Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Ugh the dreaded new guy doing a comparison and decision for a new SCUT

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks

Wink Ugh the dreaded new guy doing a comparison and decision for a new SCUT

I have been battling with myself for about two weeks now on which tractor to get. The BX23S or the JD 1025r and just can't make a decision. I can get them at about the same price with 0% for 60 or 84 months. I then came across an older 2011 BX25 with 1100 hrs on it and with loader and backhoe. Need a mid mower for about 2k and interest is about 5%. Kinda talked myself out of it and back onto the new models again. I like the small options that are included on the JD, but the smoother hydraulics on the Kubota, bigger gas tank, all metal, and quick disconnects sound a little better. I wish JD would come out tomorrow with a match of the FEL quick connect and better system for the hoe and better hydraulics and they would probably have my money right now. Very tough decision!

2018 John Deere 1025r and Kubota BX23S Comparison:

Kubota BX23S:
    Better smoother hydraulic loader control
    Better hydraulic loader disconnect
    Better hookup for backhoe
    Fully made by Kubota, Engine, etc.
    Heavier duty axles
    1630 vs 1349
    2120 vs 1576
    Bigger gas tank
    All metal
    Hood opens sides along with top
    Heavier at 2689 vs 2208 (excludes loader frame, so may be closer?)
    Hoe Digging Depth 6'5" vs 6'2"
    Radiator in back of engine compartment instead of front
    Loader universal Quick Attach
    Easier storage, smaller length and width

John Deere 1025R:
    Slight better engine HP 23.9 (JD Brochure says 24.2) vs 23
    PTO 18 vs 17.7
    Slight better engine torque 40.7 vs 40
    More comfortable in seating area/More room
    Feels bigger and more stable
    More lighting
    Loader bucket level standard
    Toolbox
    Drive Over Auto Connect Mid Mower Deck
    Hoe Stabilizer upright brackets
    Better lift capacity with loader 754 vs 739 and 613 w/QA
    Better loader breakout capacity
    1823 vs 1407 and 1286 w/QA
    1320 vs 987 and 901 w/QA
    Better hoe swing arc 150 vs 140
    Better Hoe Bucket digging force 2036 vs 1936
    Better Dipperstick digging force 1187 vs 1171
    So far the JD has been cheaper. $22,260 vs $22,900

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defau...rsn=4b61f734_0
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    I think we are all pretty biased, so I imagine most will say to go with the Deere. I would too.
    BUT...make sure you sit on, and operate both tractors.
    AND, when you go visit both tractors, ask to remove/attach the FEL and BH on each.

I think after you do that you will be able to make your decision.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Thanks
    Spend some time on Orangetractortalk. The Kubota is a great tractor, but not perfect. It has weaker hydraulics than the BX25 (many owners use shims to increase hydraulic pressure, so much that there are ready made kits for it), the quick connect hydraulic manifold leaks, etc. It would be worth it to find out all of the good and bad, so that you are able to better compare.
    I'm pretty active on OTT- it is a very friendly, subjective forum. You will get a fair assessment of the 23s.

Kubota builds a gazillion BX's per year- I would love to see the numbers. I believe that they sell more BX's than all other manufacturers are selling, combined. Again, it's a great tractor. But, not perfect or without need for improvements. And, I don't feel that it's better than a Deere- just different. Most opinions will boil down to preference, not superiority.
    Last edited by hodge; 10-02-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks
    I was tossed up between the 2 brands when I was looking also. What sealed the deal for me was the auto-connect for the MMM, and I did not like the idea of the pedals for forward and reverse on the BX series of tractors. Going forward is the same but I didn't like the idea of either having to put my toe under to lift it for reverse or picking up my foot to use my heel for reverse. I also like the way the hood opens on mine over the Kubota, and I think the throttle is placement is better on the JD (Seems more tucked out of the way instead of having a huge bar sticking out).

I do however like the ability to curl and lift on the FEL of the Kubota and wish that my JD was able to do that, but I just work around it.

Kevin.
    2018 2025R
    120R FEL
    54D AutoConnect MMM
    47" Snow Blower
    42" HLA Pallet Forks

7. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    My father has a Kubota and it has a bazillion hrs on it. Been a good machine. I will say you can see every dent/ding because it is metal and the floorboards/other high rub areas aren't orange anymore because the paint has rubbed off the steel. Radiator still gets clogged up even though it's behind the motor. The JD will just clog up sooner and the plastic gives allot more and will return to it's original state. The plastic is green dyed so it won't rubbed off.

I'm sure others will chime in on some of the other things, but I have to get working. Good luck!
    Last edited by Big; 10-02-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks

It's both the deal and the dealer

If the price is close and the tractors are pretty close, then it's time to really get a feeling for which dealer you want to work with long term. Are they stable, long term dealers? You may not ever deal with the salesman after the sale so how are the parts guys or ladies? Do they keep a good stock of parts or is everything ordered? What's the service department like?

I'd ask the salesman for the names of 2-3 customers who bought the same rig and give them a call. Did the delivery person take time to explain the tractor, how it use it and maintain it?

In short, which dealer will be there if you really need them? Even if you are a mechanic with a fully equipped shop, warranty work has to be done by the dealer. You hope you don't need a shop for many years but if you do, you want them to be competent, willing and able to get your machine back up and running in short order.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I went with Deere because there are 4 Deere dealers within a 40 mile radius of me with plenty of stock to try out. There is one rinky dink Kubota dealer with nothing to look at less than 10 miles away.
    BigJim55, Herminator and kylew like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-06-2019 @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks

Had the same decision this summer.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be happy with either one. I settled on the JD because of 3 things. 1st: The Kubota had a high pitch whine in the hyd. pump. I tried 3 different tractors and they all had that same whine. 2nd: If you bought the backhoe, the Kubota seat changed and was not nearly as comfortable as the JD tractor seat. I figured I would use the backhoe very few hours in comparison to the hours I would be using the tractor and didn't want to sacrifice with the seat comfort. 3rd: I didn't like the Kubota treadle petal on the Kubota.

I already own a Kubota M5040 and really like it, just to big to drive around in our barns because of the size. I'm really impressed with the work I can do with the little JD. I really wanted the Kubota for the loader universal Quick Attach as I already had attachments for my Kubota tractor. Now that I have both, I really like the JD setup better. Easier for me to see as I attach different options.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    If the price is close and the tractors are pretty close, then it's time to really get a feeling for which dealer you want to work with long term. Are they stable, long term dealers? You may not ever deal with the salesman after the sale so how are the parts guys or ladies? Do they keep a good stock of parts or is everything ordered? What's the service department like?

I'd ask the salesman for the names of 2-3 customers who bought the same rig and give them a call. Did the delivery person take time to explain the tractor, how it use it and maintain it?

In short, which dealer will be there if you really need them? Even if you are a mechanic with a fully equipped shop, warranty work has to be done by the dealer. You hope you don't need a shop for many years but if you do, you want them to be competent, willing and able to get your machine back up and running in short order.

Treefarmer
    Once again, my friend Tree Farmer NAILS It. The dealer is a HUGE ISSUE. You will need the dealer at some point and a good dealer is extremely important in the positive tractor ownership experience, regardless of brand.

As far as things like the larger fuel tank, after you spend the amount of time on either machine which will run the tank empty, you will need to be getting off the machine to stretch your legs and move out of the seating position. My 1025R burns about a gallon per hour of fuel, sometimes a little less such as when plowing snow and no PTO use and lower RPM operating speed. In those instances, it will burn about .7 to .8 gallons of fuel per hour. After 6 or 7 hours of continuous use, you will be ready to change positions and add some fuel.

The after the sales service is incredibly important. I fortunately have a great dealer and a great relationship with my salesman (who has become a friend as a result of our dealings) and the service tech who handles my machine has been OUTSTANDING. Things happen. When you need the dealer, you want them to be responsive and handle your issues.

A close friend of mine was looking for a 45 HP tractor. He looked at Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, LS and a few others. He ended up going with Mahindra because of the price and their pitch about their warranty. He has had nothing but regrets. When it came time for his first oil change and hydro fluid change, the dealer didn't even stock the filters and had to order them. He was without his machine for 8 days for a simple fluid change. That's unacceptable. As far as their legendary warranty, despite several issues which should have been warrantied, the dealer is always finding a way to "wiggle out of" filing a warranty claim and ends up charging the customer. Dealership quality and strength and the lack of either has turned my friends ownership experience into a bad one.

I would have to say both Deere and Kubota are great machines. Personally, I do not like the Kubota "treadle pedal" operation and find it very uncomfortable, especially when you are taller / larger. Getting on and off the machine, I was constantly stepping on some part of the pedal to get positioned on the machine seat. After the dealer quality, the ergonomics of the machine operation are a major concern as what are little annoyances now, become deal breakers over time.........

Our local Kubota dealer is very marginal. In fact, I considered buying the Kubota dealership simply to turn it around and provide the type of dealership which their customers deserve. But I really don't want to tie up that much capital and frankly, I am looking for fewer things to do at this point in my life, not more. I don't have a problem with Kubota as a company and I feel they make a quality product. It's clearly superior to many of the Korean / Indian imports like LS, Mahindra, Kioti, etc. I would say the Kubota and Deere are the top two products in their category in this SCUT product range.

Deere is very, very good about attachments and implements as well as accessories for their machines to make them as user friendly and valuable to their customer. They cover a very wide swath of what consumers desire. Their parts departments do an excellent job at inventory and parts access for machines new and old. I have a 23 year old Deere I bought new and I have had one experience where they didn't have a critical part I needed. But again, much of this is on the strength of the Dealer and their commitment to local customer service and satisfaction.

Many SCUT owners end up with after market accessories to improve their ownership experience, such as the single hydraulic connection ports and other such items to meet their needs. This is a very robust marketplace with a lot of great products and accessories for both Kubota and Deere. Much of these product offerings and uses are found through places like this website and forum threads. Tractor owners love to talk about their tractors and show creative ways to use their machines to improve their lives. Either way, Orange or Green, you will be making a purchase which will enrich your life. I would boil my decision down to the actual ergonomics and operation of the two machines and the strength of the local dealer.

Good luck with your decision and purchase. Let us know, either way, if you would........We like to know how these situations turn out.
    Herminator, kylew and Toughsox like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-13-2019 @ 05:22 AM
    Thanks
    Hi I'm a FNG here too. Like you I have been looking at subcompacts, IMHO the deal breaker for the BX is using your heel to reverse. I have operated many TLB's and wheel loaders and other equipment over the years and I was running a BX on a job and my leg started to hurt from using the reverse. I found the JD forward and reverse a lot more ergonomic when you need to change directions a lot such as running the loader. Parts availability is another consideration also. And lastly when you use your $ Green to buy a Green tractor the money stays in the USA not sent overseas to a foreign country

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DonR For This Useful Post:

C-Range (10-14-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast