Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Idle adjustment 1025R/2025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks

Idle adjustment 1025R/2025R

I know there has been some back and forth about this, but wondering if anyone can chime in about reducing the idle speed and the effects on a actual experience basis. There is no doubt that these newer machines run a much higher idle compared to older machines. It's possible it's due to emissions?

Has anyone successful or not done such a thing here on a 1025/2025R?
    Last edited by 12dbsinad; 10-08-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    General consensus has been "stay with factory speeds". These ain't yer granpa's Cat D4's.:laugh"

Emissions, cooling after PTO/Loader/Backhoe use shut-down, general electrical draw during winter light use, Yanmar/JD never gave anybody a good reason that I know of, except that it's in the Manual and the Shop Manual. I must admit when I got my 1026rTLB I had the exact same reaction and wanted to turn the wick down on mine... But cooler heads prevailed around this Forum.

If you decide to do it, keep us all informed on performance AND longevity!!!
    Last edited by HydroHarold; 10-08-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Jep, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:25 AM
    Thanks
    Iíve been working in the diesel industry for 30 years and the evolution has changed dramatically. The last 15 years emission standards have changed everything, the days of a idling Diesel engine have long been gone. If a diesel motor idles excessively at low rpm it canít generate enough heat to eat its own soot so to speak and it starts plugging up everything and slobbering oil. I have no direct input pertaining about the newer scuts as mine is older but if the factory set it, I personally would leave it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1023e w/FEL
    Curtis cab
    54" snow blower
    36" forks
    Jd ballast box
    54" mmm
    48" tiller land pride
    7' 3pt blade
    Tsc sub soiler ( converting it for burying electric cable )
    3pt tool bar ( project under construction )

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Iíve written about this in the past. Thereís a nasty harmonic vibration that exists on this particular engine trans combo at certain speeds. If you lower the low idle speed, you will definitely increase the vibrations from the engine. You will not find a smoother RPM at anything lower than the factory spec. I know it sounds funny to hear them idle what sounds fast, but itís actually healthy for the engine. Faster idle speeds also increases the heat. This heat is much needed in the winter time to help warm up the engine and keep it warm.

I tried this experiment running the engine at lower RPMS just to see it dance around. If you look at several other threads in the forum here, for example, the air cleaner bracket thread, things get broken, some pretty easy, especially when things are vibrating enough.

My suggestion? Keep the RPMS up. High enough where things are smooth. That will make your tractor live a long happy life.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    While I was initially surprised at the higher idle speed on the new tractors, It doesn't take long getting used to the higher idle speed on the 1 series. Its nice not to have that incessant harmonic vibration which accompanies the former low idle speed of these little Yanmar diesels and made everything throughout the tractor shudder. With my 455, over the years, the vibration damaged the hood side panel mounts, the hood mounts themselves, motor mounts and without thread lock, the fuel filter / water separator canister wouldn't stay on the engine.

The higher idle speed on the 1 series permits the tractor to be driven even at the idle speed. The older machines, with the lower idle speed, the entire machine would shudder even more when either directional pedal was pushed, requiring the throttle to be used to increase the RPM's. Overall, while the older machines did have a lower idle speed, the engine speed was usually increased above idle almost immediately after starting to reduce the vibration and also permit the machine to be moved.

Now, my only issue with the 1 series idle speed is the way the engine shakes and shudders upon shutdown, as it seems somewhat "violent". I wouldn't be surprised to find the vibration damage issues which some have experienced in the 1 series, such as the broken air filter brackets, etc., likely occur during the engine shut down verses at the engines operating idle speed. This engine shutdown shaking concerns me more than the other aspects of the tractors idle speed. But I still personally wouldn't change the idle speed on the 1 series, out of concern for the long term consequences to the engine and tractor.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Now, my only issue with the 1 series idle speed is the way the engine shakes and shudders upon shutdown, as it seems somewhat "violent". I wouldn't be surprised to find the vibration damage issues which some have experienced in the 1 series, such as the broken air filter brackets, etc., likely occur during the engine shut down verses at the engines operating idle speed. This engine shutdown shaking concerns me more than the other aspects of the tractors idle speed. But I still personally wouldn't change the idle speed on the 1 series, out of concern for the long term consequences to the engine and tractor.
    Oddly, the Kubota BX-series engines seem to have the same violent shake during shutdown.
    etcallhome, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do you think the shaking at shutdown on the 1-series has anything to do with the engine being bolted to rubber engine mounts? I don't think the earlier 2-series had rubber mounts and its engine doesn't shake at shutdown.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Oddly, the Kubota BX-series engines seem to have the same violent shake during shutdown.
    My FIL has a 17 year old BX2200, at an idle things start falling off the tractor it vibrates and shakes so bad, and that is not a joke. But it also idles much lower, I wonder if the newer Kabota's have gone to a high idle?
    Herminator likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    My FIL has a 17 year old BX2200, at an idle things start falling off the tractor it vibrates and shakes so bad, and that is not a joke. But it also idles much lower, I wonder if the newer Kabota's have gone to a high idle?
    I was going to check the operator's manual for one of the newer Kubota's but of course I discoverd that Kubota, unlike JD, does not make its tractor operator's manuals available on-line. That is, other than to purchase.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Thanks
    It took me a good while to get used to the high idle on my 1025r (first JD I've owned) since every other diesel I've ever owned was not this way. The worst thing for me is shutting it off 'cause it dies so violently. I always assumed this has something to do with emissions so I would not change it.

My 12 year-old Kubota diesel ZTR doesn't have a tach but I guess-ti-mate it idles down to 8 or 9 hundred rpm, and is just as smooth as as WOT. My 22 year-old Cub Cadet (Mitsubishi) diesel idles around 8 - 9 hundred rpm and is the smoothest running and easiest starting diesel I've ever owned. So I really don't understand the vibration problems.

A friend of mine bought a Kubota scut about the same time I bought my 1025r (don't remember the model) but he also complained about it having the same high idle. Have never heard him say anything about vibrations though.
    Last edited by spferdil; 10-09-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missing word
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast