you say the voltage drops to 0 when the switch is "switched". I assume you are checking the voltage feeding the switch and the switch output. The voltage feeding the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it all the time with the key turned on. The output of the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it when the momentary rocker switch is held in the on (lift) position.

    So, it would be normal if the output voltage goes to 0 volts when the switch is in it normal, off, position. But when it is held in the lift position, both terminals on the rocker switch should be at 12 VDC.

    If the voltage at the output of the rocker switch is at 0 volts when it is held to lift, there is a voltage supply problem.

    I would check the input (terminal 2) to the rocker switch, both when the switch is in its normal position and also when it is held in the lift position. The 12 VDC input volt should be constant. Then do the same thing at the output terminal. The voltage should be 0 volts with the rocker switch in its normal position. It should be 12 VDC when the switch is held in the lift position. If it isn't, you most likely have a bad rocker switch.

    To check the solenoid, temporarily jumper the two wires on the back of the rocker switch together with the engine running. The solenoid valve should shift and the mmm should lift.

    As others have said, the solenoid valve is mounted under the frame, centered in the tractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1025R Wire_Schematic_8.JPG  
    Last edited by Ray_PA; 08-04-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  12. Top | #7
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,473
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 282 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    It is interesting you say the voltage drops to 0 when the switch is "switched". I assume you are checking the voltage feeding the switch and the switch output. The voltage feeding the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it all the time with the key turned on. The output of the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it when the momentary rocker switch is held in the on (lift) position.

    So, it would be normal if the output voltage goes to 0 volts when the switch is in it normal, off, position. But when it is held in the lift position, both terminals on the rocker switch should be at 12 VDC.

    If the voltage at the output of the rocker switch is at 0 volts when it is held to lift, there is a voltage supply problem.

    I would check the input (terminal 2) to the rocker switch, both when the switch is in its normal position and also when it is held in the lift position. The 12 VDC input volt should be constant. Then do the same thing at the output terminal. The voltage should be 0 volts with the rocker switch in its normal position. It should be 12 VDC when the switch is held in the lift position. If it isn't, you most likely have a bad rocker switch.

    To check the solenoid, temporarily jumper the two wires on the back of the rocker switch together with the engine running. The solenoid valve should shift and the mmm should lift.

    As others have said, the solenoid valve is mounted under the frame, centered in the tractor.
    If he was measuring across the switch terminals, his results would be correct for a normal functioning circuit. Also, if we were confident the 12 volt supply to the switch was OK, it would indicate the switch was OK and likely the coil of the solenoid valve. Ray offered good advise. You'll want to make those voltage measurements referenced to ground (negative lead of voltmeter connected to ground.)

    There is a two circuit metripack connector, just behind the engine, under the console, where the harness from the solenoid connects. It is accessible, not necessarily easily. You could open that up and check for continuity and resistance across the solenoid. It shouldn't be more than a few ohms. If that checks OK, you can try applying 12 volts across the connector and see if the solenoid activates.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

  13. Top | #8
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,201
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 388 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    It is interesting you say the voltage drops to 0 when the switch is "switched". I assume you are checking the voltage feeding the switch and the switch output. The voltage feeding the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it all the time with the key turned on. The output of the rocker switch should have 12 VDC at it when the momentary rocker switch is held in the on (lift) position.

    So, it would be normal if the output voltage goes to 0 volts when the switch is in it normal, off, position. But when it is held in the lift position, both terminals on the rocker switch should be at 12 VDC.

    If the voltage at the output of the rocker switch is at 0 volts when it is held to lift, there is a voltage supply problem.

    I would check the input (terminal 2) to the rocker switch, both when the switch is in its normal position and also when it is held in the lift position. The 12 VDC input volt should be constant. Then do the same thing at the output terminal. The voltage should be 0 volts with the rocker switch in its normal position. It should be 12 VDC when the switch is held in the lift position. If it isn't, you most likely have a bad rocker switch.
    I should have been more clear about checking the switch. Checking from the switch input terminal to ground it has 12 volts. Checking across the switch terminals of course there is 12 volts since the switch is open with the other terminal being at ground potential thru the solenoid coil. Checking across it while activating the switch reads zero since when the switch closes both terminals are at 12 volts, hence no voltage differential between them. 12 volts is there at the switch and it is closing and passing the 12 volts to the other terminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    To check the solenoid, temporarily jumper the two wires on the back of the rocker switch together with the engine running. The solenoid valve should shift and the mmm should lift.
    Tried that, no joy.

    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    If he was measuring across the switch terminals, his results would be correct for a normal functioning circuit. Also, if we were confident the 12 volt supply to the switch was OK, it would indicate the switch was OK and likely the coil of the solenoid valve. Ray offered good advise. You'll want to make those voltage measurements referenced to ground (negative lead of voltmeter connected to ground.)

    There is a two circuit metripack connector, just behind the engine, under the console, where the harness from the solenoid connects. It is accessible, not necessarily easily. You could open that up and check for continuity and resistance across the solenoid. It shouldn't be more than a few ohms. If that checks OK, you can try applying 12 volts across the connector and see if the solenoid activates.
    I've checked continuity from the output switch terminal to ground which should be checking across the coil of the solenoid, reads about 7 ohms. So I'd say the coil is OK, and not shorted or it would be blowing fuses. From what I've seen either by activating the switch or shorting the connectors, 12 volts applied to the solenoid will not actuate the valve, for whatever reason. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the valve is sticking or broken such that the solenoid can't open it.

    I think the next step will be to rig a harness to lift the deck enough with the overhead hoist to be able to turn the depth knob to Install so I can get the deck off the tractor. Haven't had the time or the inclination to pursue it right now, its too danged hot. I've about given up trying to mow with this thing anyway, have tried both the mechanical lift and this independent lift, both have been just one problem after another. Really glad I kept my Kubota zero-turn.

    Thanks for the replies.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  14. Top | #9
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 565 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I should have been more clear about checking the switch. Checking from the switch input terminal to ground it has 12 volts. Checking across the switch terminals of course there is 12 volts since the switch is open with the other terminal being at ground potential thru the solenoid coil. Checking across it while activating the switch reads zero since when the switch closes both terminals are at 12 volts, hence no voltage differential between them. 12 volts is there at the switch and it is closing and passing the 12 volts to the other terminal.



    Tried that, no joy.



    I've checked continuity from the output switch terminal to ground which should be checking across the coil of the solenoid, reads about 7 ohms. So I'd say the coil is OK, and not shorted or it would be blowing fuses. From what I've seen either by activating the switch or shorting the connectors, 12 volts applied to the solenoid will not actuate the valve, for whatever reason. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the valve is sticking or broken such that the solenoid can't open it.

    I think the next step will be to rig a harness to lift the deck enough with the overhead hoist to be able to turn the depth knob to Install so I can get the deck off the tractor. Haven't had the time or the inclination to pursue it right now, its too danged hot. I've about given up trying to mow with this thing anyway, have tried both the mechanical lift and this independent lift, both have been just one problem after another. Really glad I kept my Kubota zero-turn.

    Thanks for the replies.
    Just a thought, by chance do you have the PB on your tractor. Maybe the jumper hose at the rear isn't connected correctly.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  15. Top | #10
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,201
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 388 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Just a thought, by chance do you have the PB on your tractor. Maybe the jumper hose at the rear isn't connected correctly.
    Nope, no PB or backhoe.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •