Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Transmission oil change

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks

Transmission oil change

On a 1025R can you just change the transmission filter without draining all the transmission fluid or do you loose a lot of transmission fluid thru the filter housing when you take it off?
    Thanks!
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Does the manual mention a service with just a filter change?
    Just wondering about why you might want to change the filter but not the hydraulic fluid too.

Id guess you could do it, and would lose some fluid, but certainly not all of it.
    Even if it would all leak out if left off, if you are quick, you can swap filters fast enough to avoid much loss. No guarantee it wont be messy though.
    Tomfive, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    If you insist on changing the filter without changing fluid simply place a CLEAN drain pan under the filter to catch the oil that leaks out. Then pour the oil back in.
    chex313 and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Be sure before starting to unscrew the old filter that you have a clear path to get it around any interfering tractor parts, and plan how you'll put the old filter down quickly and get the new one into position and threaded correctly. The MMM supports can require a turn or repositioning of the filter on the way out and in. And, the old filter will become slippery as fluid leaks on your hand, and that slipperiness will transfer to the new filter.

Oh, clean dirt and oil from around the old filter before you start to remove it. You won't have a break to clean up the area after you start unscrewing it.

Have fun. And be sure the fluid isn't too hot before it starts to run down your arm to your elbow.
    Tomfive, keane, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you insist on changing the filter without changing fluid simply place a CLEAN drain pan under the filter to catch the oil that leaks out. Then pour the oil back in.
    It is still likely that you'll have some dirt or other foreign matter dislodge from the bottom side of the tractor and fall into the drain pan. Whenever I re-utilize a drained fluid, I always use a paper funnel filter insert (typically used in auto refinishing to filter paint) when refilling. They are very reasonable at Harbor Freight and they stock two different meshes.
    Tomfive, Ray_PA, keane and 1 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone that helps
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Rule of thumb: If it comes out, it doesn't go back in.

Hydro fluid is cheap. A pump is not. If a filter is worth replacing, so is the entire fluid.

Good luck!
    Tomfive, chex313, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    If the filter's purpose is to catch debris contained in the fluid, I am having trouble trying to determine why one would want to change the filter but not the fluid.........If the fluid has enough "contamination" or "dirt" or whatever one wants to call it to warrant a filter change, it would seem a fluid change would also be advised.

I suppose you could damage the filter housing in some way perhaps by having an object strike the filter, which in that case, it would be wise to immediately change it so it's function isn't impaired. But I would also be concerned that any type of impact or damage to a filter could cause it to dislodge trapped contaminants, which would lead me back to also wanting all new fluid.

In any event, I wouldn't consider changing the filter and not the fluid as having met a suggested service interval. The other issue is it's going to be difficult to determine how much fluid is lost in the process and will need to be replaced unless you measure the fluid lost. While hopefully much of the fluid will end up in the drain pan, there will also be some which doesn't. Definitely wear those clear safety goggles which tightly fit your face if you undertake this approach as you have to get under the tractor to be able to see what you are doing and with the filter above the drain plug, you are likely to be wearing some of the fluid by time you are done.

The way the dipstick works on many of these machines, when refilling the fluid, nothing is showing on the dipstick and all of a sudden, its full. As always, when refilling, proceed slowly to make sure you don't overfill.
    PJR832 likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    If the filter's purpose is to catch debris contained in the fluid, I am having trouble trying to determine why one would want to change the filter but not the fluid.........If the fluid has enough "contamination" or "dirt" or whatever one wants to call it to warrant a filter change, it would seem a fluid change would also be advised.

I suppose you could damage the filter housing in some way perhaps by having an object strike the filter, which in that case, it would be wise to immediately change it so it's function isn't impaired. But I would also be concerned that any type of impact or damage to a filter could cause it to dislodge trapped contaminants, which would lead me back to also wanting all new fluid.

In any event, I wouldn't consider changing the filter and not the fluid as having met a suggested service interval. The other issue is it's going to be difficult to determine how much fluid is lost in the process and will need to be replaced unless you measure the fluid lost. While hopefully much of the fluid will end up in the drain pan, there will also be some which doesn't. Definitely wear those clear safety goggles which tightly fit your face if you undertake this approach as you have to get under the tractor to be able to see what you are doing and with the filter above the drain plug, you are likely to be wearing some of the fluid by time you are done.

The way the dipstick works on many of these machines, when refilling the fluid, nothing is showing on the dipstick and all of a sudden, its full. As always, when refilling, proceed slowly to make sure you don't overfill.

That's when those five gallon pails with the hand pump on top come in really handy. One "pump" is roughly equal to half a cup. Very easy to be precise.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I'm not a hydraulic expert but it seems that changing the hydraulic filter a couple times without changing the fluid is not uncommon. Like you mention above, the filter collects debris from the oil. So naturally the filter will continue to get dirty while the oil will stay perfectly clean. Change the filter and now you have a clean filter and clean oil. The only exception would be if the oil has been subjected to excessive heat which can cause it to degrade.

A perfect example of this are the new 2-series tractors. They have a 1200 hr (3 year) hydraulic oil change interval but you are still supposed to change the hydraulic filter and suction filter every 400 hrs.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast