Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: 1025r Engine Trouble AGAIN

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks

1025r Engine Trouble AGAIN

Well my 2018 1025r has engine trouble again at 23 hours. I had written before that at 4 hours while I was cutting grass it started to run rough than died numerous times. My dealer picked it up and they said that the fuel pump was bad, replaced it and the filters (not sure about under floorboard filter). all was well for 18 hours.

My tractor had 22 hours when they picked it up Monday to install my Mauser cab, block heater and 55 amp alternator. I got it back In 3 days and was very impressed with the cab and the lights. I drove it around the yard for about 15 minutes last night to assess the lighting. The back windshield light is fantastic and the roof mounted lights were very good after a little adjustment.

Today I decided to use the tractor to work on removing some Buckthorn. I hooked up the bucket and was using the hydraulics to pull some of this crap out. The tractor started to sputter and ran rough for about 15 seconds and died. It started and died a couple more times. I decided to leave it and put a call in to my dealer. He was very busy and I didn’t get back to me for a couple hours. While I was waiting for his call I tried the tractor again, it started and ran rough for 15 seconds smoothed out and ran fine so I put it in the garage. Two bad fuel pumps in 23 hours just doesn’t seem probable. I believe it is something else.

Things I’ve checked:
    Fuel in filter on side of engine looks fine with no apparent water or sediment.
    In line floorboard filter is full with no apparent water or sediment.
    Fuel shut off lever wide open.

I wish I would have checked the filters when it was running rough and died but I didn’t. If it’s sucking air under load I might have seen some bubbles or a partially filled filter.

I told the dealer I would drop it off on Monday and am looking for other opinions on what could be the issue.

Disappointed, I just got my CTA 66” Loader mounted plow last Saturday and figured I was ready for winter. I was going to take the tractor to the cabin next week and do some trail work but now I’m not confident about being there alone a mile or two from the cabin and I might have a tractor that won’t run and no help to get it back to the trailer. UGH!
    Last edited by Sportshot2; 10-12-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    etcallhome, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Have you checked the fuel filter? Is the red ring floating or sitting on the bottom? Where are you getting your fuel? How old is it?

Diesel isnít like gasoline. Thereís a lot of info on the site here about diesel fuel. Check out the general tractor ownership forum and tractor maintenance forum here. Lots of good reading.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Red ring in filter on bottom. I get fuel at my local Fleet Farm.
    Levi, Herminator, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    It's very disappointing when I hear about problems like this with these new tractors. To be honest, it was one of the reason's why I struggled with the decision to spend the money to buy a new tractor and all the implements. My 455 was so reliable and dependable for over 20 years and other than regular maintenance, that was all it required.

Then I read about these strange issues. I can see someone getting a bad fuel pump. But more than one in such few hours of operation? Extremely unlikely......I put one fuel pump in my 455 in 23 years and 2,600 hours. That's to be expected........And with my fuel pump, the tractor would run, just not have any power going up hills. The moment I would climb even a small ditch, it would stumble and start to quit, but even turning it downhill would give it enough fuel to keep running.

I hope its something simple and I look forward to hearing what the dealer finds. It's a terrible feeling to have spent that much money and have that nagging feeling you can't trust or rely on your machine.........

You were very good about follow up posting on your previous issue, so I am sure you will be on this issue as well. That's very important as it helps all of us learn about what the issue might have been......

To be honest, I doubt the original fuel pump was bad and I bet it's something else entirely..........Unless Deere is buying some real junk fuel pumps now......which I hope isn't the case.

I really hate hearing you are having these issues with this machine................

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I know it's tough with that type of fuel tank but check inside for something that may be floating around getting caught over suction tube. Had that happen a few times over the years on big equipment. Would just start sputtering and shut off. Once was the plastic from a cigarette pack, another was a plastic cap from a hydraulic line.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Have you checked the fuel filter? Is the red ring floating or sitting on the bottom? Where are you getting your fuel? How old is it?
    What is the red ring and what does it mean?

Sportshot2, I hope they find the problem. Nothing worse than chasing a problem!!!!
    Last edited by mikdor; 10-13-2018 at 07:11 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Previous mower 1987 216 that I bought new. Had for 30 yrs +, It was part of the Family!!

2018 1023e
    54" Auto Connect Deck
    54" Snow-Blower
    120r Loader
    Rear Heavy Hitch w/ 8 suitcase weights

Thank You to all our Military Men and Women who are serving and our Vets!!!!

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

1025r Engine Trouble AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by mikdor View Post
    What is the red ring and what does it mean?
    The red ring floats on water. Water sinks in diesel fuel. So if the ring isnít on the bottom, you have water in your fuel. The filter should be drained immediately and your fuel source should be checked for contamination.
    Kennyd, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

mikdor†(10-13-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    You may want to have the fuel shut-off solenoid and associated linkage checked. If the solenoid and/or linkage is not fully engaging, this would create a fuel starvation issue that your symptoms are indicative thereof.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

Sportshot2†(10-13-2018)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    You may want to have the fuel shut-off solenoid and associated linkage checked. If the solenoid and/or linkage is not fully engaging, this would create a fuel starvation issue that you’re symptoms are indicative thereof.
    I’ll mention this to the tech on Monday, thank you for the suggestion.

So today I used the tractor again and after about 45 minutes it did it again. After it died I immediately checked the side and under floorboard fuel filters and they both looked full with no sediment and no indication of any air in the filters.

I pulled out my phone and I’ve never really used it for taking videos so by the time I figured it out it was running fine again. Crap well I’ll catch it next time
    Last edited by Sportshot2; 10-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55 and wildbranch2007 like this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks
    I had the same issue on mine at about 20-30 hours, fuel filters looked good and couldnít find the issue. Finally I just went ahead and replaced the floorboard fuel filter after reading some posts and bam it was fixed! The fuel filter didnít even look bad on visual inspection, but for some reason it was restricting flow. I think it is worth a shot to try to replace that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55, Jeff B, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2017 1025r
    120R Loader, 54D MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Front Hoe Bucket.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dedge522 For This Useful Post:

Sportshot2†(10-14-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast