Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Milsco seat on 1025R - why not?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks

Milsco seat on 1025R - why not?

I love the tractor, but hate the rocking bucking bronco ride, so why not replace the seat and suspension with the Milsco V5300? I have the barely tolerable backhoe turntable seat. I've mostly used the backhoe as a trencher and have found it faster to just twist my body in the seat to manipulate the BH and move forward and repeat. Getting off and on to rotate the seat is a real time waster.
    I've read all the GTT info on swapping seats, but haven't found anything about swapping the backhoe seat.
    I've seen the new backhoe seat mounted on the newest 1025R. Maybe I could mod mine and put that rear seat on and get rid of this lousy floppy seat mount?
    Real help from those who have done this or any real improvement is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 08-27-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks
    I'm curious how this will work out. I have the flip up seat for the backhoe on my 2018. Wonder if I could put this seat on mine. Looks nice!
    1025R TLB, 2048L box blade, 60MMM w/ mulch kit & independent lift, Behlen Country PHD w/ 4ft 12" auger, KK XB 48" Tiller, 5' no name rear blade.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

1025R TLB seat swap

I'll let you know. Stay tuned. It'll take a couple of weeks measuring and reassuring myself before spending the money, but this lousy ride WILL be fixed.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    I love the tractor, but hate the rocking bucking bronco ride, so why not replace the seat and suspension with the Milsco V5300? I have the barely tolerable backhoe turntable seat. I've mostly used the backhoe as a trencher and have found it faster to just twist my body in the seat to manipulate the BH and move forward and repeat. Getting off and on to rotate the seat is a real time waster.
    I've read all the GTT info on swapping seats, but haven't found anything about swapping the backhoe seat.
    I've seen the new backhoe seat mounted on the newest 1025R. Maybe I could mod mine and put that rear seat on and get rid of this lousy floppy seat mount?
    Real help from those who have done this or any real improvement is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I hear you loud and clear! That swivel seat is junk IMO. Like I've said in a post long (years) ago, it looks impressive, but doesn't work well and is a break just waiting to happen with all of that side to side slop. If I recall correctly, Milsco is the supplier to John Deere and that's why the seat you looked at looks good. It looks just like the suspension seat that comes on the X700 series that is a direct bolt up to the 1026R when you use the correct seat base. I happened to like the John Deere yellow seat so I sprung for the genuine X700 premium seat and tried it on my 1026R. While it was infinitely better than my stock 1026R seat, it still did not provide the comfort level I wanted on my rough riding 3 acres and why my last seat (seat with suspension from a 4000 series tractor) is the winner and will stay with me. In fact, I just purchased a new 2025R and I'm going to put it's suspension seat on my 1026R and transfer my 4000 series seat on the 2025R.

I'm not sure what you found in your search but here is what I did.

The first photo shows a stock 1026R suspension on the left and the base for the X700 series rigid base on the right. They are direct bolt ups.
    The second photo shows the stock 1026R seat on the left and the X700 series on the right. It looks just like the Milsco seat you like.
    Third photo shows the X700 series on my tractor with an independent backhoe seat that I designed and fabricated.
    Fourth photos shows the same setup. It was a good setup for me and worked fine until I opted for the 4000 series seat and then the independent backhoe seat would not work any more (because of an interference) and I had to make the 4000 series seat swivel 180 degrees and I used it for my backhoe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-05-31 08.15.30.jpg   2013-05-31 07.50.12.jpg   2001-12-31 23.00.00-12.jpg   photo 1.jpg  
    Last edited by jimfrits; 08-28-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    2025R Gen II, 260B Backhoe, D120 Loader, 60" deck
    X754 All Wheel Steer with 60" deck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Milsco vs 4000 series seat

Jim- I read all your earlier posts. Thanks for the recent clarifications. I went to the JD dealer and their only 4000 series tractor had a seat with some rubber bumpers under it. Exactly which seat or base did you settle on? (No pun intended). I like the yellow seat better than a hotter black one, but I'll suffer with it if the Milsco is that much cheaper. BTW, the Milsco is available in gray for a bit more money and still much less than JD. Best prices I've seen on seats are at the Seat Warehouse.

I'm interested in how you got 180 degrees of swivel. I'm OK with that for my bachoe or with your neat 2 seat arrangement. It looks great.

QUOTE=jimfrits;3076488]I hear you loud and clear! That swivel seat is junk IMO. Like I've said in a post long (years) ago, it looks impressive, but doesn't work well and is a break just waiting to happen with all of that side to side slop. If I recall correctly, Milsco is the supplier to John Deere and that's why the seat you looked at looks good. It looks just like the suspension seat that comes on the X700 series that is a direct bolt up to the 1026R when you use the correct seat base. I happened to like the John Deere yellow seat so I sprung for the genuine X700 premium seat and tried it on my 1026R. While it was infinitely better than my stock 1026R seat, it still did not provide the comfort level I wanted on my rough riding 3 acres and why my last seat (seat with suspension from a 4000 series tractor) is the winner and will stay with me. In fact, I just purchased a new 2025R and I'm going to put it's suspension seat on my 1026R and transfer my 4000 series seat on the 2025R.

I'm not sure what you found in your search but here is what I did.

The first photo shows a stock 1026R suspension on the left and the base for the X700 series rigid base on the right. They are direct bolt ups.
    The second photo shows the stock 1026R seat on the left and the X700 series on the right. It looks just like the Milsco seat you like.
    Third photo shows the X700 series on my tractor with an independent backhoe seat that I designed and fabricated.
    Fourth photos shows the same setup. It was a good setup for me and worked fine until I opted for the 4000 series seat and then the independent backhoe seat would not work any more (because of an interference) and I had to make the 4000 series seat swivel 180 degrees and I used it for my backhoe.[/QUOTE]

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    Jim- I read all your earlier posts. Thanks for the recent clarifications. I went to the JD dealer and their only 4000 series tractor had a seat with some rubber bumpers under it. Exactly which seat or base did you settle on? (No pun intended). I like the yellow seat better than a hotter black one, but I'll suffer with it if the Milsco is that much cheaper. BTW, the Milsco is available in gray for a bit more money and still much less than JD. Best prices I've seen on seats are at the Seat Warehouse.

I'm interested in how you got 180 degrees of swivel. I'm OK with that for my bachoe or with your neat 2 seat arrangement. It looks great.
    The John Deere part number for the 4000 series suspension seat is BLV10401. The price I paid was exactly $825 in June 2015. That is the complete assembly which means both the seat and the suspension. I checked the price yesterday on John Deere Parts site and the price is now $829. Just as a comparison I checked the price for the base and seat for the new generation 2025R and it was over $900. And it is much less capable. Yes it is expensive but worth it IMO. I've spent 519 hours on my tractor during the time I've had it and my back thanks me. Last week when I was looking at the new 2025R at the local dealer I test drove one and went over some grassy area they had on site and my back was jarred to sharp pains. I was really disappointed because John Deere is touting the new premium seats with a more capable suspension and the additional 2" of seat cushion. That's when I made the decision to keep the 4000 series seat.

The 4000 series seat that I purchased comes as a seat with a capability of rotating 15 degrees to the left or right. The way I made it rotate 180 degrees was to remove and replace the two top plates with a set that I had plasma cut from a local metal working business that looks a lot like the stock plates, but with a much larger swivel for more strength and stability. That is, the stock swivel was the approximately 3/8" bolt versus my swivel which I made on my lathe and is approximately 6" diameter.

When I swivel the 4000 series the front edge of the seat (as it faces to the rear) is about 2-1/2" in front of the cross member that runs between the ROPS which means that it doesn't sit back as far as the stock John Deere swivel did. That is because of the placement of the suspension base. I could, if I wanted to improve that, reposition the the base toward the rear, but there is a limit to how far back I can move the base due to the 3 point arms coming up and hitting the rear of the base. I think I could move it another 1-1/2", but it's just not worth the effort because the seat works fine for me when I use the backhoe. Since it is a suspension base it will move downward when you sit on it and if that is a problem when using the backhoe you just have to adjust the spring tension so it takes more weight to move it. These may seem like large problems, but they just aren't. I'm 6' tall and 212 lbs and it works for me.

Here is something to think about. My independent seat conversion works very well but when you have the front seat tilted forward when using the backhoe it makes if very difficult to reach the throttle. With the 4000 series seat I can still reach the throttle easily. But now John Deere factory backhoe setup has that same problem with the new backhoes with their independent seat. I guess they feel that the independent seat is better even with the added difficulty of reaching the throttle.

Here's another thought. Right now there is a 4000 series suspension base on Ebay for $179. It's exactly like mine except it lacks the back and forth adjustment slides (which you would have to purchase) and the seat base plates. Ebay has a lot of items which will work. Do a search for John Deere LVA19725 and it should come up.
    Last edited by jimfrits; 08-29-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are some further clarifications.

Photo 1 shows the base mounting. I looked at it again this morning and feel that if I could raise the base an additional inch I could move the base back about 2", maybe more.
    Photo 2 shows the position of the seat in relation to the cross member I mentioned.
    Photo 3 shows the large swivel that I made to fit in the new plates that I had the local metal shop plasma cut for me. The top flange you see in the photo screws into a ring that is mounted to the bottom plate just under the plate visible in the photo. If you look closely you can see four 1/8" set screws that are there to prevent the top flange from unscrewing when you rotate the seat.

I got into the seat again this morning to re-evaluate the position of the operator in relation to the backhole controls and found it to be a comfortable fit for my reach. My back is not against the seat but still very comfortable for me. If I move the seat back that 2" or so I think my back would be against the seatback.

Oh, and I measured the up and down range of the seat and it's 4.5", not the "at least 5"" that I claimed. Oops!

One more thing. I have the seat all the way back when I'm operating the tractor for my height. It will move a lot further forward for someone shorter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension base 1.jpg   Suspension base 2.jpg   Suspension base 3.jpg  
    Last edited by jimfrits; 08-29-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    SulleyBear and DanW like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks

Wow

Thanks, that seat really looks good. It looks like the answer to a lot of back problems.
    jimfrits likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    Nice work - when you had the x700 seat on the 1026R, did you reuse the original 1026R suspension base or the x700 rigid base?

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JW 4x4 View Post
    Nice work - when you had the x700 seat on the 1026R, did you reuse the original 1026R suspension base or the x700 rigid base?

Sorry for my slow reply until now. I just saw your post.

I used the rigid base because the X700 seat had its own suspension built in.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast