Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: John Deere Seat Question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-24-2019 @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Seat Question

Hello everyone ! I have owned 6/8 John Deere tractors and they all have one major flaw that drives me crazy. Everyone with a yellow seat will turn BLACK no matter what you do to it . My 2018 1025R is 1 week shy of 6 months old and its starting to turn BLACK . Problem is I can't find anything that cleans it off. I have tried everything -seat cover,armorall,its washed and dried after every use and kept in the garage. My 100e cheap Deere mower it turned BLACK in 2 months i tried to clean it with liquid pool chlorine what did i get NOTHING takes this stuff off. Still love my tractor but wish i could keep the seat nice. Anyone have any luck cleaning it ? Sorry I thought I was surrendering
    Levi, OxPath, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    It sounds like it might be something on your clothing. Over the years my X500 and 2720 seats have gotten a little dirty but nothing a little Fantastik or Simple Green wouldn't take care of.

My previous tractor was a JD 175 Hydro and while the seat started to crack after 15 years, it never turned black.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    Ever since I used Krud Kutter to clean my seat (it was very effective) it has attracted more and more dirt. That stuff did something to the vinyl to make it more sticky, using it was a mistake.
    Last edited by W9GFO; 10-29-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Levi, OxPath, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    I buy the seat covers and wash them when dirty and throw them away when the washer won't clean them. I wear a gun holster which has a metal clip near my right rear pocket and the metal is hard on the seat covers and seats.

Have you ever tried a boating product called "Roll Off"? Its in a spray bottle and its for cleaning boat exteriors and canvas as well as seats, etc. I have found few things which work as well. It has some type of wax in it which makes future cleanings easier. It takes off the scum line on the hull as well as the mold and mildew on canvas and seats.

I learned of this for my boat, but now use it on cars, I even washed my zero turn mower today with it. Its very good. Some cleaners seem to attract dirt after use. I never found that to be the case with roll off....

I would imagine any boat store sells it or you can order it online......

AMAZING ROLL-OFF QUARTS - Walmart.com
    Levi, OxPath, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    When I lived up in Pennsylvania the first year we kept our boat in a slip at a marina on the Chesapeake Bay. I didn't know you were supposed to bottom paint a boat that was left in the water at that time. We pulled it out of the water after a month and the brackish water had really done a number to the gel coat on the bottom. It took me several days but it looked like new after using oxyclean mixed with a little water and a good brush. That may work for you.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    I had some nasty black spots on my yellow seat once. I took a little Acetone and a rag it wiped right off and looked new! Just don't get carried away with it cause it can soften the plastic till it evaporates. Just a little on the rag and wipe quick let dry and your done. Never hurt my seat when I did it but sure made it look new again!
    OxPath, Old Cajun, Robnik and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It sounds like it might be something on your clothing. Over the years my X500 and 2720 seats have gotten a little dirty but nothing a little Fantastik or Simple Green wouldn't take care of.

My previous tractor was a JD 175 Hydro and while the seat started to crack after 15 years, it never turned black.
    I'll second this notion, we replaced the seat on our 2555 a couple of years ago, almost 30 years old, not a lot of seat material left but what was there was still yellow. So when we did replace it it only seemed right to buy another seat from the dealer, we got our money's worth out the original.
    Last edited by PJR832; 10-29-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    OxPath, Old Cajun and Robnik like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Mean green when needed.
    OxPath, Old Cajun, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Being that the seat is brite yellow and some kind of vinyl it will require scheduled cleaning to stay clean looking. The real bad black marks comes off with a spray of carburetor cleaner on a rag.

Another option would be to dye the vinyl black so when it gets marked up it woun’t show as much. I changed the seat on my tractor to an aftermarket with better back support and it is black. I kinda prefer the more subdued black now vs the yellow.

The rest of the tractor cleans up easy with a hose and quick wipe down with Maguires detail spray and a micro fiber towel.
    Zebrafive, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    When I was a boy, my father was the parts/service manager at the local Dodge dealership. So Saturday mornings during the school year and a few days a week in the summer had me at the dealership prepping new cars and detailing used cars. Back then, vinyl roof tops came on just about every car and Detroit hadn't learned quality matters. So it was common to have new cars arrive with glue all over the roof vinyl/surrounding body panels and grease spots in the upholstery.

We used Prep-sol (wax & grease remover) to take care of the grease spots. The glue and other more difficult mars would be taken care of with enamel reducer. There wasn't much the enamel reducer wouldn't remove and not attack the paint finish, vinyl or upholstery. To this day, I still keep a gallon of each Prep-Sol and enamel reducer in the workshop for just such tasks. My bride has found it handy for removing mars, such as black heel marks from floors.

Before I added the seat cover, my tractor seat would also acquire black streak marks that wouldn't wash off. The enamel reducer would wipe them away.
    Zebrafive, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast