Advice on front weight specifically for 1025R using spreader, please.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Advice on front weight specifically for 1025R using spreader, please.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

Advice on front weight specifically for 1025R using spreader, please.

I am getting ready to spread 2 tons of pelletized lime. I have a 1025R, and will be using a Frontier SS1067B broascast spreader on my imatch hitch. I have removed my FELand the MMM. I have a Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, and I have 8- 42 lb weights available to use. The broadcast spreader holds 670 pounds. My tires are not fluid filled, and do not have wheel weights. I need advice about how much front weight to use.

To me the confusing part is that I will be starting with around 600 pounds of lime in the hopper, but as I spread the lime, the hopper weight will decrease to zero.

So, do I use front weights based on the full hopper, the empty hopper, or somewhere in the middle? And how much weight?

Thanks for any advice, or your own experience.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 09-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Traction likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    If it were me Iíd load the rack right up. Youíll need it with the hopper full (actually youíd want more, but use what you have) and it wonít hurt anything with an empty hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kennyd, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc†(09-02-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    I'd probably rack it up with all your suitcase weights too. If the front end feels light with the hopper full, add more weight, or put your FEL back on.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc†(09-02-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 08:39 AM
    Thanks
    Considering a king Kutter XB tiller is like 400lbs you be good with 8 weights on the front.
    Last edited by Zmueller; 09-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zmueller For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc†(09-02-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Another way to look at it - if you only have room for 8 weights and it would be inconvenient to have your loader on, and you feel you donít have enough weight, you can always put less than 600# in the hopper. There is nothing saying you have to fill it up. A few more trips maybe but better to be safe.

Iím just glad to see anyone think ahead about ballast weather it be front or rear.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Kind of reading between the lines here, but I get the impression that ideally I need the same amount of added weight in the front as the weight of the spreader and its contents on the back.

The weight bracket instructions say to remove the loader, so I don't know whether it's possible to run with both loader and the front weight bracket and weights. I suppose I could go to larger weights.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if I put too much weight on the front, and get near the end of the hopper contents, I'd have a situation similar to using a FEL without enough rear ballast.

It seems that the Frontier SS1067B spreader is overly large for the capabilities of the 1025R. I do understand that I don't need to fill the hopper completely, though. Until now, my spreading per acre of seed and fertilizer has always been in the 2/3 full hopper range. That's why I was wondering how much front weight for a full hopper. The steering feels really light with the 8 weights and less than a full spreader.
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Doc, Iíll give you an example. With my 580 lb tiller 8 42# weights is simply not enough, thatís why I also have a rack of 70# weights, those do the trick. However, if you are on flat ground a little lighter in the front wouldnít bother me. Yes you can have the OEM bolt on weight bracket on with the FEL, no you cannot have any weights on it.

Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    I'd mount up all the suitcase weights you have. If you're headed up a grade with spreader, you'll need all the weight you can get.

I have the KK poly spreader and no weights. I ALWAYS spread with the loader attached and frequently I'll toss another 300# to 400# (50# bags) of fertilizer in the loader not for weight but to get more spread time before running back to the garage. With the hopper full and no additional bags in the loader, it feels light. Spread the flats before the slopes.
    Tomfive, BigJim55, Jeff B and 2 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks
    I have a similar issue with my 600# Behlen Country tiller hanging off the back of my quick hitch.
    I leave the FEL on and I throw 5 cinder blocks in the bucket.
    Unless you are tight for space I would just leave the FEL on to use the spreader.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Doc, Iíll give you an example. With my 580 lb tiller 8 42# weights is simply not enough, thatís why I also have a rack of 70# weights, those do the trick. However, if you are on flat ground a little lighter in the front wouldnít bother me. Yes you can have the OEM bolt on weight bracket on with the FEL, no you cannot have any weights on it.

TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    To add on more comparison, if you hang a 600 lb. ballast box on the I-match without anything on the front end, you can steer very easily, if you know what I mean. I would never want to go up too steep of a hill with this situation.

So, if the front wheels are touching the ground with 600 lbs. on the I match but not really loaded against the ground, any weight that you hang on the Heavy Hitch front weight bar will be added directly to the front wheels plus some leverage since the weights are hanging in front the the front axle.

So, if you add 8 - 42 lb. suitcase weights to the front weight bar, then you will be loading an additional 336 lb. plus the leverage factor to the front axle.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast