Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Finally ordered wheel weights

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks

Finally ordered wheel weights

Finally ordered wheel weights from the dealer yesterday, two 70lb and two 50lb along with mounting hardware. In addition to dirt work, I wanted them for use in the winter with my front blower and rear blade. They might be in by Friday, if not, than after the weekend. Iím looking forward to putting them on and driving the rig on my property and in the woods to feel the difference. I also have air/fluid valve and the rest of the stuff to fluid fill if necessary. Still debating if I should also add fluid or if that will be too much and will affect mowing too.

I also had sipped the tires before last winter and it made a difference in snow work but I feel I still need to add weight.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Just dont put them on backwards like Deere shows in one of its ad pictures of the 1025.
    You may already know this, but the recess in the face of the weight goes toward the outside, and the small inner rim and recess is what sits over the wheel bolts and keeps the weight from riding against them. It also makes mounting the second weight nearly impossible mounted like Deere has in the aforementioned picture. There are threaded holes in the starter weight so that the second can be easily mounted to it.
    Youd think someone at Deere would have caught that, but nope.

By the way, Im a big fan of cast iron weight vs filled tires. Easy to remove if you dont want it.
    Id try it with just the weights, and if you feel you need more after that, then add fluid if you want. Or more weights. You can stack a bunch on there...a buddy used to run 3 of the 50# weights stacked at plow days. He didnt have starter weights. Ive run my starters and two 50# weights outside them at plow days, but never for snow removal because they end up wider than the snowthrower path and knock the snow back down.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Thanks
    My starters just arrived yesterday! Had originally ordered starters & a set of add ons, but there was a part mixup. Remembered reading that the JD bolt kit was overpriced and could get better price at a big box. Will have to find the post again so I can get bolts.

Correct installation orientation shown here?
    https://www.landproequipment.com/new...Weight/BM17973

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dianedebuda For This Useful Post:

mopeman†(08-16-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Just dont put them on backwards like Deere shows in one of its ad pictures of the 1025.
    You may already know this, but the recess in the face of the weight goes toward the outside, and the small inner rim and recess is what sits over the wheel bolts and keeps the weight from riding against them. It also makes mounting the second weight nearly impossible mounted like Deere has in the aforementioned picture. There are threaded holes in the starter weight so that the second can be easily mounted to it.
    Here's an old thread on 1 series wheel weights. Good info on backwards and forwards.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ght-issue.html

As for using the tapped holes on the starter weights, my problem was that the outer 50# weight blocked the valve stem, so I used longer bolts going through both weights.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

mopeman†(08-16-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    What puzzled me is JDs lack of docomentation. The 1025 is not even listed on their website to match weights. The mounting hardware available has to be cut to fit a starter and a 50#. No carriage bolts available from JD so they fit in square hole for single tool tightening. Nothing is put in simple terms that says, ď this is the way the weights and bolts go. And this is recommended method to seat them.Ē I canít believe that they canít give a simple set of accurate illustrations and short and sweat directions. I observed a ton of threads here they were initially installed wrong. I donít believe in many cases it was the fault of the op.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    What puzzled me is JDs lack of docomentation. The 1025 is not even listed on their website to match weights. The mounting hardware available has to be cut to fit a starter and a 50#. No carriage bolts available from JD so they fit in square hole for single tool tightening. Nothing is put in simple terms that says, ď this is the way the weights and bolts go. And this is recommended method to seat them.Ē I canít believe that they canít give a simple set of accurate illustrations and short and sweat directions. I observed a ton of threads here they were initially installed wrong. I donít believe in many cases it was the fault of the op.

My best source if information is GTT. Consider most instruction sheets as a "guide to assembly" and to use my own common sense.

And one of my mottos is: "Don't sweat the small stuff" ... I'll probably live longer with less stress.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    My starters just arrived yesterday! Had originally ordered starters & a set of add ons, but there was a part mixup. Remembered reading that the JD bolt kit was overpriced and could get better price at a big box. Will have to find the post again so I can get bolts.

Correct installation orientation shown here?
    https://www.landproequipment.com/new...Weight/BM17973
    Thats the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Here's an old thread on 1 series wheel weights. Good info on backwards and forwards.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ght-issue.html

As for using the tapped holes on the starter weights, my problem was that the outer 50# weight blocked the valve stem, so I used longer bolts going through both weights.

Just my 2 cents.
    Trouble is, they dont tell you what orientation based on where your valve stem is. And with the starters, the holes arent 90 degrees apart, so there may not actually be a position this happens in!
    If the longer bolt worked, turning the weight to the next set of holes in the wheel may have worked. Its been a bit since I actually sat down and looked at mine. I do recall that some people had this issue on garden tractors as well years ago, and some of them use the same rear wheel on the 1025, so maybe it wouldnt have done any good now that I think about it.
    The other option is to drill and tap a set of holes that will work for you, though its is much more labor intensive than what you did. Well, tossing around 50# weights is pretty labor intensive, so maybe not...

What puzzled me is JDs lack of docomentation. The 1025 is not even listed on their website to match weights. The mounting hardware available has to be cut to fit a starter and a 50#. No carriage bolts available from JD so they fit in square hole for single tool tightening. Nothing is put in simple terms that says, “ this is the way the weights and bolts go. And this is recommended method to seat them.” I can’t believe that they can’t give a simple set of accurate illustrations and short and sweat directions. I observed a ton of threads here they were initially installed wrong. I don’t believe in many cases it was the fault of the op.
    Yes. I too dont understand the lack of documentation. I also dont understand their pricing for a few nuts and bolts.
    The weights for my 2025 used, if I recall, 4 carriage bolts, 4 washers, and 4 lock nuts. Well, Deere had a lock washer, and standard nut, but still, they wanted better than $20 PER SIDE for this.
    I paid about $10 total.
    I NEVER use their hardware, because in the case of the smaller weights (the ones you are getting), their kit is a standard bolt. Its a PITA to reach around behind the wheel and hold that thing, mount the weight, put the washer/nut on it and get it all started.
    Over on WFM, we all figured out (after someone else told us that is) that if you use the correct length carriage bolt for your wheel offset, you can put a short length of garden hose (maybe an inch or so) on the weight side of the wheel, with a nut over that, and tighten down until its snug against the hose piece. This allows you do then work completely from the outside of the wheel and not have to mess with anything behind it.
    Might be something to look into when yours arrive.
    One other tip. This doesnt apply to the starter weights, only the 50# weights used by themselves. When mounting them to the wheel, if you have a long (maybe 18" or so) length of 1/2" rod, you can insert it into the wheel weight bolt hole on the wheel, then through the bolt hole on the weight, then you can easily lift the end and slide the weight into place on the wheel. Obviously youll need to use a hole you arent using for bolts.

What nobody seems to say to anyone about these is that just because the bolts are in doesnt mean it will center itself. It doesnt need to be perfect, but the closer you are, the less likely you are to have one slip and loosen up later on.
    On my 2025, I was able to set the weight in place (WATCH YOUR FINGERS! OUCH!!!), then use a thick plastic shim I had with a sock over it to protect the finish on the wheel to leverage the wheel weight in place before tightening the bolts down.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    I agree totally. The one thing that almost stopped my purchase was the fact that i could not call JD with questions. All the other tractor companies I called< MF, NH, Case, had people available to answer questions.
    I like wheel weights have them on my other tractors and never take them off. I took the liquid ballast out of my old Ford and do notice a dramatic difference on slopes. Even a little extra weight down low makes a tremendous difference on a slope. Oh, and the old Ford has five 75LB weights on the weight bar in the front but even with those and wheel weights I notice a difference without liquid ballast.
    mopeman likes this.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    Ah who needs them weights anyway my beer belly is all the ballast i need!
    ejb69, keane and mopeman like this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks
    I'll keep this in mind when I transfer the weights from my 400 to the 1025. Now that I think about it, the weights on my 400 are on backwards!
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast