Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 3 point hitch stability

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks

Question 3 point hitch stability

I have a 1023E. I have an I match and an attachment for a 2" ball. I have an arena drag that is rather heavy. The drag has a handle that should raise it onto its wheels so it can be transported. But when I try to raise it , the 3 point hitch goes up by itself. I am assuming the drag is too heavy, though it is made for small tractors and ATV. Any ideal on how to keep the hitch from moving?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2339.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    A couple ideas....

Are you putting the 3pt adjustment lever (or is it moving) all the way back down after you “set” it to the height you want?

Have you tried adjusting the rate of trip lever for the 3 pt to a point where it will hold the 3pt at the level you wanted?

Does it drop with other items on it? Perhaps your 3pt is internally bypassing and needs to be serviced?
    Levi likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 2,552 Posts
    As you are finding out, there is no down pressure on the 3PH, so you can try to add weight to it-or run a chain from where the top link connects down to the hitch plate (the one under the PTO with the hole in it).

Levi, 56Nine and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

pachilly (09-05-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pachilly View Post
    Any ideal on how to keep the hitch from moving?
    Consider a similar technique as the King Kutter folks on their 3pt trailer mover. On the tractor side of the hitch, the black chain and bracket are designed to be bolted to the tractor hitch plate. A small clevis in the hitch and a short piece of chain attached to your hitch would keep you rolling. I'm sure you can find the right place to attach it or weld a small tab on the tractor side like in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TM-GN.jpg  
    Kennyd, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

pachilly (09-05-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    A couple ideas....

Are you putting the 3pt adjustment lever (or is it moving) all the way back down after you “set” it to the height you want?

Have you tried adjusting the rate of trip lever for the 3 pt to a point where it will hold the 3pt at the level you wanted?

Does it drop with other items on it? Perhaps your 3pt is internally bypassing and needs to be serviced?
    I have had lighter things on it and it worked fine. No matter where I set the 3PH it will raise with adjustment of the arena drag. I think the poster below you is correct, there is no downward weight. Thanks
    PJR832 likes this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pachilly View Post
    I have had lighter things on it and it worked fine. No matter where I set the 3PH it will raise with adjustment of the arena drag. I think the poster below you is correct, there is no downward weight. Thanks
    The problem is not the weight of an implement, when you set the wheels for transport it shift the center of gravity taking the weight off the hitch.
    Heavy Hitch sells a weight bracket with a receiver that would solve your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, keane and RetiredDoc like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

pachilly (09-06-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    The problem is not the weight of an implement, when you set the wheels for transport it shift the center of gravity taking the weight off the hitch.
    Heavy Hitch sells a weight bracket with a receiver that would solve your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The advantage of weight bearing hitch is you still have the lift range of your 3pt. The chain method I posted above limits your hitch travel for implement use, but when the time comes that you want/need to lift higher, you can't until you detach the chain. It's not difficult, but something to keep in mind.

Nice to have options.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

pachilly (09-06-2018)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Good topic. I'm learning!!
    56Nine likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Like others have said, you need to weight your hitch. Weld a piece of flat bar across the hitch you have on the side facing the iMatch and hang suitcase weights on it until your problem goes away. Make sure before you weld you don't block your ability to hook it up.
    PJR832 likes this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Or, just forget about using the hitch ball on your imatch.

Go to Heavy Hitch and spend $99 on their rear receiver hitch plate. It's an, easy, direct bolt-on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hh.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	646854

https://heavyhitch.com/product/rear-...ries-tractors/

I use mine for my chain harrow, arena drag, and my manure spreader. Here's a picture taken today with the manure spreader on the Heavy Hitch receiver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manure.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	646856

Also, it will make for a shorter total package, and you'll be better able to manuever to drag closer to the corners. I drag a dressage arena with a low 12 inch wall, so I can drag it with the FEL and bucket still on; just raise them enough to clear the wall.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 09-05-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Kennyd, Levi, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

pachilly (09-06-2018)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast