Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree315Likes

Thread: Discouraged with new 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:41 AM
    Thanks

Discouraged with new 1025R

Sorry for the long post that follows. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment.

Anybody see a bunch of problems right out of the gate with a new 1025R? Up until today all I have had time to do is tool around in the yard for a few minutes one night before putting it in the garage. It's a brand new FILB I posted about last Monday in the "what did you do today" thread. It was delivered the Friday before last with a statement of "full of fuel & ready to go" from the salesman.

Today I planned to get the backhoe & loader off, look it over, add Ken's diff lock pedal & springs, do the RIO override, put wheel weights on, & mow.

Removing the backhoe was a real experience, but it was my 1st try. I sure hope it gets smoother. The RIO override & installing Ken's products went pretty smoothly. That's where easy ended.

I started looking things over to familiarize myself & checking fluids & discovered you almost need to be double or triple jointed to get to the engine & tranny dipsticks, at least with the loader mounted. As far as I can tell, the engine is way over filled with oil, the front axle also seems to be over filled with fluid, & it was low on coolant. I also found a small rubber hose of some sort about a foot long laying on top of the battery. Speaking of which, is a tarp strap the standard battery hold down in these? That seems a bit cheesy on a $20k+ machine. Not a good look for the dealership so far in my opinion. Off to the dealer I go to spend almost $50 on fluids to make sure I have everything since it needed coolant. I let the parts guy know that I wasn't impressed. I added coolant but haven't drained any of the other fluids yet. I assume that it's a really bad idea to run it much more without doing so? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd obviously rather not take more time fixing someone else's mistakes.

Next, I went to mount my starter weight + two 50lb wheel weights on each side for extra stability on my hills. The 1st thing I noticed when I got down on the floor is that there was a nut missing from one of the bolts that holds the hitch & part of the hoe subframe. Back to the dealer to get a nut. I made sure the parts guy new I wasn't impressed. That's a strike against the factory for not putting it on & a strike against the dealership for not catching it as far as I'm concerned. After I got home I proceeded to mess with wheel weights on the right side for over 2 hours & could never get them to look right & line up so I could access the valve stem. I tried every combo I could think of & read a bunch of threads about it. No dice. I finally went over to the other side & it looks to me like the wheel centers are welded to the outsides differently. On the left side there is definitely more of an offset in timing between the valve stem & the closest square hole in the center than on the right. I'm thinking that's another ding against the factory.

Also, the deck appears to be about a 1/4" or so out of level from side to side. I can't remember if that's good enough or not. I'll have to check my manual. I know it's expected here that the dealership won't do that part right. I may just be nit-picking at this point because I'm so discouraged.

Lastly, I've seen some posts on Facebook about a change to the air cleaner because the bracket bolted to the top of the engine can crack the intake from vibration. My salesman says he can't find anything about it. I was at the dealership a couple days ago & popped the hoods on 3 new 1025R's on the lot to find that they have the new set up while the tractor I had delivered a week ago has the old style set up.

My 1st payment is due the 25th. I have put less than an hour on this thing & haven't even managed to mow my yard after screwing around trying to get it ready for 6 hours or so today. I'm about ready to tell the dealership on Monday to come get this thing & drive it where the sun don't shine. I expected a lot better for the money I paid, especially with the delivering salesman telling me it was "ready to go".

Anyone have any great advise, words of wisdom, encouragement, etc...? Am I expecting too much? Am I checking things incorrectly? Please feel free to let me have it if you more experienced guys think I'm just being a cry baby. This is my 1st foray into anything more complicated or newer than the vintage hydro gas powered garden tractors.

Thanks.
    Levi, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2018 1025R FILB (120R, 260B), 60D MMM w/ Load-N-Go, Auto connect, Premium LED light kit & guards, Block heater, Ken's bolt on hooks, seat springs, & diff lock pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Edge Tamers & Extenders, Gremlins?

1990 318, Homemade 3pt hitch, 54 Blade w/ homemade scoop, 30 Hydraulic tiller w/ homemade 3pt mount, Homemade weight brackets

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeribd View Post
    Sorry for the long post that follows. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment.

Anybody see a bunch of problems right out of the gate with a new 1025R? Up until today all I have had time to do is tool around in the yard for a few minutes one night before putting it in the garage. It's a brand new FILB I posted about last Monday in the "what did you do today" thread. It was delivered the Friday before last with a statement of "full of fuel & ready to go" from the salesman.

Today I planned to get the backhoe & loader off, look it over, add Ken's diff lock pedal & springs, do the RIO override, put wheel weights on, & mow.

Removing the backhoe was a real experience, but it was my 1st try. I sure hope it gets smoother. The RIO override & installing Ken's products went pretty smoothly. That's where easy ended.

I started looking things over to familiarize myself & checking fluids & discovered you almost need to be double or triple jointed to get to the engine & tranny dipsticks, at least with the loader mounted. As far as I can tell, the engine is way over filled with oil, the front axle also seems to be over filled with fluid, & it was low on coolant. I also found a small rubber hose of some sort about a foot long laying on top of the battery. Speaking of which, is a tarp strap the standard battery hold down in these? That seems a bit cheesy on a $20k+ machine. Not a good look for the dealership so far in my opinion. Off to the dealer I go to spend almost $50 on fluids to make sure I have everything since it needed coolant. I let the parts guy know that I wasn't impressed. I added coolant but haven't drained any of the other fluids yet. I assume that it's a really bad idea to run it much more without doing so? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd obviously rather not take more time fixing someone else's mistakes.

Next, I went to mount my starter weight + two 50lb wheel weights on each side for extra stability on my hills. The 1st thing I noticed when I got down on the floor is that there was a nut missing from one of the bolts that holds the hitch & part of the hoe subframe. Back to the dealer to get a nut. I made sure the parts guy new I wasn't impressed. That's a strike against the factory for not putting it on & a strike against the dealership for not catching it as far as I'm concerned. After I got home I proceeded to mess with wheel weights on the right side for over 2 hours & could never get them to look right & line up so I could access the valve stem. I tried every combo I could think of & read a bunch of threads about it. No dice. I finally went over to the other side & it looks to me like the wheel centers are welded to the outsides differently. On the left side there is definitely more of an offset in timing between the valve stem & the closest square hole in the center than on the right. I'm thinking that's another ding against the factory.

Also, the deck appears to be about a 1/4" or so out of level from side to side. I can't remember if that's good enough or not. I'll have to check my manual. I know it's expected here that the dealership won't do that part right. I may just be nit-picking at this point because I'm so discouraged.

Lastly, I've seen some posts on Facebook about a change to the air cleaner because the bracket bolted to the top of the engine can crack the intake from vibration. My salesman says he can't find anything about it. I was at the dealership a couple days ago & popped the hoods on 3 new 1025R's on the lot to find that they have the new set up while the tractor I had delivered a week ago has the old style set up.

My 1st payment is due the 25th. I have put less than an hour on this thing & haven't even managed to mow my yard after screwing around trying to get it ready for 6 hours or so today. I'm about ready to tell the dealership on Monday to come get this thing & drive it where the sun don't shine. I expected a lot better for the money I paid, especially with the delivering salesman telling me it was "ready to go".

Anyone have any great advise, words of wisdom, encouragement, etc...? Am I expecting too much? Am I checking things incorrectly? Please feel free to let me have it if you more experienced guys think I'm just being a cry baby. This is my 1st foray into anything more complicated or newer than the vintage hydro gas powered garden tractors.

Thanks.

First, no need to apologize, we're here to help if we can, and we certainly can understand your frustrations.

Removing the backhoe takes practice. I transferred a lot of green paint until I got the hang of it, but I did spend a few hours practicing. Then I got a cart. What I found was that I had to ignore all the videos on youtube, and follow the directions on the sticker right on the backhoe. Bottom line, yes, it takes a bit to get the hang of.

Yes tarp strap is the hold down. Simple and effective, I don't see the need for something more complicated. I can't speak to the rest in that paragraph, it sounds like poor dealer prep to me. I would have contacted my salesman and insisted that they correct the fluids, instead of you buying them.

Deck levelling will also be another dealer prep item. There is a sticky thread up top to describe how to properly install and adjust the mower. It appears most dealers do it incorrrectly, and you're probably better off doing it yourself.

My 2018 has the new style filter. Are you sure you took delivery of a 2018?

I hope you get this sorted soon. I would hold the dealer's feet to the fire. I hope they're reputable and willing to stand up like men and correct their mistakes.
    Tomfive, chex313, Levi and 9 others like this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinHEMI For This Useful Post:

Emeribd (09-15-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Well, it sounds like just about all of your issues are dealer setup issues.
    While Deere "assembles" the units, the dealer is to thoroughly check them over and finish assembling and setting everything up. This includes things like checking fluid levels and installing and properly setting up the mowing deck.

I had a few issues with my 2025R when I picked it up, but the dealer took care of all of them. Including a missing nut.
    Im certainly not paying for anything, I already paid for it once, its not my fault it was missing. Its their job, and the warrantys purpose, to make sure everything is as its supposed to be.
    They replaced my gauge cluster, a loader cylinder, that nut, and were working on a tire replacement too, but that was handled in another much better fashion. They also tracked down the correct loader mount uprights for mine as they are different than the 1025, but those were the ones on my tractor.
    Now, Im not the most patient guy ever, and have a bit of a temper, so when I first discovered a couple of these, I was a bit more than mildly annoyed. The dealer never knew that though, and I think thats why things went so smoothly with all the issues. I cant say being at least somewhat friendly when a problem crops up helps out at every dealer, but it worked in my case.

I guess what Im getting at is that there are thousands of these sold, and there will be issues now and then. It really stinks to be the guy getting stuck with them, but make your dealer make it right.
    If you paid for fluids, go talk to the service manager and have them make it right. Either reimburse you for it, or give you a credit, or service down the road. You shouldnt be spending a dime on that tractor except for fuel and accessories for at least a year. My dealer offered a quart or two of Low Vis Hy-gard when I swapped the cylinder myself (I didnt want to wait a few days for them to get it in and back to me), but I declined since I already had a case at the house.
    They also should have offered to show you how to disconnect and reconnect the backhoe and loader. I personally told my dealer not to worry about it, as Id seen plenty of videos, and wanted to give it a go myself. Incidentally, it took me a bit the first time taking it off and putting it back on, but now its easy as pie. A proper dolly for the backhoe makes it even easier.

Dealers learn from this stuff too. In my case, they had no clue the loader uprights were different.
    They also didnt look at tires before mine. Now they do. They had never made a warranty claim on a tire before. Now they know how to do that, even though we didnt follow through on that end.
    I know the setup guy at my dealership pretty well, and its certainly not normal for this to happen, so I certainly didnt give them a bunch of grief about it, but they knew it wasnt a good thing that I had to deal with all this stuff.
    Since then, its been smooth sailing.

The biggest issue I have with all of this type of stuff is that I have a hard time trying to force them to do things like replace a 10 cent nut, but I asked and they did. Sometimes I feel like its easier to just do it myself, and Ive got a long history of that being exactly the case, which is why most times I do just that, but the warranty is there for a reason.
    Not only that, but Deere really does want you happy with your purchase. As a matter of fact, they recently sent me a survey to complete about my 2025R purchase, and how I like it now. They also contacted me about the service I received from the dealer on the cluster replacement, since thats the one that the dealer had to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    .......My 2018 has the new style filter. Are you sure you took delivery of a 2018? .......
    How does one know if they have the new style? I havent seen it mentioned on here anywhere until now.
    I assume my 2025 would have the new style...but now Im curious!
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 09-15-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Herminator (09-15-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I would of told them to come pick it up and fix everything you mentioned. Mine has been back several times for minor things, just keep on them till it is correct.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    They told me it was a 2018 model & the year code on the tag is a "J". I counted that up from what it says in the manual & came up with 2018 assuming they don't use an "I".

I expected a learning curve on pretty much everything based on where I was stepping up from, especially the backhoe. I'm sure it will just take practice mounting & unmounting. Not sure why I mentioned that since it wasn't really a major contributor to my frustration due to anything but my own lack of experience.

Also, based on my research I assumed there might be issues with the deck that I'd have to work through. That just kind of piled on everything else at that point.

Thanks.
    Levi, Herminator and JustinHEMI like this.
    2018 1025R FILB (120R, 260B), 60D MMM w/ Load-N-Go, Auto connect, Premium LED light kit & guards, Block heater, Ken's bolt on hooks, seat springs, & diff lock pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Edge Tamers & Extenders, Gremlins?

1990 318, Homemade 3pt hitch, 54 Blade w/ homemade scoop, 30 Hydraulic tiller w/ homemade 3pt mount, Homemade weight brackets

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Well, it sounds like just about all of your issues are dealer setup issues.
    While Deere "assembles" the units, the dealer is to thoroughly check them over and finish assembling and setting everything up. This includes things like checking fluid levels and installing and properly setting up the mowing deck.

I had a few issues with my 2025R when I picked it up, but the dealer took care of all of them. Including a missing nut.
    Im certainly not paying for anything, I already paid for it once, its not my fault it was missing. Its their job, and the warrantys purpose, to make sure everything is as its supposed to be.
    They replaced my gauge cluster, a loader cylinder, that nut, and were working on a tire replacement too, but that was handled in another much better fashion. They also tracked down the correct loader mount uprights for mine as they are different than the 1025, but those were the ones on my tractor.
    Now, Im not the most patient guy ever, and have a bit of a temper, so when I first discovered a couple of these, I was a bit more than mildly annoyed. The dealer never knew that though, and I think thats why things went so smoothly with all the issues. I cant say being at least somewhat friendly when a problem crops up helps out at every dealer, but it worked in my case.

I guess what Im getting at is that there are thousands of these sold, and there will be issues now and then. It really stinks to be the guy getting stuck with them, but make your dealer make it right.
    If you paid for fluids, go talk to the service manager and have them make it right. Either reimburse you for it, or give you a credit, or service down the road. You shouldnt be spending a dime on that tractor except for fuel and accessories for at least a year. My dealer offered a quart or two of Low Vis Hy-gard when I swapped the cylinder myself (I didnt want to wait a few days for them to get it in and back to me), but I declined since I already had a case at the house.
    They also should have offered to show you how to disconnect and reconnect the backhoe and loader. I personally told my dealer not to worry about it, as Id seen plenty of videos, and wanted to give it a go myself. Incidentally, it took me a bit the first time taking it off and putting it back on, but now its easy as pie. A proper dolly for the backhoe makes it even easier.

Dealers learn from this stuff too. In my case, they had no clue the loader uprights were different.
    They also didnt look at tires before mine. Now they do. They had never made a warranty claim on a tire before. Now they know how to do that, even though we didnt follow through on that end.
    I know the setup guy at my dealership pretty well, and its certainly not normal for this to happen, so I certainly didnt give them a bunch of grief about it, but they knew it wasnt a good thing that I had to deal with all this stuff.
    Since then, its been smooth sailing.

The biggest issue I have with all of this type of stuff is that I have a hard time trying to force them to do things like replace a 10 cent nut, but I asked and they did. Sometimes I feel like its easier to just do it myself, and Ive got a long history of that being exactly the case, which is why most times I do just that, but the warranty is there for a reason.
    Not only that, but Deere really does want you happy with your purchase. As a matter of fact, they recently sent me a survey to complete about my 2025R purchase, and how I like it now. They also contacted me about the service I received from the dealer on the cluster replacement, since thats the one that the dealer had to complete.

How does one know if they have the new style? I havent seen it mentioned on here anywhere until now.
    I assume my 2025 would have the new style...but now Im curious!
    I guess what I really mean is location. Here's a video showing the previous gen location starting at about 40 seconds.

Here's the new location.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMLV.../LVAL38314.gif

Apparently on the old location, the mounting bracket was cracking. And on some breaking the intake. It's not a PIP, they need to search 1025R air cleaner update for the solution number 113718.

So they issued an update to correct it.

Here's a previous gen with the update.

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 09-15-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    North585, JKR, bama1025r and 3 others like this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The older air cleaner setup runs parallel to the direction of travel & is supported with a bracket mounted to 3 studs on the top of the engine. From what I've read, there was an issue with the bracket breaking due to vibration so they beefed it up & made it a lot thicker. This in turn caused the vibrating to break the engine cover instead. The breakage can allow dirt & metal pieces from the break into the engine scrapping it.

The new set up has the air cleaner turned 90 degrees from the old setup & it's mounted along the radiator support. The 3 studs on top of the motor are no longer used.

I've seen guys say that the response from their dealer has been multiple things: they found report of it & updated it, they couldn't find anything but updated it anyway for customer relations, they couldn't find anything & wouldn't update it. Some guys out of warranty are updating it themselves as cheap insurance. It's sposed to be about $150 in parts & 10 minutes time.
    Levi, Herminator, kylew and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry about that. Justin beat me to it. I'm a slow typer.
    Herminator and JustinHEMI like this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I tend to agree that you should have brought issues to the attention of the salesman it was purchased through. Beins as you paid for the fluids, keep this in mind. Make mention of this and use it to your benefit towards the first, maybe even 2nd service. I can see your frustrations. The machine should be ready for service without the need of you having to top things off. You signed the dotted line for a piece of equipment that "should" have been ready to do the job. Your time, gas, and frustrations are worthy of reimbursement. Note it!! Use it to your later advantage. Meanwhile, also address the machine was delivered. I think it's a good thing that you'd planned to do what you did, with the wheel weights, backhoe, and whatever else that led you to finding discrepancies.

Note everything that you find. Write it down. Contact the dealer right quick, and ream the salesmans back side for their incompetence. Use it as leverage!!
    Levi, Herminator and JustinHEMI like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I tend to agree that you should have brought issues to the attention of the salesman it was purchased through. Beins as you paid for the fluids, keep this in mind. Make mention of this and use it to your benefit towards the first, maybe even 2nd service. I can see your frustrations. The machine should be ready for service without the need of you having to top things off. You signed the dotted line for a piece of equipment that "should" have been ready to do the job. Your time, gas, and frustrations are worthy of reimbursement. Note it!! Use it to your later advantage. Meanwhile, also address the machine was delivered. I think it's a good thing that you'd planned to do what you did, with the wheel weights, backhoe, and whatever else that led you to finding discrepancies.

Note everything that you find. Write it down. Contact the dealer right quick, and ream the salesmans back side for their incompetence. Use it as leverage!!

Definitely try to leverage it for something in the future. When they sent me home with the LED light kit missing all the mounting hardware, they gave me all the fluids/filters that I'll need for a few years. I was assertive but polite when expressing my frustration with such a mistake.
    Levi, Herminator and Emeribd like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast