Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Maintenance and tools to keep around for 1026r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 AM
    Thanks

Maintenance and tools to keep around for 1026r

So what kind of things should I keep in the garage for regular expected (or somewhat unexpected) maintenance and repairs on my new-to-me 1026R? (240hrs, 60D mulcher, H120, bucket, forks, RB5060 back blade)

It's supposed to rain all week, so I won't be going out to play with the tractor. If I don't keep myself busy this week while it's raining, I'm going to end up just sitting on the seat staring at the lights blinking. Might as well do some maintenance on it instead. I've ordered grease and a grease gun coming tomorrow. So I plan to grease everything there is to grease in the next few days. I'm also going to pick up the home maintenance kit from the dealer on the way home Monday to change the oil and filters. Going to take the mower off, clean it, get the blades sharpened, etc. Any other suggestions? Tire slime? Hydo oil/filter??

I have a pretty decent collection of hand and air tools in the garage. But nothing tractor specific. Any specific tools I should look at keeping on hand?
    Last edited by Pedals2Paddles; 09-08-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Levi, blue87fj60 and DanSpence like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have everything you need.
    Only thing I would suggest is a battery maintainer like a Battery Tender jr. $25 is cheap insurance to know you have a good charge when you go to start it after sitting for a while.
    AdamT1222, tareece and DanSpence like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Sounds like you have everything you need.
    Only thing I would suggest is a battery maintainer like a Battery Tender jr. $25 is cheap insurance to know you have a good charge when you go to start it after sitting for a while.
    Definitely. It's going to be getting used every few days through the fall. But it's on the to-do list, especially for over the winter.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    I would change the hydro oil in the trans and front axle in addition, since it's new to you, just to be sure. One thing I found that helps to do both and get under the tractor...I used 4x6x30" pieces of wood as ramps instead of using jack stands. The extra 3-1/2" lift was enough for me to get a large kitty litter pan under the trans to drain the oil. You need something big, as the trans hold about 3-1/2 gallons. The 4x6's also allowed me to use coffee cans for draining the front axle hubs. When I did my H-oil change, I used a little over 4 gallons. IIRC, I used 14 qts in the trans and 3?? in the front axle. Save yourself a trip and get a quart or 2 extra.
    North585, Levi, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    I would change the hydro oil in the trans and front axle in addition, since it's new to you, just to be sure. One thing I found that helps to do both and get under the tractor...I used 4x6x30" pieces of wood as ramps instead of using jack stands. The extra 3-1/2" lift was enough for me to get a large kitty litter pan under the trans to drain the oil. You need something big, as the trans hold about 3-1/2 gallons. The 4x6's also allowed me to use coffee cans for draining the front axle hubs. When I did my H-oil change, I used a little over 4 gallons. IIRC, I used 14 qts in the trans and 3?? in the front axle. Save yourself a trip and get a quart or 2 extra.
    Better yet, buy the Low Vis in the 5 gallon containers as the empty containers are great for using for storing your old oil and fluids for recycling.....

(Hey Kyle, I haven't "spoken to you" in awhile. Hope all is well with you. It messes our weekend up when NASCAR can't do anything due to the rain so you can't root on the #18.... Stay Well, and Go #78..... Truex. Sounds like he might not have a ride next year now, due to 5 hour energy bailing out of the sport, as well.....)

My dealer runs special in February and August of each year where they put their fluid and filters on sale. I always pick up the next two changes of filters and at least 5 gallons of Hydro oil then. I think the 5 gallon on hydro low viscosity fluid on sale brings the price near $10 per gallon, which is cheaper than the per gallon price by quite a margin.....

As far as things I keep on hand for my tractor they include

Engine and Hydro Oil Filters
    Fuel Filters (both filters, several of the under floor board filter)
    Extra seat switch (when they go bad, they are a headache so I keep a spare just in case)
    Inner and Outer Air filters

These are just ideas, I am not recommending you keep all of this stuff.........

Here are pictures of my spare parts boxes I keep for things which I have needed over the years for my 455 and now for my 1025R as well as I still have the 455....There are some Honda Generator parts mixed in as well......The 90 degree pins with the holes in them are the trip pins for the 54" front snow plow. I have broken many of those over the years. There are also some links in this kit for hooking chains or straps.

You do NOT need to keep all of these parts, as many are needed only once in a great while. But I keep them as when plowing snow, I have to really minimize down time as I have as many as 17 driveways I plow in our neighborhood. So, when something breaks, I needs to be able to replace it and return to plowing or snow removal. Much of my plowing and snow removal starts at 3am and is done by 6 am so I don't want to have to wait for the dealer to open.

This kit has rod ends in it as lots of plowing snow and carrying around front implements puts wear on the rod ends and steering rod ends. Also have the seat switch in this kit plus other springs and pins which are used on the front mounted Quick Hitch of the tractors. The springs wear out and make keeping the retention pins in difficult.

These kits have odds and ends such as spindle bearings for the 455 as well as the hydraulic covers and caps for the quick connects. I keep all of the Deere parts together so I can find them when I need them. I also keep a master link and spare drive chain for the front mounted 47" snow blower and of course, spare quick connect fittings for the hydraulics.

You will also note a spare thermostat and gasket and several other things, especially the hitch pins and items related to the front quick hitch mount and assembly with the 90 degree hydraulic fittings on the angle cylinder as ice tends to bend those over time.

There are also an extra set of 54" plow shoes, of the Heavy Duty type, in the bottom of the box under many of the items. I have lost shoes over the winter, but always find them in the spring once everything melts.... In the meantime, you need spares.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180822_184152575_TOP.jpg   IMG_20180822_184211824.jpg   IMG_20180822_184257149.jpg   IMG_20180822_184337235.jpg  
    Tomfive, RichBaxter, Levi and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    So what kind of things should I keep in the garage for regular expected (or somewhat unexpected) maintenance and repairs on my new-to-me 1026R? (240hrs, 60D mulcher, H120, bucket, forks, RB5060 back blade)

It's supposed to rain all week, so I won't be going out to play with the tractor. If I don't keep myself busy this week while it's raining, I'm going to end up just sitting on the seat staring at the lights blinking. Might as well do some maintenance on it instead. I've ordered grease and a grease gun coming tomorrow. So I plan to grease everything there is to grease in the next few days. I'm also going to pick up the home maintenance kit from the dealer on the way home Monday to change the oil and filters. Going to take the mower off, clean it, get the blades sharpened, etc. Any other suggestions? Tire slime? Hydo oil/filter??

I have a pretty decent collection of hand and air tools in the garage. But nothing tractor specific. Any specific tools I should look at keeping on hand?
    I own and use all of the specific items on this list, just FYI.

A good pair of Filter Pliers, like these are always handy.....

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-1...+filter+pliers

The grease gun locking tip makes using it so much easier. Lock and lube

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, this needle adapter for greasing the drive shaft u joints

These are the first "specific tools" which many don't seem to have and make servicing your tractor very easy. Also, this drain pan as the tractor holds a ton of fluid and this pan can catch it all without jacking up the tractor.....

Levi, kylew and DanSpence like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I spent about 40 years working on cars as a hobby, and I thought that I had a good collection of wrenches. As a car guy, 7/8-inches was my big wrench. Same for my collection of sockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1044.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	647372

But, I discovered with my 1025R and collection of implements, that a set of wrenches and sockets an order of magnitude larger were needed. These are 15/16 through 1-7/8 inches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1045.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	647374

Finally, I had both analog and digital torque wrenches, but neither of them approached the torque settings I encountered need for on the tractor. And the 1/2 inch impact wrench needed to be super-sized as well.
    Tomfive, Levi, kylew and 1 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    You got a nice little parts inventory there SB. Good idea, especially with all you do in your neighborhood. Like you say, you can't afford to have the machine down for long when you have that many drives to clean.

Yeah, I see Indy got a little wet this weekend. Rain out puts the 18 on the pole with the 4 outside. Kyle has dominated that track when he runs in clean air. We'll see how it goes tmrw. The 78 got moved to the back of the field for failing inspection 3 times. He'll have his work cut out for him, but it's a long race. Also rumor is he'll be moved into the 19 car next year. Interesting to see the developments there.

🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    No one said "Beer" yet ???
    Levi, akneppar and mcavvie like this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    I keep a rubber mallet and a small plastic scraper on the tractor at all times.

The mallet is used to politely coax various parts when re-configuring the tractor with attachments and implements. For example, it's great for moving the tines on the fork lift or seating the pin on the backhoe bucket quick-change.

The small plastic scraper is used to scrape off excess dirt clods on the buckets (FEL and backhoe) at the work site, before taking the tractor back into the garage. It amazes me how these clods can remain in place for hundreds of feet over rough ground, then fall off immediately once in the garage. You can buy one at Walmart for about a quarter in the paint department.

And don't forget ear protectors.
    Tomfive, jdforever and MN_Pete like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast