Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Leaning towards dumping the 425 for a 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks

Leaning towards dumping the 425 for a 1025R

I have a 425 that I bought (used obviously) when I moved here. I anticipated getting a loader for it for chores around the yard. However, I've come to realize something... by the time I buy the loader, weights, and other things needed to be completely functional, what I have is a 25yr old lawn mower with lots of expensive parts on it, with very limited capabilities. THen I look at all the projects I want to do around the yard and it's just not going to cut it. I need something bigger, and I have been drooling over the 1025R for a year now.

First I looked on craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some used equipment websites. The going rate for a 1 to 5 year old 1025R is only marginally cheaper than new. These things must depreciate like Jeeps... very little. The dealers are all offering 0% financing, free money. So it would actually be foolish to buy a used one with that kind of deal going. Am I missing anything here?

So here's what I want in 1025R:
    • Loader w/ bucket
    • 60" MMM
    • R4 tires
    • Pine rake
    • Back blade
    • Snow pusher (eventually anyway)

I'm guessing the rake, back blade, and pusher aren't something included in 0% financing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    I was under the impression everything was under the 0% but can’t say for sure. Take it from a person who couldn’t afford the backhoe....buy the backhoe. That would give you a very capable machine. Good investment over a bunch of attachments for an old tractor and yes used is not worth it unless you have the scratch laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    I have a 425 that I bought (used obviously) when I moved here. I anticipated getting a loader for it for chores around the yard. However, I've come to realize something... by the time I buy the loader, weights, and other things needed to be completely functional, what I have is a 25yr old lawn mower with lots of expensive parts on it, with very limited capabilities. THen I look at all the projects I want to do around the yard and it's just not going to cut it. I need something bigger, and I have been drooling over the 1025R for a year now.

First I looked on craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some used equipment websites. The going rate for a 1 to 5 year old 1025R is only marginally cheaper than new. These things must depreciate like Jeeps... very little. The dealers are all offering 0% financing, free money. So it would actually be foolish to buy a used one with that kind of deal going. Am I missing anything here?

So here's what I want in 1025R:
    • Loader w/ bucket
    • 60" MMM
    • R4 tires
    • Pine rake
    • Back blade
    • Snow pusher (eventually anyway)

I'm guessing the rake, back blade, and pusher aren't something included in 0% financing?
    Any Deere/Frontier attachments you buy at the time of purchase of tractor should be included in 0% deal.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    I went from a pair of 455s to a pair of 1025Rs. I was originally going to buy a used x749. However, like yourself, I found by the time I added everything on to it...assuming I could find it all, I was less than $2000 away from a comparable equipped 1025R.

You will pay more for the 1025R with the 0% than if you cashed out. I financed one and paid cash for the other. Even with the price difference, the 0% was a good deal. You can roll Frontier implements into the 0%.

Be sure to upgrade to the 53" bucket for the FEL. Better yet, checkout the 4 in 1 bucket that Frontier just announced.

If you ever think there is a backhoe in your future, it is far more cost effective to purchase the factory built tractor loader backhoe (FTLB) than to add it on later.

The R4s are best for dirt work. The R3 turf tires are easier on the lawn and better in snow.

You'll require rear ballast weight when utilizing the FEL. There are a number of ways to get there, depending on what fits your application and wallet the best. I went with the Heavy Hitch dual row weight bar/receiver and loaded it with 16*42# suitcase weights. It is the most expensive method, but does get the weight aft of the rear axle, which transfers weight from the front axle. The weights can be utilized for front ballast for rear mounted implements that require it, such as a tiller or landscape rake. You can roll the suitcase weights into the 0%, also.
    Last edited by martincom; 09-01-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    BigJim55 and keane like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    You should have no problem rolling your implements into the 0% financing as long as you buy them at the same time you buy the tractor.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 08:39 AM
    Thanks
    Attachments are included in the 0% with the tractor. I was able to get 0% on some used stuff also

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Got frontier box blade, MMM and brush cutter 0%. Didn't think I needed a backhoe, and I really still don't. But really think it'd be cool. But, with what I've got, I think I can do most all of what I need...cause the one main trench I wanna dig now a strapping 16 yr old son and my bucket with a soon to be purchased toothbar can handle

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048
    BigJim55 and goat704! like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Oh dear. Attachments at 0% too? This could make for a very crowded shed and garage! I had been planning to scour craigslist and such for a back blade, rake, etc. But if they can all just magically appear new with the tractor, perhaps that is the way to go.

That 4-in-1 bucket... sexy. Does it work just as good as a bucket as the normal bucket does? Basically what I'm getting at is do I lose anything with it (besides money)? I presume it needs some kind of 3rd function control for the jaws?

I think I would prefer suitcase weights so I can freely move them between the front and back depending on what I'm doing. As opposed to a ballast box. How much weight should I plan for?

For snow, I'm a little torn between a pusher and a plow. I have a gravel driveway that goes up hill. Quick hitch plow, loader plow, or snow pusher on the loader? Or how is the 4-in-1 with snow?

The backhoe, I just can't even think of a good excuse to buy it. Other than looking badass.
    Last edited by Pedals2Paddles; 09-01-2018 at 11:04 PM.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    Here is the link to the discussion of the 4 in 1 bucket. It is so new I don't think any one has one yet. So no reviews as to how it functions.

I'd go (and did) with the dual row weight/receiver from Heavy Hitch. If you load it with all 16*42" suitcase weights, you're pretty much at the lift rating of the 3-point. Personally, I'd go with all 16 as it spares your front axle when doing loader work and the weight is a traction plus moving snow. If you don't want to spend that much, you can start with whatever you want. You can always add more later. Site supporter/administrator Kenny authored a post on rear ballast that includes some charts from JD on the recommended minimums. Here is the link:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-you-need.html

The joystick hydraulics have the "float" feature, so you don't have to be concerned about "digging in" as does the 3-point by design. I'd probably prefer a front Quick Hitch mounted plow to a FEL mounted plow. So that would drive the price up somewhat. I've never had either, so I'd seek the wisdom of others in this regard.

I couldn't think of a good reason to purchase the backhoe, either. However, I was coming to the realization at the age of 60, the #2 shovel and I just don't dance together as well as we once did. The need did find me soon enough when I had to correct yet another error of the septic system installer. It sure made short work of that.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    Oh dear. Attachments at 0% too? This could make for a very crowded shed and garage!
    I failed to include an additional shed in my budgeting for a 1025r - it is being delivered next Friday.

I went with the quick attach plow because if you mount it to the loader frame you lose left/right hydraulics and in my situation I need to move left/right a lot.

Then I went to the artillian website and realized I could "have it all!" once I had their fork frame, hydraulic diverter, and quick attach for the plow. Don't go to that website unless you want to throw money around. ;-)
    Kennyd and Jep like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast