Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: It's amazing what one old man can do with his 1026R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks

It's amazing what one old man can do with his 1026R

So a dead tree from the property next door finally toppled over and landed on my next door neighbor's fence, narrowly missing my rotary cutter. I (twice) warned the folks at the property, a private social club, about the tree, but it had a rather low priority since it's a volunteer organization. I normally don't keep the brush cutter there. I took it off to do some other work and so, yeah, that's where I thoughtless left it for a couple of days. Naturally, that's when the damn tree decided to keel over and die for ever. I checked with my insurer, and (what a surprise) my insurance deductible far exceeded the cost of having a professional remove the downed tree. Of course, I'm always looking for new ways to have fun...I mean work... with my 2012 1026R. So, with some help from my Stihl MS-180, I had the sizable trunk trimmed enough for easy removal and to use as a marker on the vehicle path on my 2 acre back lot. It didn't hurt that I had my clamp-on shovel on the bucket to dig some hostas from the front flower bed that were growing crazy! Just a couple of more examples why buying this tractor and a couple implements was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

P.S. I'll do my best to post a video next time. I guess because I produced 400 hours of educational TV programming a year for 15 years before retiring, breaking out the gear is not always my first move. Yeah, I do have a phone, so there's that....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181009_093253.jpg   20181009_093333.jpg   20181009_155904.jpg  
    JD 1026R w/H120 Loader, iMatch, Frontier RC2048 rotary cutter,Frontier BB2048 Box Blade, BW15073 Ballast Box, 54" front mounted snow blower.
    JD X310 w/ 42" mower, hydraulic lift, power steering, and rear bagging system
    JD 180 w/46" mower "The Beast"

"Time is luck, and no one owns the future. Go buy that tractor today!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    I have several locust and magnolia trees, and an old orchard that produce a fair amount of unwanted vegetation each year. Before I got the 1025r, I would dread the task of trimming, thinning and removing excess and low hanging branches, and then dragging everything off to the burn pile. Now, I can't wait to find a few limbs, branches, or vines (my locust trees tend to revert to vine) that are within reach of the chain saw. I even bought a battery powered pruning saw to extend my reach. Out comes the saw and pallet forks, and the offending vegetation is soon cut, piled up, and waiting for it's end-of-season fate in the burn pile. Not to mention the joy of picking up the burn pile in one step, so that I can add some starter cardboard underneath...

The only part of this clean up task that I don't enjoy is putting the tractor away because it's done!
    Levi, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I have several locust and magnolia trees, and an old orchard that produce a fair amount of unwanted vegetation each year. Before I got the 1025r, I would dread the task of trimming, thinning and removing excess and low hanging branches, and then dragging everything off to the burn pile. Now, I can't wait to find a few limbs, branches, or vines (my locust trees tend to revert to vine) that are within reach of the chain saw. I even bought a battery powered pruning saw to extend my reach. Out comes the saw and pallet forks, and the offending vegetation is soon cut, piled up, and waiting for it's end-of-season fate in the burn pile. Not to mention the joy of picking up the burn pile in one step, so that I can add some starter cardboard underneath...

The only part of this clean up task that I don't enjoy is putting the tractor away because it's done!
    I just recently started doing this too! Had a brush pile that was being a pain in the rear to get lit. Id tried 2 times prior, and no luck.
    I finally got the bright idea to lift part of it with the forks and stuff cardboard/dry wood under it. Burned pretty good. Now thats my go too trick to get any of them lit!

To the OP, wouldnt their insurance be responsible for that?
    I cant say with any certainty, but I was under the impression that if a tree from one property falls on another and does damage, the original property owner is responsible.
    Maybe not since its a tree and could be considered a natural act or act of God.
    Youd think with all the trees I have, Id know, but nope.
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I finally got the bright idea to lift part of it with the forks and stuff cardboard/dry wood under it. Burned pretty good. Now thats my go too trick to get any of them lit!

The best way I've found to fan the flames on any brush pile is to use a leaf blower. It really speeds up the burn!
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadOx View Post
    The best way I've found to fan the flames on any brush pile is to use a leaf blower. It really speeds up the burn!
    Not only that but it burns much hotter, which means less smoke.
    IndianaJim, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Well, it looks like you got lucky with the fence anyway.
    Levi, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZeeno View Post
    So a dead tree from the property next door finally toppled over and landed on my next door neighbor's fence, narrowly missing my rotary cutter. I (twice) warned the folks at the property, a private social club, about the tree, but it had a rather low priority since it's a volunteer organization. I normally don't keep the brush cutter there. I took it off to do some other work and so, yeah, that's where I thoughtless left it for a couple of days. Naturally, that's when the damn tree decided to keel over and die for ever. I checked with my insurer, and (what a surprise) my insurance deductible far exceeded the cost of having a professional remove the downed tree. Of course, I'm always looking for new ways to have fun...I mean work... with my 2012 1026R. So, with some help from my Stihl MS-180, I had the sizable trunk trimmed enough for easy removal and to use as a marker on the vehicle path on my 2 acre back lot. It didn't hurt that I had my clamp-on shovel on the bucket to dig some hostas from the front flower bed that were growing crazy! Just a couple of more examples why buying this tractor and a couple implements was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

P.S. I'll do my best to post a video next time. I guess because I produced 400 hours of educational TV programming a year for 15 years before retiring, breaking out the gear is not always my first move. Yeah, I do have a phone, so there's that....
    Is that normal for that bark on the big tree in your yard to crack that way on the trunk and separate from the tree in big sections?
    Levi, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Is that normal for that bark on the big tree in your yard to crack that way on the trunk and separate from the tree in big sections?
    You have a sharp eye. That "old oak tree" is on its way out. We topped it last year and will probably have to bring it down some day, although there was nice growth on it this summer. I'm one of those "woodsman spare that tree" guys.
    JD 1026R w/H120 Loader, iMatch, Frontier RC2048 rotary cutter,Frontier BB2048 Box Blade, BW15073 Ballast Box, 54" front mounted snow blower.
    JD X310 w/ 42" mower, hydraulic lift, power steering, and rear bagging system
    JD 180 w/46" mower "The Beast"

"Time is luck, and no one owns the future. Go buy that tractor today!"

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZeeno View Post
    You have a sharp eye. That "old oak tree" is on its way out. We topped it last year and will probably have to bring it down some day, although there was nice growth on it this summer. I'm one of those "woodsman spare that tree" guys.
    Heating with a woodstove goes a long way towards curing that! But, I have a 200+ year old 5' diameter red oak which is and has been hollow the 22 years I've owned the place. PO lightened up the top canopy and I had a lower broken off (3'dia.) leader cleaned up. I could not take it down, it raises too many fun families of squirrels and the shade keeps the Norway maples under it somewhat in check. OLD trees are sacred.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    To the OP, wouldnt their insurance be responsible for that?
    I cant say with any certainty, but I was under the impression that if a tree from one property falls on another and does damage, the original property owner is responsible.
    Maybe not since its a tree and could be considered a natural act or act of God.
    Youd think with all the trees I have, Id know, but nope.
    If a healthy tree in your yard falls during a wind storm (an unpreventable act of god) and does damage to a neighbors property, it is the neighbor’s insurance that covers any damage they incur. It may have been your tree that did the damage, but it’s the insurance of the property that was damaged that actually covers the damage.

However, if a dead/damaged/diseased tree falls after the owner of said tree became aware of its condition (by the neighbor, in writing) and the owner of the tree failed to take corrective action, the owner is negligent and directly responsible for the damage (insurance does not cover negligence).
    HydroHarold, Levi and keane like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast