Like Tree73Likes

Thread: 1025R Blowing Seals On Transmission Filter

1. Top | #1
    JRD

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks

1025R Blowing Seals On Transmission Filter

Hi All...newly registered user here so this is my first post...and sorry it has to be so lengthy. I've been watching threads here for a while but have had nothing worthy to post so didn't register previous. Now, I have an issue that others may want to hear about.

I last changed my transmission fluid/filter and cleaned suction screen/magnet in May of this year at 277 hrs. I've been mowing all summer and watering trees with no issues (without loader frame being mounted) and now have about 330 hrs. I finally had use for the loader a few weeks ago so first removed mower deck and mounted the loader. The first time starting the tractor after the loader was mounted I noticed a stream of fluid all over the garage flow so I quickly shut off tractor. Upon examination, I noticed the hydraulic filter seal had blown. I cleaned up the mess, removed filter, put on a new one, filled fluid, and restarted tractor. Let tractor run for several minutes as I exercised the hydraulics (loader). No leaks, good to go. Shut off tractor to eat lunch. An hour or so later I restarted tractor and immediately started seeing fluid all over floor. Same exercise....clean up mess, replace filter, refill fluid...this time questioning did I tighten the filter enough. Pulled out book and specs say tighten 1/2 - 3/4 turn after gasket contract...good to go (did you know that the filter box indicates 1 full turn?). Started tractor and again, no fluid leaks. Let tractor sit again for a while. Later came back to start and again was blowing fluid all over floor. Again, questioning if I overtightened the filter I went to my local dealer to pick up additional filters and fluid....same results. This time I bagged my filter so I wouldn't drop fluid all over floor and winched tractor onto my trailer and took to dealer.

At dealer, I showed pictures of filter as it was on the tractor showing bulging filter. There the service manager accused me of overtightening the filter...saying that is the only way that issue could happen. I told him that wasn't the case...that I've been changing fluids/filters longer than he's been alive. Left my tractor and the next day they were able to get mine in the shop. They replaced the filter and tested pressures in several different locations (not sure where all...but there is a place under the seat behind the panel by your boot heal) that was also tested. All tested within specs. So, after $500 of parts, fluid, and testing labor, they found no issue. I loaded the tractor and placed in my garage. Two days later it's time to mow. Removed loader and mounted mower and mowed for 2 hours...no issue. Parked tractor in front of garage on newly poured concrete and went into house to eat lunch. About an hour later I go back outside to remove the deck and remount the loader....and upon starting I'm blowing fluid again. Pissed my off....all over my new concrete. Loaded tractor and back to dealer...told service manager that it was their mechanic that put this filter on...and that he owed me an apology for accusing me of overtightening. He never said a word...but had someone else get the mechanic that did the original work.

The mechanic apologized and couldn't understand what had happened. He was going to open a Dtac(?) with John Deere to help solve this problem. Well, that was this past Friday and I've not heard a thing.

So, over the past 2 weeks, I've blown gaskets on a total of 4 filters. In each case, when the filters blow, it is immediate upon start up. I'm getting no drips on the floor between the prior shutdown and the startup that blows the filter. I have not pulled the oil suction screen/magnet again to see what this looks like.

I plan to stop by the dealer today to see what progress, if any, that they've made. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts that I can bring to them?
    Herminator likes this.
    1025R, H120, 60D Auto, 647 Tiller, SB Select 54" Rear Snow Blower, KBOH, Upgraded seat springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,241 Posts
    There was someone else on here not long ago that was having a similar problem. Everyone was assuming he didn't remove the old gasket when he installed the new filter but he insisted that wasn't the case. I just spent some time doing searches and have been unable to locate that old thread (which is why using key words are so important). I don't recall if the OP ever got back to us with the final resolution.

Hopefully someone else who remembers that other thread will chime in.
    Herminator likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Is there any possible chance at all that the original filter seal is stuck to the filter head? I had this happen on an engine oil filter once and lo and behold, the original gasket was stuck on the filter head, barely visible.
    Herminator likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    JRD

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've seen 2 other threads that are similar...but none indicated blowing seal at startup. If moderator feels that the issues are the same, feel free to move as needed.

There is no chance that prior seals are/were still in place...that's part of the reason that I've had 4 failures...double checking myself before I pay local dealer to troubleshoot.

I will post findings from dealer...assuming there is a solution. My fear is that they will return with nothing found and they cannot replicate the issue...and sometime when I'm blowing snow at -20 I will blow another seal.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    1025R, H120, 60D Auto, 647 Tiller, SB Select 54" Rear Snow Blower, KBOH, Upgraded seat springs

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    There was someone else on here not long ago that was having a similar problem. Everyone was assuming he didn't remove the old gasket when he installed the new filter but he insisted that wasn't the case. I just spent some time doing searches and have been unable to locate that old thread (which is why using key words are so important). I don't recall if the OP ever got back to us with the final resolution.

Hopefully someone else who remembers that other thread will chime in.
    1026R hydraulic filter failed 3 times

Al
    joshn3448 and Herminator like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AlKozak For This Useful Post:

jgayman (10-03-2018)

9. Top | #6
    JRD

Last Online
    Thanks
    I now have a "probable" resolution. I just now talked to the dealer...and they were able to get a failure with their pressure gauges attached. I'm NOT techie when it comes to hydraulics, but what they explained is that there are pressure testing ports located under the seat...behind the lower panel above the floor board. Behind your left foot, as you are sitting on the tractor, there are ports for testing. Here is where they tested over 300 psi at startup...and normal pressure are supposed to be between 90-120 (I think these were the ranges they quoted me). That pointed them to a pressure relief valve (located behind your right heal when sitting on tractor). They removed the pressure relief valve and ordered a new one. The valve they took our was in 2 pieces...the valve they ordered came in as one piece...good chance this is the problem.

They plan to keep the tractor overnight and want to test at startup in the morning. Been rainy the last couple days here...and for the next couple...so in no hurry...test away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is resolved.

Hope this helps others out there that may be having similar issues.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by JRD; 10-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRD For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (10-07-2018), etcallhome (10-05-2018), mikdor (10-13-2018)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you for updating us.
    BigJim55, keane and Herminator like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    I now have a "probable" resolution. I just now talked to the dealer...and they were able to get a failure with their pressure gauges attached. I'm NOT techie when it comes to hydraulics, but what they explained is that there are pressure testing ports located under the seat...behind the lower panel above the floor board. Behind your left foot, as you are sitting on the tractor, there are ports for testing. Here is where they tested over 300 psi at startup...and normal pressure are supposed to be between 90-120 (I think these were the ranges they quoted me). That pointed them to a pressure relief valve (located behind your right heal when sitting on tractor). They removed the pressure relief valve and ordered a new one. The valve they took our was in 2 pieces...the valve they ordered came in as one piece...good chance this is the problem.

They plan to keep the tractor overnight and want to test at startup in the morning. Been rainy the last couple days here...and for the next couple...so in no hurry...test away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is resolved.

Hope this helps others out there that may be having similar issues.

Best of luck.
    Just for future reference for other readers, when you pick your machine up (or they deliver it back to you!) could you track down the part numbers for the old and new valves and post them here? It might save others a lot of digging if you could!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    I'm thinking there is no new part number, the old valve had just come apart?
    Happy to see that this validates the troubleshooting measures some folks went through in the linked thread where there was never a resolution posted. Shout out to Ray in PA for attaching schematics and procedures there.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I'm thinking there is no new part number, the old valve had just come apart?
    Happy to see that this validates the troubleshooting measures some folks went through in the linked thread where there was never a resolution posted. Shout out to Ray in PA for attaching schematics and procedures there.
    Correct, only one pressure relieve valve although there has been a revision to the part number.

Part Number: LVA803641 (was LVA802776)
    Part Price: 69.50 USD
    On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
    Description: Pressure Relief Valve - PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE, RELIEF ASSY,
    Package Quantity: 1

21 LVA803641 Pressure Relief Valve 1 SUB FOR LVA802776
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LVA803641.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

joshn3448 (10-07-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast