Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Outside storage of a 1025

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks

Outside storage of a 1025

Hey all,

Is it feasible to keep a 580/700/1025 outside during both summer and winter? I live in PA, so yes we get a few feet of snow. Am I committing to rapid rust and decline by doing so or are these designed to take outside storage (with a tarp) just like any car would be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    No matter what brand, these newer machines are not made for outside storage. They will quickly rust, fade, deteriorate because of the elements. I would highly NOT recommend it. Get a cheap carport at the very least.
    Kennyd, ChrisR, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    John Deere should sell a cover for the 1 series, they did for the 3025E I have. I paid about $160 for so it's not a cheap but it works great. I had to keep my tractor outside for about year until I was able to build my shop and I used that cover exclusively. My tractor is not all "rusted up". The cover has faded badly so that tells me it did its job of keeping the sun off the tractor. I really recommend it if you have to store your tractor outside for any length of time.

It's a tractor, they can be stored outside. Ever see any stored inside at a dealer? Will the sun/rain/snow eat the seat and other parts? Yes, eventually. It would help if you could build even a lean too or three sided shed to get it out of the worst of the weather but if that isn't in the cards its not a deal killer if you ask me. Storing it outside does make it easier for someone to steal it though.

With the winters, you run a bigger chance of encountering a no start condition due when storing outside due to the battery being exposed to the elements. If you do store it outside in the winter and need to use it, I would let it warm up so you can get the hydraulic fluid warm. Your hoses and pump will like you for that. You may want to consider an oil heater and battery tender to make it easier for you start it in the winter.
    Levi, Oscar Leroy and JD4044M like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I had to keep my 1025r outside for at least a year. I really did not have any alternatives at the time. I did use a tarp, and it stayed in a wooded area, keeping the UV sun expoure to a minimum. I didn't like it, but you can only do what you can. I was working on building a pole barn to house it, and I have a roof over it now.

I would work toward some sort of shelter for it, but if you can't, well... do what you gotta do.
    Levi, Marlin and raco232 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Here's a very recent thread on this, there are many more if you do some searching with the Google in the top right of the header:

Sheltering a 1025R?
    Levi and Big like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    You Can get a temporary Garage for Below $200 Garage Tools and Shop Tools at Harbor Freight Probably a decent one to Last More than a Year would cost about $600 or Higher Sheds at Tractor Supply Co. I tarped Tractors In the Past Usually would Have a Mice Nest or 2 as well which Can still happen with a Hard shelter or a soft shelter as well But at least you won't Have as Much condensation Build Up you get By Tarping or covering them with a Tractor cover. Might Just be a Little easier to start out of the wind with a soft shelter. I do suggest Investing in the engine coolant heater for the 1025R though. I now have a insulated Barn That is heated(I don't leave the heat on though). The first year the Barn wasn't Insulated and Had you standard Barn Doors so You had a breeze In the Barn and Had No Problems starting the Diesels even though I had engine coolant heater on them I never use them. But storing outside of In a soft shelter I recommend the engine coolant heater
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    We just had a metal-3-side enclosed (with roof) covered parking area installed over a concrete slab. With fall coming quickly, and even though the vehicles are under cover, moisture (dew) to a degree, is still evident. It sure beats full exposure to the elements.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Mine has been outside for four years now. There are a couple of rust spots where paint has been scraped away. The seat, steering wheel and armrests show some fading but none of the body work does. Occasionally I will go around with a piece of sandpaper and some JD Green paint to touch up.

Obviously, anything will do better stored out of the elements. Functionally, it should make no difference, cosmetically it will suffer a bit.

If you do store outdoors, it is extra important to keep it clean. Dirt holds moisture - which leads to rust.
    HydroHarold, Levi and Oscar Leroy like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:38 AM
    Thanks
    um, they do. I got one with my '18 1025r with my original purchase from my dealer -> the box said it was compatible with the 1 and 2 series, however its pretty snug on the 1025, I can't imaging trying to put it over the larger machine. I'm keeping mine outside under the "car cover" at least until next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    John Deere should sell a cover for the 1 series, they did for the 3025E I have. I paid about $160 for so it's not a cheap but it works great. I had to keep my tractor outside for about year until I was able to build my shop and I used that cover exclusively. My tractor is not all "rusted up". The cover has faded badly so that tells me it did its job of keeping the sun off the tractor. I really recommend it if you have to store your tractor outside for any length of time.

It's a tractor, they can be stored outside. Ever see any stored inside at a dealer? Will the sun/rain/snow eat the seat and other parts? Yes, eventually. It would help if you could build even a lean too or three sided shed to get it out of the worst of the weather but if that isn't in the cards its not a deal killer if you ask me. Storing it outside does make it easier for someone to steal it though.

With the winters, you run a bigger chance of encountering a no start condition due when storing outside due to the battery being exposed to the elements. If you do store it outside in the winter and need to use it, I would let it warm up so you can get the hydraulic fluid warm. Your hoses and pump will like you for that. You may want to consider an oil heater and battery tender to make it easier for you start it in the winter.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    The dealer in our area has his entire inventory sitting out on the lawn. There must be 35 tractors all look to be series one and two. Nothing is covered rain, sleet, snow, sunshine, what ever Mother Nature throws at them they sit in it all year long.

So unless you are ordering something just shipped in the tractors outside are preweathered.

Being this is a costly tractor to purchase I feel the need to protect my investment indoors when not in use. I hate rust. But like new cars and trucks the tractors can sit in the open out doors for months un-moved or started prior to purchase. Left under the open skies for extended periods the weathering effects will take hold and appearance will degrade.

I’ve no experience on how well they start after sitting for months but an owner will most likely be shorter running frequency.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast