Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 1025R - Mowing the lawn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks

1025R - Mowing the lawn

Well.........

My first impression upon sitting on a 1025R was that it was too big to use to mow my lawn. Probably should have listened to myself - I have a few places I really cannot get it in to and unless I am super careful the tractor just rips the sh*t out of my lawn. I have a 54" MMM and R4 tires.

First problem was the ROPS - the top portion just had to come off. It was just way too destructive to my trees and I am unwilling to trim trees to accommodate a mower - they provide privacy from a fairly busy road. The way the ROPS is designed for these tractors is disappointing at best. It gathers, traps, and snaps branches as you move forward. Really, I think the way they gather tree limbs behind and then towards my head is more of a safety issue than the possibility of rolling on fairly flat ground is. Pulling down a prized tree was a serious safety issue when my wife found out about it. I do not know what the people who designed the way ROPS "folds down" were thinking. It doesn't fold down. It is attached in a destructive and somewhat dangerous position, or it flops around - even worse if the 3 point hitch is in place. So it is gone. Pretty sure that's not what they had in mind(?).

Curiosities:

Turf Tires - I have read here in a number of posts that turf tires really won't help much over the R4 tires that are installed. I find this difficult to get my head around. If I accelerate at all I have an R4 pattern in my grass - if I turn too sharply I have an R4 pattern in my grass - and the grass in these patterns eventually dies. Practice will help with that - but over the course of a few mows I'm already getting ruts in the lawn due to the sheer weight of the tractor and that is difficult to solve. It's ugly. I live in a situation where my lawn is generally wet to very wet, and there is really nothing I can do about that.

Wheel Weights - 50# per side - dealer told me removing and installing the wheel weights is a serious PITA and removing them will make little/no difference. Still, 100 pounds is a 100 more pounds on the lawn....makes me wonder.

So - it is too late to look back now - and don't get me wrong - I LOVE the other things I can do with the tractor, but it is disappointing that it doesn't do the primary job I bought it for very well. Wah.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Doesn't Deere have a 30 day return on new tractors?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    If you don't have a FEL (you don't say), why do you need wheel weights? If you do have a FEL and don't use it often, take it and the wheel weights off when you are mowing. Honestly, 100# on the rear axle is not enough to safely use a FEL anyway with the small tractors.

Al

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    If you don't have a FEL (you don't say), why do you need wheel weights? If you do have a FEL and don't use it often, take it and the wheel weights off when you are mowing. Honestly, 100# on the rear axle is not enough to safely use a FEL anyway with the small tractors.

Al
    Good point. I do have a FEL and a backhoe - when one is on the other generally is as well. If anything I have noticed that the front end seems too lightly loaded at times and it causes me issues with turning - so the wheel weights are probably most useful when I use it to plow - and the lawn isn't getting mowed in the winter.

I think I'll take them off. Can't hurt.
    Levi and mark02tj like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    Well......... If I accelerate at all I have an R4 pattern in my grass - if I turn too sharply I have an R4 pattern in my grass - and the grass in these patterns eventually dies. Practice will help with that - but over the course of a few mows I'm already getting ruts in the lawn due to the sheer weight of the tractor and that is difficult to solve.
    Make sure when you mow that you are not in MFWD (4 wheel drive). Also, others have had a problem with the differential lock being engaged full time(usually cured by adjusting the brakes).
    Levi, dadtoandrew and grahamk like this.
    1025r, H120, 54" snowblower, 60D MMM, 48" Woods BB, KK subsoiler & 48" brush hog, Curtis cab

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    I agree about the ROPS. Stupid design. And why do they have to be so tall???
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JEKO56 View Post
    I agree about the ROPS. Stupid design. And why do they have to be so tall???

Yes even folded the stupid thing sticks up too high and catches tree branches. One can move oneís self to clear trees but those posts sticking up ....donít. The folding hinge s/b another 8 inches lower. And the total roll bar a foot shorter.

Simple solution saws all and ten minutes fixed. donít say this too loud it may offend the pro roll bar crowd.
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post
    If anything I have noticed that the front end seems too lightly loaded at times and it causes me issues with turning - so the wheel weights are probably most useful when I use it to plow - and the lawn isn't getting mowed in the winter.
    Wheel weights won't do anything to change the loading on the front end.

Make sure you are not in 4x4 and that the diff lock is not engaged.
    Levi and wentonbrown like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genesusie View Post
    Yes even folded the stupid thing sticks up too high and catches tree branches. One can move oneís self to clear trees but those posts sticking up ....donít. The folding hinge s/b another 8 inches lower. And the total roll bar a foot shorter.

Simple solution saws all and ten minutes fixed. donít say this too loud it may offend the pro roll bar crowd.
    I am completely in favor of modifying equipment to suit your needs, but be sure you understand the consequences. For example, the ability to trade it in or resale value.
    Kennyd, Levi, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    Iíll buy wheel weights if you decide to never use them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Levi likes this.
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast