Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Battery suddenly died

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks

Battery suddenly died

For the past few days I have been using the 1025R payloader on various small jobs on the farm. Tractor started always quick, no problems. Today, shut it off, 10 minutes later tried to start, nothing. Would not turn over. Tried to charge the battery, and it would not take a charge. Battery was only 3 years old, but completely dead. John Deere dealer said also the battery was dead, and said it is not unusual for the maintenance free batteries to suddenly die with no prior warning. New battery solves the problem, but I question the JD dealer. I have never, ever had a battery suddenly die with normal use.
    Anybody out there with a similar experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Banned
    Last Online
    08-29-2018 @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Yep I've had it happen several times not with JD but with cat and we run a fleet of dump trucks when they go bad there dead as a door nail !

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Ive had it happen a couple times.

Quite often, its on newer vehicles. Its not that the battery is completely dead, but because of the computer controls, they act that way.
    Most recent one was our Explorer, it left us that way in the grocery store parking lot. It had been started 5 times that particular day. Went to start if after we were done and nothing.
    New battery solved it.

If you dont run them for long periods to recover the charge, it is a good idea to use some type of trickle charger like a Battery Tender, or any of several others.
    What I mean is, lots of guys use them for a few minutes at a time, then shut down, then restart for a few minutes work, then shut down, etc.
    Thats hard on the battery over time, if its not getting its full charge.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Yes on 2305, somewhat older but working fine and then dead as a doornail
    etcallhome, Levi and RetiredDoc like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    It's not uncommon for a battery to develop a dead short where a plate breaks free and contacts another and therefore shorts the entire battery. While battery technology is certainly improving, demands have also and we are getting more and more capacity out of batteries which means thinner plates and potentially less durability. I view batteries like tires and I always buy high end, and always put the highest capacity battery in as a replacement. I never buy batteries based on the cheapest price nor tires. This is not to imply that I am not frugal, nothing could be further from the truth. It is just that the better quality seems to last longer and I get better performance along the way. Batteries in anything off-road have a tough life from bouncing around and exposed to vast temperature changes.
    Along this line, I have a bone of contention with new computerized battery load testers. Many times I have taken a battery in when it was beginning to fail. Especially in a diesel, crank speed is essential to start, and if you feel your starting RPM starting to drop, you know, either your batteries or starter is getting tired. The computerized tester will show them as good every time, but in fact you are just days or weeks away from a failure. Either a failure to start, or the battery will die. I much prefer the old style carbon pile load testers where they put a real load on the battery and showed results. They were infallible. If the CCA wasn't there, it clearly showed in that real world test. The new testers show voltage and surface voltage that is adequate does not equate to cranking power. IMHO, it is a way to avoid honoring warranties on batteries. If a vendor insists that you put a battery back in service that you know is failing, take your business elsewhere. Keep in mind that there are only 3 major manufacturers of starting flooded automotive batteries in the US and 4 AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). So, service is essential. If a machine has dual batteries, I always replace in pairs and use the one good take out in something else, and, I switch from side to side on occasion. Terminal cleaning and corrosion prevention reaps big dividends. Solar trickle chargers are cheap and a great way to keep equipment in a shed in top starting form.
    North585, Levi, RetiredDoc and 1 others like this.
    Jim
    USMC 73-77
    1026R, H120 Loader, 53" Bucket, 60" 7 Iron Auto-Connect MMM, Artillian Forks, Artillian Front Hoe, King Kutter 48" Tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    For the past few days I have been using the 1025R payloader on various small jobs on the farm. Tractor started always quick, no problems. Today, shut it off, 10 minutes later tried to start, nothing. Would not turn over. Tried to charge the battery, and it would not take a charge. Battery was only 3 years old, but completely dead. John Deere dealer said also the battery was dead, and said it is not unusual for the maintenance free batteries to suddenly die with no prior warning. New battery solves the problem, but I question the JD dealer. I have never, ever had a battery suddenly die with normal use. Anybody out there with a similar experience.
    The dealer is correct. That is EXACTLY how my 2720 battery died. It was about 4 years old. It always started without hesitation. One day I pulled the tractor out of the garage and shut the engine off. 10-mins later I tried to start the tractor and NOTHING. Dead as a door nail and would not take a charge. And it always had a battery tender attached.
    Levi and RetiredDoc like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    iIf you dont run them for long periods to recover the charge, it is a good idea to use some type of trickle charger like a Battery Tender, or any of several others. What I mean is, lots of guys use them for a few minutes at a time, then shut down, then restart for a few minutes work, then shut down, etc. Thats hard on the battery over time, if its not getting its full charge.
    My JD battery died suddenly despite always being hooked to a battery tender.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-27-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same thing happen on my last 2 cars. They suddenly died with no warning after 4 years. I now have a 2016 Honda CRV and was on a CRV forum reading about batteries. They were talking about batteries dying suddenly and one poster said that maintenance free batteries aren't really. He suggested taking off the "non-removeable" caps and adding distilled water if needed. I took the caps off of my 2 year old battery and the acid was down to the top of the plates. I added water and all has been well so far. I think they are low maintenance and not maintenance free.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    My 2012 1026R did the same thing. It was fine and then it was just dead. This JD battery lasted 6 years so I wasn't too mad. I do put mine on a charger a few times a month.

Levi likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Ive had it happen a couple times.

Quite often, its on newer vehicles. Its not that the battery is completely dead, but because of the computer controls, they act that way.
    Most recent one was our Explorer, it left us that way in the grocery store parking lot. It had been started 5 times that particular day. Went to start if after we were done and nothing.
    New battery solved it.

If you dont run them for long periods to recover the charge, it is a good idea to use some type of trickle charger like a Battery Tender, or any of several others.
    What I mean is, lots of guys use them for a few minutes at a time, then shut down, then restart for a few minutes work, then shut down, etc.
    Thats hard on the battery over time, if its not getting its full charge.
    Because of my and others experience with batteries dying a quick death - had the same happen to my 2520.

One day in my ‘09 Ford pickup going to town the NAV screen started doing some funny things. I immediately thought of how my tractor battery died and went straight to the dealer to have the battery replaced.

This time I noticed a sign of the battery failing which is rare. Knew I had to take care of it right away before it let us sit at one of the stores.
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast