• 1 Post By Levi
  • 1 Post By chex313

Thread: Thoughts on new tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-21-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks

Thoughts on new tractor

Well I replaced the 1025R I lost in Harvey with the exact same thing, a 1025R FLIB 2018 model with a 54" drive over deck (shout out to Lawson Implement). I just have 2 issues with the new rig.

First is the new seat on the backhoe. It makes it a real pain in the A$$ to even take the backhoe off and on. If you forget to put the travel pin back in while moving from one spot to another and your boom bleeds down a little you cant just reach your arm back there to bring it back up (now the backhoe seat covers the controls). And if you are on the backhoe, the tractor seat covers the tractor controls. Just a real PITA!! I think I am about to pony up 1500$ (that is how annoyed with it I am) to buy the old style swivel seat and just unbolt the backhoe seat and base and remove it. But that price is crazy!!!! 1500$ for a seat base?!!!! Come on.!!!!!!!!!!!

Second is the new racing style ROPS. I mean I like the look, but all it does is funnel and direct every single tree branch straight down to the Blinker lights and the operators head!! Its like they want to rip off the light assembly (and I did not take off the light assembly metal protector thingy (not sure what deere calls it, a roll cage?) before the old tractor was taken away). Now before people chime in and tell me to trim my trees, as soon as I can replace 1 of the 5 saws lost in Harvey I will do just that. The tractor is being put to good use to still rebuild my house (yes, I am still rebuilding over a year later). Even so if you are somewhere new to you, you shouldn't have to worry about the ROPS directing branches right towards the lights to rip them off and smack you in the head all at once.

Other than that it is GREAT!!
    I like the new placement on the power beyond for the backhoe (it is a little tight, bit I like that).
    the new backhoe anti slam feature is helpful.
    the step in the outrigger is great but the grab bar seems misplaced to me.
    hooks to hold up the outriggers when not in use are fantastic.
    I still need to "fix" the RIO, but I haven't looked into it to see how to do it (it is a different switch than the old style) so chime in if you know how to do it.
    My 54" mower deck seems like it isn't as high as the old one but that is probably just adjusting I need to look at.
    Like the quick detach side panels
    The hood latch will probably be a issue (when I picked it up the sales man told me to strap it down cause they have had 3 or 4 fly open during transport). So just need to remember to do that.

Pictures to come soon
    1025R FILB, 60D deck, 260 Back hoe, H120 loader
    psrumors seat springs
    kens weld on hooks and kens skunkworks proto-type for back hoe cylinder protectors (pics up on my home page).
    52" Ratchet Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-21-2018 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    I am not trying to bash the new tractor in any way. I am still very pleased with it on the whole.

If anyone can direct me to a cheaper place to buy the old swivel seat base let me know because I am serious about that. the ROPS will be fixed when I get a new drill to drill new holes that will keep the ROPS in a straight line like the old ones.
    Levi likes this.
    1025R FILB, 60D deck, 260 Back hoe, H120 loader
    psrumors seat springs
    kens weld on hooks and kens skunkworks proto-type for back hoe cylinder protectors (pics up on my home page).
    52" Ratchet Rake

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    The only advantage to the dual seat setup is I feel that if you're moving the machine around a lot, it's faster and easier to quickly flip the seats vs having to try and rotate the seat around. I can get to the loader control easily, and the throttle fairly easily, anything near the steering wheel forget it.
    Last edited by 12dbsinad; 09-21-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    I'm glad you're able to rebuild and replace.
    Ray_PA, Oscar Leroy and Herminator like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    If you load the tractor with it facing the rear then you don’t have to worry about the hood opening up.
    Levi and Ray_PA like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Also I used a plastic zip tie to fix the rio. It was challenging since it’s unhandy to get at.
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    The two seats is the one thing I wasn't sure I liked on the new 2018 model. I have a 2013 1025R with a swivel seat. Yes, JD had linkage problems with the original swivel linkage which caused some frustration for many users.

Mine personally broke twice, once under warranty and the second time, I replaced the swivel linkage ends with a much better quality end that I got on McMaster Carr, problem solved.

I personally like the swivel seat. As long as you keep the swivel lubed with spray lube, it works perfectly. Now, if I had a 2018 tractor, I would just have to get used to it.

Secondly, having a ROPS on a tractor has it's negative points, although, as we all know, the design and the fact that they are there has all to do with regulation, so we will just have to get used to them, and of course, the number one cause of injury and death in tractor accidents is roll over so I guess the ROPS, with seat belt usage, is actually a good idea, especially if you are use your FEL.

I would assume one of the reasons JD does not offer an FEL on the X700 series tractors anymore is because they do not have a ROPS.

My guess is, the redesign on the JD ROPS had something to do with the 2018 recall of SCUT and CUT tractors with folding ROPS retaining pins; the many, many product liability lawsuits that are filed each year concerning ROPS design, and an update of the ASAE Design Standard. Again, we will just have to get used to it.

John deeres recall due to ROPS folding pin retaining pins
    John Deere Recalls Compact Utility Tractors Due to Risk of Serious Injury or Death | CPSC.gov

Info concerning a ROPS
    Rollover Protection for Farm Tractor Operators
    Levi likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Guess my 1026 was made right. 1023 and 1025's are listed but no 1026.
    But then before Feb. 2013 it's all good. Does this mean my tractor is old because it was made back when "things were made right"? That usually means "a long time ago".
    chex313 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Guess my 1026 was made right. 1023 and 1025's are listed but no 1026.
    But then before Feb. 2013 it's all good. Does this mean my tractor is old because it was made back when "things were made right"? That usually means "a long time ago".
    and that includes us
    Levi likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 05:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    The only advantage to the dual seat setup is I feel that if you're moving the machine around a lot, it's faster and easier to quickly flip the seats vs having to try and rotate the seat around. I can get to the loader control easily, and the throttle fairly easily, anything near the steering wheel forget it.
    I use the two seat flipping as modern tackle dummies...using one hand tp flip one forward while flopping the other down...
    helps the shoulder and pecs..and strengthens my rotary cuff

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements